Wolf Van Halen - Behind the Music

JohnnyGtar

Fuck, this is hard to watch. It's breaking my heart.

I cried. Val and Wolf, God Bless You. RIP Ed.

Last edited:
I saw new some photos of wolf at 5150 with all of Ed’s iconic guitars hanging there. May have been from the show. I got bummed realizing those guitars weren’t getting played anymore.

Just saw him last night, that dude is he real deal. 5 dudes onstage, no click or backing tracks, real amps, vocal harmonies, they delivered.

It was kind of like being at a Fooshuggah show, much heavier than his albums and I think at one point they played a few seconds of “Bleed”. He did “Distance” just solo acoustic and when that dude starts belting, he can really fuckin’ sing.

Hahaha there was a dude behind me that was quiet the entire time, but every solo he’d erupt with “WOOOOO!!! YEAH!!!!!!! FUCK YEAH!!!! YOU HEAR THAT?!?!! THAT”S EDDIE COMING THROUGH HIM!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!” and if Wolf finger tapped…..ohhhh man, that dude was ready to burst.

Pretty cool seeing how he’s got a legit fan base that are singing the songs right back at him. I’m anxious to hear where his music goes when he grows a bit more and starts really honing the Wolfgang thing and not being led by his influences as much.

Nepotism selling Amazon prime how does that work ?
WG hasn't proven anything to me yet except he had a famous father.
And his Mom just last week was in an article about her hubby of the month and how her and Ed were never "soulmates".
The whole family certainly is into "merch".

I like the music and it's obvious Wlofgang has talent.

He obviously had the best teacher and although the music is good, it's nothing really special.

There are plenty of good musicians that don't get the recognition because their dad wasn't EVH.

I spent a few minutes chatting with Wolf backstage at the Motley / Def show outside of Dublin, Ireland. Really nice kid, and clearly very talented. Solid guy all around.

Last edited:
Just saw him last night, that dude is he real deal. 5 dudes onstage, no click or backing tracks, real amps, vocal harmonies, they delivered.

It was kind of like being at a Fooshuggah show, much heavier than his albums and I think at one point they played a few seconds of “Bleed”. He did “Distance” just solo acoustic and when that dude starts belting, he can really fuckin’ sing.

Hahaha there was a dude behind me that was quiet the entire time, but every solo he’d erupt with “WOOOOO!!! YEAH!!!!!!! FUCK YEAH!!!! YOU HEAR THAT?!?!! THAT”S EDDIE COMING THROUGH HIM!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!” and if Wolf finger tapped…..ohhhh man, that dude was ready to burst.

Pretty cool seeing how he’s got a legit fan base that are singing the songs right back at him. I’m anxious to hear where his music goes when he grows a bit more and starts really honing the Wolfgang thing and not being led by his influences as much.

Yep, he's the real deal. His name opens doors and he knows that, but that alone won't get you far if you suck musically. Wolf kicks ass. He could make a fortune playing Van Halen tunes. At the Taylor Hawkins tributes, he played Van Halen tunes and I would have sworn it was Ed if I hadn't seen the videos. NOBODY sounds more like Ed than Wolf when he wants to play those tunes. But he doesn't play Van Halen tunes. Dude wants to stand or fall on his own. I respect that. He's talented up the wazoo, the crowds love him and his band is killing it live. I get so tired of the "nepotism" whining. He's got the goods and it's obvious.

Last edited:
Nepotism selling Amazon prime how does that work ?
WG hasn't proven anything to me yet except he had a famous father.
And his Mom just last week was in an article about her hubby of the month and how her and Ed were never "soulmates".
The whole family certainly is into "merch".
He doesn't need to prove shit to you Dan. He is his own man, carving his own path in life. Do we really need another "EVH" clone? I can only imagine the pressure on him is immense.

I like the music and it's obvious Wlofgang has talent.

He obviously had the best teacher and although the music is good, it's nothing really special.

There are plenty of good musicians that don't get the recognition because their dad wasn't EVH.

Should he not play music because his dad is a legend?

He doesn't need to prove shit to you Dan. He is his own man, carving his own path in life. Do we really need another "EVH" clone? I can only imagine the pressure on him is immense.
0*2gpmJnYE-VjXArjE.gif

Ho hum, more RT love ... i spend little time here. busy with work.
Nobody said anyone had to prove anything. Its a forum.
Im sure when his money runs out he'll be a regular Joe.
0.00 Fucks given.

I suppose WG's "album" would be nothing else but " good" after spending multi-millions with the best equiptment and studios possible.
They sound like a garage band live. Why was he only a Bass player with his dad ? Why didn't he play 2nd fiddle or lead then ?
Would actually have meaning starting from scratch with nothing "no whatamean Vern" ?

253397__93023.1519457755.1280.1280.jpg

Last edited:
LOL this is awesome.

Some brainchild in some Blabbermouth comments was calling him a hypocrite for not playing VH tunes at his own shows, but he’ll do them at guest spots, then also wrote he should change his last name to stop riding his dad’s coattails.

Can’t make this shit up. :LOL:

His music is solid and sounds nothing like Van Halen. To me, he has a vibe like Foo Fighters, just good solid hard rock.

Wolfgang could have easily have joined up with DLR, his uncle, Michael Anthony, Sammy, etc and played the songs in place of his Dad and made a ton of money. He wants to do his own thing.

Back