Whats your fave Distortion Pedal in front of a clean amp?

thenine":2q8nqcwl said:
I have always had to have a simple litttle board with this in mind as these things come up,...My fave is the Wampler Triple Wreck but might be too much for you are asking for here - although you could turn down the gain. I also like the London Bones, Marshall Shredmaster and of course MXR distortion +. YMMV

The Triple Wreck rules :rock:

I was a doubter until trying one in person. It can do slight burn to crazy monster in a box. I use it and an OCD on my pedalboard. Covers a lot of ground.

Jetter makes great stuff. More low key. R2 is two pedals in one. Like a JTM mode and JCM mode with a toggle in that mode for more gain.

I really dig my Wampler Plextortion. It was everything I thought it would be and then some. It can go from a mild break-up tone to all out modded Marshall.....all in one box. With that said, I also want to add a Triple Wreck to my collection as well.

I generally only get to run my amps clean and at lower volumes. Some pedals don't work that well for that, but these do. I really like the Barber Dirty Bomb and Hermida Distortion. The hermida is medium gain, the Dirty Bomb brings the brutalz if you want.

I also like the Original Marshall Guv'nor.

I really want to pickup a tube based OD/distortion pedal at some point. The Radial Tonebone (not sure which one) and Kingsley Jouster are both at the top of my list.

tweed":1bb4mgh1 said:
Suhr Riot is a crazy pedal bro. Give it a whirl and see what you think.

Ed always got killer tone from the Emma, may be a possibility for you as well. Or you could just be a crazy cheap ass bitch and stack a Bad Monkey into a stock SD-1 and fucking roll old school like a man. ;) :D

LMAO!!! WAY back in the day, I used to have a JCM800 that I pretty much gunned and then hit with a stacked SD-1 and GE-7 which actually sounded pretty good ( from what I remember and was told several times)

The funny thing about it was watching people in the audience scatter at the end of the tune because if I didnt step on the 2 pedals in time, the damn thing howled like a Jet getting ready for take off!!!

Gainzilla":21a9rbe3 said:
LMAO!!! WAY back in the day, I used to have a JCM800 that I pretty much gunned and then hit with a stacked SD-1 and GE-7 which actually sounded pretty good ( from what I remember and was told several times)

I currently run this setup Kage. :LOL: :LOL:

Distortus Maximus

Though this review is in a foreign language, it has the most accurate tones of any review I've seen on this pedal.

Rash":3ccck8et said:
Gainzilla":3ccck8et said:
The reason that I ask is that sometimes, its just not possible to lug your rig somewhere to play and you want something thats small and convenient that you could plug into the front of practically anything and get your sound.

The tone that Im going for is in the Schon Moore Schenker vein and Id love the pedal to be able to stack well with another pedal like an OD that I could hit for solos to give just a hint more gain to get into that liquidy lead area. Feel is really important as well..

So far, the Wampler SLOstortion and Plexitortion along with the XTS Atomic Overdrive sound really good from what Ive heard

Im not a metal guy and have no desire for anything "brutal", Think 70's 80's hard /heavy rock...

Kage

Check the Plexitone from Carl Martin, I checked a lot of pedals, by far the best for your sound/application, heard there is a improved version by another modder available, but it kills even stock (I do not know the atomic and wamplers).

It is also better to tame the sizzle of your clean amp, i.e. scumback m75 or and perhaps less bright valve....

The only pedal, which I like better, is a expensively/strongly tuned bad cat pedal I own (i do not like (hate) it stock)....

Kai

+1 for the Plexitone!!! You get a basic gain that has lots of crunch plus a lead gain AND a boost all in one. I use it when I want something that's stupid simple. Throw a wah, Plexitone, a delay, and clean amp and you've got most everything you need for a basic rock gig.

TeleBlaster":1iw5clj7 said:
Distortus Maximus

Though this review is in a foreign language, it has the most accurate tones of any review I've seen on this pedal.
I keep seeing and hearing good things about these pedals and that video has some really good tones. I certainly wouldn't mind giving this one a try as well. They can be had for a great price as well.

1big1":1uxp39z5 said:
Aristocat":1uxp39z5 said:
BK Butler Tube Driver hands down for me.

+1. boosted with a jauernig luxury drive for leads.

Haven't tried that and since I don't have my TD anymore, I'm trying to find a new boost for my Friedman. I think I'm gonna add Koko Boost to my list.

Try one of those new Bogner pedals when they come out in a couple weeks. Get the Red channel XTC one....let us know how it is? :thumbsup:

This and a delay/ reverb, I'd be able to get great sound from any clean amp. Two of their best drive pedals plus a boost that can be pre or post drive.

xts_preamp_lg.jpg

crwnedblasphemy":p0j5oxte said:
Try one of those new Bogner pedals when they come out in a couple weeks. Get the Red channel XTC one....let us know how it is? :thumbsup:

I want one of those so badly. The funny thing is that I like using a dedicated dirty amp and a dedicated clean amp. Or rolling down my volume knob depending on what I'm playing through.

If I still had my Dual Showman then that Red would be perfect for it. :no:

The hard part that I've found is that different pedals interact differently and sometimes VERY differently-- depending on the amp/guitar they're paired up with.

The Boss Power Stack, I think-- is a pretty cool pedal for what you're describing. Surprised me. Easy to get, simple to use, small footprint, standard 9VDC power supply.

I like the CmatMods Brownie w/ both JFETs installed. Small footprint and seems to work well w/ a bunch of amps and guitar types, and uses a standard 9VDC power supply, and cleans up like a tube amp when you roll down the guitar volume knob.

I also like the Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal in front of Fender, and Marshall amps. (Small footprint and pretty inexpensive, also uses a standard 9VDC power supply)

I've gotten both hit and miss results from the Radial Tonebone Classic and Hot Brit, as well as the Carl Martin Plexitortion with various amps. I do like the pedals though. The downside can be the size of the footprint and the 15VDC power supply, w/ the Radial)

Back