Would a 50-watt step down transformer be enough to use a Mesa Boogie Quad?

nightlight

Just wondering if anyone could advise.me on whether a 50-watt step down transformer would be enough to power a 110V Mesa Boogie Quad from 220V mains power.

This preamp doesn't have a power amp section, so I'm hoping it doesn't need me to use a much higher rated step down transformer. I have a 3000-watt step down transformer that I've been using till now, but space is at a premium in my current place and I'm hoping to just be able to put it into storage.

Don't want to run it unless I'm sure that.I won't cause the transformer to short out or the amp to blow up.

Whatever the power consumption is for the device, you need to have 3x that amount in the rating for the step trans. The more the merrier though, and some go 4x to be safe. So, for a Superlead I think its 275w, so 1500w is a safe version to buy. 1000w would be taking too much of a chance.

Just wondering if anyone could advise.me on whether a 50-watt step down transformer would be enough to power a 110V Mesa Boogie Quad from 220V mains power.

This preamp doesn't have a power amp section, so I'm hoping it doesn't need me to use a much higher rated step down transformer. I have a 3000-watt step down transformer that I've been using till now, but space is at a premium in my current place and I'm hoping to just be able to put it into storage.

Don't want to run it unless I'm sure that.I won't cause the transformer to short out or the amp to blow up.
I should also mention the rating/power consumption is usually stamped next to the power cord on the unit.

I had a Mesa.studio preamp USA model (115v) and my technician rewired the internal transformer to use it in European voltage (230v)...it is a very simple modification.

I should also mention the rating/power consumption is usually stamped next to the power cord on the unit.
I'll check that out, thanks.

I had a Mesa.studio preamp USA model (115v) and my technician rewired the internal transformer to use it in European voltage (230v)...it is a very simple modification.

I've heard Mesa Boogies are notoriously difficult to change the transformer without having a matching one in the desired voltage. I also don't have a good tech on hand, unfortunately.

You don't need to change the transformer....
simply wire the appropriate internal windings for the desired voltage...

Back