What's the scoop on the Avatar Contemporary and Vintage cabs

polaris20

I'm in the process of converting (and slightly modding) my DC-5 to a head, and want a 2x12 with a couple V30's. I've had a Traditional before and it was pretty decent, but how are the Vintage and Contemporary cabs? They're modeled on Bogner and Orange cabs respectively, right?

I've got the 2x12 that looks like the OS Bogner. I loaded it with Scumbacks and it sounds great.

I had a Contemporary cab with V30's that sounded massive. They are great cabs for the cost. I got mine when I had it for $250

I have a pair of contemporary cabs that I bought last year for use with my rack rig (Simul 2:90 powered). They each have a Vintage 30 and Classic Lead 80 that are mirrored so they are in an X pattern when stacked. They sound great alone or paired. The build quality was great as was the customer service - all at a reasonable price. Can't beat it... :thumbsup:

Cool, thanks guys. Now just have to decide which........though the WhiteBox stuff looks interesting too. Never heard of them before though.

Wait a minute; Whitebox cabinets is ran by Doug White; doesn't he have something to do with Jet City, hence all the JCA stuff on their site?

EDIT

Yes he does.

yeah whitebox cabs are ran by doug white .

his cabs are top notch quality, and sound HUGE. i just ordered a 2X12 last week. after playing my buddy's whitebox cab, i will never own another avatar cab. i used to own two avatar vintage 2x12's and thought they sounded great (they do sound very good), but after playing the whitebox cab there is just no comparison. the whitebox stuff seems sturdier, and sounds a lot more full with a bigger tighter bottom end than the avatar stuff. both my avatar cabs i had, and the whitebox cab i tried had v30's in them.

MYLILSS":1ksbu9ww said:
yeah whitebox cabs are ran by doug white .

his cabs are top notch quality, and sound HUGE. i just ordered a 2X12 last week. after playing my buddy's whitebox cab, i will never own another avatar cab. i used to own two avatar vintage 2x12's and thought they sounded great (they do sound very good), but after playing the whitebox cab there is just no comparison. the whitebox stuff seems sturdier, and sounds a lot more full with a bigger tighter bottom end than the avatar stuff. both my avatar cabs i had, and the whitebox cab i tried had v30's in them.

I'm definitely doing V30's, yeah. I think Whitebox might be worth giving a shot. I like that they do wide body 1x12's too.

I dig my Contemporary 1x12! Been a great cab for the year I've had it. Fool a lot of people, thinking I'm running a 2x12.

Not dumping at all on White or Avatar.....but, at one point I sort of did the bar-napkin math on the cost of building a 412 cab, including discounted speakers and adding in labor. I just don't see how these two companies can build cabs this cheap. The profit margin has to be just above break-even. There has to be some difference (other than brand and mark-up).

Curious.....

Good point, I have done the same thing... also often thought my avatar vintage 4 x 12 sounded inferior to Marshall 1965 cabs. I did manage to get it to sound good with some Eminence Super V's but still..seems to be missing something.

Back