Who uses the GSP1101 extensively?

deadweight

I just got one and was wondering how others were using it (by itself for recording, with a power amp or with a head). Any body using it for heavy thrash type stuff?

I've been using mine in a 4-cable hook-up with my SigX head for awhile now. I also use the stereo outs directly into my recording console for direct recording at the same time. Get the best of both worlds and keep it hooked up that way always. If I just want to hear the amp and not the monitors I can just turn down the channels on the mixer. This works well live also. I just use the free red-wire impulses for speaker sims and have found them to be more than adequate.
I don't use the gsp1101 amps very often (much prefer the SigX) but find the od's, wah pedal and all the effects very good. I use the Control2 floorboard and it rocks!

I'm currently using it in a cover band with the control2 floorboard, a 31 band eq, velocity 300 poweramp, and a cab loaded with V30s. We're playing old thrash (Anthrax,Slayer,Metallica,Megadeth etc). The modelings not the greatest but you can get some good tones out of it if you create your own presets. Go to http://mustbebeta.com/ and get x-edit and version c63 firmware update. (if you haven't already) Its a beta firmware put out by programmers for Digitech with loads more amp, cab and effect models. They also have an I.R. loader so you can load your own cab impulses.

yeah ive got the firmware and im using the God's cab impulses they sound pretty good but ive only been fucking around through headphones so far

I've Ben using it for a couple years with Diezel Herbert and digitech control 2 footboard. Don't use amp models. But I love this unit. It is the closest rack unit to actual pedals. It's so simple to use n does NOT color tone. It switches presets fast no lag. All the fx sound real !

Been using it quite a bit for the last year. FX only via 4CM. Would like to get another one to use at home to do simple recording with.

I'm using it for all of my Effects and to Switch channels on my Fortin Modded JVM. One of the best pieces of gear to come out in a long time IMHO.

Gainfreak":jyb5z44p said:
I'm using it for all of my Effects and to Switch channels on my Fortin Modded JVM. One of the best pieces of gear to come out in a long time IMHO.

I've always wanted to be a golf club..........................

I use one as my rig as well as my guitar player. We both run it into a Mesa 50/50 power amp. IMHO the tube power amp really warms it up. I agree that the presets are just OK..but if you take the time to create your own you can have tons of killer tones at your feet.

Man, now you got me thinking...I used to have one of these with a Control 2 floorboard, and ran it into a Velocity 300 power amp, but I went back to tube amps and sold it. I've been thinking of getting back on the midi train for my JVM and using a midi capable effects unit, but maybe I should just grab another one of these and run it in 4CM for effects and set it up to send midi to my JVM...I really liked the unit when I had it, but the amp models didn't compare to the real thing for my main tone, usable in a live mix, but not all the way there. This would be a pretty flexible setup...

retrojet":13wnl2xs said:
Man, now you got me thinking...I used to have one of these with a Control 2 floorboard, and ran it into a Velocity 300 power amp, but I went back to tube amps and sold it. I've been thinking of getting back on the midi train for my JVM and using a midi capable effects unit, but maybe I should just grab another one of these and run it in 4CM for effects and set it up to send midi to my JVM...I really liked the unit when I had it, but the amp models didn't compare to the real thing for my main tone, usable in a live mix, but not all the way there. This would be a pretty flexible setup...
You just described the Rig that Im using right now and I can tell you from experiance that it's the easiest,Cheapest and best sounding rig that Ive used in a Long time.
The GSP syncs up with the JVM flawlessy! I use the GSp to switch the JVM and effects on the fly. It's almost to easy which I canot say for other rigs Ive used. It's way easier to use then the freaking GCX switcher I had that's for FERAKING SURE.
I scored a used GSp1101 and control 2 for under $500 for the pair.
I run it with the 4CM and it works like a dream.

You should check out the TGP modeling forum. There's at least a couple guys there who have been gigging with theirs for years and are very happy with it. I considered buying that unit and the floorboard but went with the RP355. To me it wasn't worth the extra expense, size, need to rack it. AFAIK the amp models don't take advantage of the extra DNA2 cpu in the GSP1101, so they don't don't sound any better than the RP355. All you seem to gain with the GSP1101 is a better backlit screen.

bikerdude2":ap36wwmr said:
I use one as my rig as well as my guitar player. We both run it into a Mesa 50/50 power amp. IMHO the tube power amp really warms it up. I agree that the presets are just OK..but if you take the time to create your own you can have tons of killer tones at your feet.

I've been thinking of doing that for a while. I have a 50/50 poweramp but don't really use it now, but don't want to sell it either as it could be of use in the future. A GSP1101 and the 50/50 with a 2x12 cab & small footswitcher would be a great, compact stereo live rig for pubs. Better than a string of dirt pedals into a combo amp.

deadweight":3skb0aqq said:
seems like some guys run it through the power section of an amp head, how do you do this, is that the 4cm?

Kinda... it gives you the option of using your amps preamp section or the GSP amp models. You can set up your patches either way for endless options. Very cool way to work!

4-cable hook-up

- Guitar to GSP input.
- GSP send to amp guitar input.
- Amp loop send to GSP return.
- GSP output to amp loop return.

to have the gsp1101 switch your amp channels and switch between your amp tone and the models the amp head needs to be midi capable right?

deadweight":g8q0qk02 said:
to have the gsp1101 switch your amp channels and switch between your amp tone and the models the amp head needs to be midi capable right?

To switch your amps channels, yes. To switch between your amp tone and the gsp amp models you just need to program your patches. You can program your individual patches to use either internal (gsp) or external (your amp) tones. You can still switch your amp channels with a separate switch if you don't have a midi capable amp. I think there might be some other options I just haven't found the need. I use clean amp models in the gsp and dirty sounds from my amp.

Back