What's your favorite pick Nylon, Ultex, Acrylic, Tortex ?

What's your favorite pick Nylon Ultex or Tortex ?

• Nylon

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • Acrylic

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Celluloid

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Tortex

Votes: 42 38.2%
  • Ultex

Votes: 41 37.3%

• Total voters
I was using 2.0 and switched to .73 about a month ago. The tip shape effects the tone and attack as much as the material and thickness.

Kind of interesting how using different picks effects how I play. I find my technique and what I play changes a lot with different picks.

stephen sawall":372uzbam said:
mctallica1":372uzbam said:
mctallica1":372uzbam said:
I've been using the green tortex for a long time, but this thread caused me to order a few of the Black Fang 94's. We shall see.

Arrived yesterday.

Wasn't expecting to feel or hear much of a difference, but I was WRONG.

I really like these picks. My trusty green tortex have been officially kicked,to the curb.

This seems weird to me, but I actually may back off a little presence on both amps, because these pics sound "brighter" to me.

Ultex is brighter than Tortex.

It's pretty interesting how different the sound of these various picks can be.
Yes for sure, I use the gold ultex sharp and the black fangs exclusively, because I don't like a blunt or dull sounding pick. (Although I do find the ultex sharps to be brighter/snappier than the black fangs)

stephen sawall":1eu0za8v said:
The other day I was liking the blunt sound better than the sharp. Slower attack but bigger sound.
I keep a few nylon & tortex picks on hand for that too. They work better with brighter sounding guitars as well like my Fender.

The only other Pick I considered was the Clayton Rounded Triangle in .80mm. I wonder if anyone here uses pics that size. I had a Kerry King Pick which is what made me try the larger shape & then I went back to the .73mm Tortex.

I think I'm back at the yellow Tortex.... It was my main pick from the late 80's till about 2010. The sound and feel is just so right for many things I do.

Anyway Friday I picked up a other three dozen different picks to try.

Docster":153yjl3z said:
Dunlop Max Grip Jazz III Carbon Fiber - anybody else using these?
I've been using them for a while now. I was using the regular black Jazz III's before that.

I go between the Ultex Normal 1 or 1.14 and the Cool Pick Juratex 1.0/1.20 depending on the guitar. IMO, the guitar pick is often taken for granted on how much it contributes to the tone recipe. The Juratex pick awesome though....is not overly bright(just right for a bright guitar but still not too dark) and glides over the strings so easily, very fast.

Back