Who said the XTC can’t do the heaviest of tones? Let’s see!

VESmedic

I know I sure did…

Had a friend grab a 101B. I just wanna say first of all, this is bar none one of the greatest amps ever made…. I know, it’s a real shocking revelation. But it’s the first time I’ve actually sat down with one in a studio in a long time. Just literally one of the best sounding amps on earth that can do ANYTHING. I haven’t wanted an amp for a long time, but I’ll be getting a 101B finally after looking at them for 20 years since I was 15 .

Also… this new mic: the TUL G12: not really new, but it seems to be just now gaining steam. I absolutely love it. It sounds fantastic with a 57, phases better than just about anything, and is stupid easy to get great tones out of. If you’re dead set on adding another microphone to mic your cab up with, get this. Seriously . Trust me.

I REALLY should post more of this amp doing more than this, but this was such a sick tone, and couldn’t believe that once again, the peppers dirty tree is such an amazing boost. Enjoy.

Bogner XTC 101B
Peppers dirty tree
Mesa OS 4x12
Unidyne sm57
TUL G12: dead center on the cone
BAE 1073s

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/Ws42NgSTn2Tqt32J6

I have a mid 90's xtc 101b
I bought it used in 97 I believe ?
It came from the original Culprit guitarist Johnny Devol
I will not part ways with it.
Super versatile amp.
Bogners sound great but there is a lot of tweaking you can do .
I would call the xtc the Swiss army knife of amps.
Sounds good rock on !

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Again, this amp is exceptional, and can do anything, and the tones I’m getting for rock, country etc is amazing as I’m sure you all know that own one. No doubt if I was still playing country in Nashville and was going to use a real amp again, this is what I would be using.

I'll have to see if my 3534 can get close to that. Only boost pedal I have is a Maxon 808. This is very tempting.

Not to be a Debby downer, but you won’t get this sound with a maxon, just too midrangey and saturated compared to the eq curve of the peppers dirty tree. BUT I’m sure it’ll still sound great regardless!

That’s perfect

Thanks man. Pretty insane amp overrall. I like a lot of new amps, but man…. This thing smokes most of the newer’ish amps I think. Absolutely no question why it’s a legend. Sure it might have a hard time getting the absolutely heaviest of tones ( or maybe not!) but this thing just has so much tone. Love it.

I can't tell the characteristics of the amp in that recording...can you please do a cell phone recording with the mic faced down?? 😄 🤣

Seriously that sounds really heavy and I like that riff too!

Thanks man. Pretty insane amp overrall. I like a lot of new amps, but man…. This thing smokes most of the newer’ish amps I think. Absolutely no question why it’s a legend. Sure it might have a hard time getting the absolutely heaviest of tones ( or maybe not!) but this thing just has so much tone. Love it.
That’s sounds heavy as needed to my ears . Like you I collect amps yo get all these different flavors . You just never know . Today I ran my 100 EVH Stealth through my Uberkab and it was just ridiculous. So many combos to try . I have an Uberschall head but I’ve always wanted to an ecstasy and it sounds great here

Back