WTB: Early to mid 90s Soldano SLO-100

I just thought you guys had some relations/know each other with Dave. No need to count me a fool, my friend.
Not a fool, but definitely rude and entitled. Ask him more what exactly? How about you not assume some guy wants to be your go between with an amp maker when you could very easily do it yourself. Even if they had a relationship with Dave, he’s not going to hide anything from you about the amps that he would tell them. It’s just not something an adult would ask if you respect other adults time.

Not a fool, but definitely rude and entitled. Ask him more what exactly? How about you not assume some guy wants to be your go between with an amp maker when you could very easily do it yourself. Even if they had a relationship with Dave, he’s not going to hide anything from you about the amps that he would tell them. It’s just not something an adult would ask if you respect other adults time.
It's cool man. I sent him Dave's email yesterday in a DM.

Friedman and Soldano prefer now the new transformers and circuit changes, because they have money from the new amps made by BAD.
I remember, Mike Soldano want any changes at the original Seattle days SLO production. It was big pressure to him because of effect loop placement. But Mike answer was “ the effect loop position is part of the SLO sound, and He dont want to change that. “ Same with Deyoung transforners, which are military grade trannies, and where developed specially for original SLO 100 in the 80s.

All amp gurus can confirm, the transformers are the heart of all tube amps with big tone influence.

The MK2 SLO is “budget” inspired version.
This is not accurate. Mike had the new circuit developed long before BAD came along. He spoke openly around the time of the HR25 coming out that the SLO would benefit from a lot of the new things that he had learned that made it into the HR25.

IMO...I got one of the very early MK2 SLO's and would have basically sent the old out packing within minutes of my first A/B test, but, decided to sleep on it a few days and do more tests. The new amp won every single time.

This is not accurate. Mike had the new circuit developed long before BAD came along. He spoke openly around the time of the HR25 coming out that the SLO would benefit from a lot of the new things that he had learned that made it into the HR25.

IMO...I got one of the very early MK2 SLO's and would have basically sent the old out packing within minutes of my first A/B test, but, decided to sleep on it a few days and do more tests. The new amp won every single time.
There are lot of players with opinion, the MK2 SLO 100 plays easier oposite to original SLO.
I agree with this statement, because the transformators are redesigned for actual needs, and the effect loop placement is diferent, and there are another changes in the circuit. The original SLO was designed for stadium rock and rack efects.

But the original SLO had much better components: military grade Deyoung trannies, military grade Clarostat potentiometers, better pcb, capacitors and wires.

The sound is individual thing, but the original SLO 100 is better quality amp. Mike offered lifetime warranty for the original SLO.

A lot of guys talk about the “magic” DeYoung transformers from the older amps, but Dave Friedman and Mike Soldano are on record (in a Tonetalk interview) saying that they preferred the new BAD versions. They did a A/B comparison between the two. The exact words were “the BAD version is as good, if not better than the old version.”
Their words would inspire more confidence if they said, "the BAD version is better, period". No wishy washy "as good" that contradicts the following "if not better". I get the phrase and what it means, but they don't seem convinced to me, at least going by what they said and what they didn't say.

Their words would inspire more confidence if they said, "the BAD version is better, period". No wishy washy "as good" that contradicts the following "if not better". I get the phrase and what it means, but they don't seem convinced to me, at least going by what they said and what they didn't say.
All I know is that Dave and Mike are stand-up guys with a lot of amp knowledge and experience. They’re not the kind of people who would put out a lesser version/copy of a product to make a quick buck, like some people in this thread are claiming. It wouldn’t leave the factory unless it met their high standards. I take them at their word.

There are a lot of myths that circulate online guitar forums and are taken as gospel, for whatever reason. As I learn more about how amps work at a fundamental level, I’m realizing a lot of the stuff people hype up is either greatly exaggerated or bullshit.

All I know is that Dave and Mike are stand-up guys with a lot of amp knowledge and experience. They’re not the kind of people who would put out a lesser version/copy of a product to make a quick buck, like some people in this thread are claiming. It wouldn’t leave the factory unless it met their high standards. I take them at their word.

There are a lot of myths that circulate online guitar forums and are taken as gospel, for whatever reason. As I learn more about how amps work at a fundamental level, I’m realizing a lot of the stuff people hype up is either greatly exaggerated or bullshit.
I think the bottom line is the amp is made with quality and attention to detail. Can subtle changes in sound happen when you change the circuit? Sure. Some people will actually prefer that change, how ever so subtle. As always the best way is to play one and grip it and rip it. If you get a shit eating grin on your face, you’re there.

Last edited:
I can't imagine Soldano release amp under his name and said the older ones are better :) This is not how business works. Also 60 year old pair of ears is not the best judge in this.
I had SLO MK2 and played 2010 DeYoung SLO100 and despite perfect loop and lower noise I choose older one in a heartbeat. The new one has stiffer feel and 'harder' sound. I like feel of SLO30 and the older one is has it with massive 100W iron behind it. It is comparable to vintage 2203 vs reissue, X version sound great but it is not the same like the original.
Sorry for OT.

Man, now I want to set up an amp switcher, feed it with a pre-Norlin Les Paul and feed it into a Pre-Cameron Bogner (2004?), a pre Peavey Budda, a pre BAD SLO and a pre Gibson Mesa, into some Pre-Chinese UK greenback cabs paired with 80’s Celestions Vintage speakers and just Orgasm like Snow White in a 7 party gang bang with those 3rd legged, midget motherfuckers!

Can’t see how something with a please in the end might be rude. I myself would have no problem with such request. But might just be different where I am from :)

Anyway I got Dave’s email from pipboy90, so you might return to peaceful condition 😂

Last edited:

BAD offer lifetime warranty for the new SLO 100?

Mike offered lifetime warranty for original SLO 100, because of high quality parts.

I dunno if anyone's mentioned it yet, but in the Soldano group on FB someone is selling a 92.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230613_140748_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230613_140748_Facebook.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 42
There are lot of players with opinion, the MK2 SLO 100 plays easier oposite to original SLO.
I agree with this statement, because the transformators are redesigned for actual needs, and the effect loop placement is diferent, and there are another changes in the circuit. The original SLO was designed for stadium rock and rack efects.

But the original SLO had much better components: military grade Deyoung trannies, military grade Clarostat potentiometers, better pcb, capacitors and wires.

The sound is individual thing, but the original SLO 100 is better quality amp. Mike offered lifetime warranty for the original SLO.
I don't disagree about the components being the very best Mike could find although I will say have 5-6 BAD amps and believe that Dave & co at BAD do use excellent components.

Another important thing to consider about the design updates: the quality of tubes in 2023 is dramatically different than 1987 and not in a good way. I was fortunate to get a shop tour of the Seattle shop (Mike was SUPER friendly and generous with his time, btw) in roughly 2017 and one thing he said that stuck out to me was that he was really struggling to find 12AX7's that were "good enough" for the SLO, and that he would "pull a tube out an SLO that was way too noisy and it would work just fine in the HR25" thanks to the addition of the DC heaters. IMO, this is probably one of the key things that made the new version sound better to my ears. In early 2018, my SLO red-plated and ruined a few really good tubes (preamp and power amp tubes, separate incidents). I tried quite a few tubes in it after that but it never quite sounded as good after that. The new SLO sounds pretty good with everything I have put in it. Food for thought for those deciding which amp is right for them!

Back