HIGH GAIN WARS SHOOTOUT 2013/2014 LOS ANGELES/ORANGE COUNTY

So I've been enjoying my Diezel Herbert for the past year now, along with its matching Diezel 4x12 Rear Loaded.
If I could go back in time I would have gotten the FL with the G12 K100s but... Live and learn. Still love the Cab I have but I keep hearing how great the FLs are and especially with the Herbert. But I digress.

Last year I attempted a high gain tube amp head shootout down in OC (Orange County south of LA for you non-US readers).

Amps I tried in order of best to worst in my humble and very subjective opine:

2013 Orange County --->

* Diezel Herbert (heavily used and likely needing a retube. This amp won hands down and even drew a small crowd!)

* EVH 5150 III (I was amazed at how great this amp sounded, the gain and saturation were amazing!)

To be honest, the Marshall JVM, Mesa Mark V, Triple Rec and Dual Rec all left me flat and cold, just as the couple Bogners I tried. Although I was unable to test a Bogner Uberschall.

That said, now I'm living in LA again and there's a Schecter Hellwin around the corner, going to try it this week.
And there's a Soldano SLO-100 across the street from that, along with an Engl Powerball which I forgot to mention I played just before I moved in OC and it didn't "stack" up to the Diezel Herbert nor the EVH either (pun intended).

Granted, opinions are like you know what's, but with fresh ears and an admitted Diezel slant, I will report back on the Schecter Hellwin, the Soldano, and Im even going to the Engl North Hollywood Boutique this coming week to try other Engls besides the P-Ball 2.
I'm actually hoping something (besides say a Diezel Vh4 or Diezel Hagen) will come close to my Herbert or the EVH 5150 III but so far nothing's in the ball park.

DIEZEL UBER ALLES!!!

Mr. Diezel:

I forgot to mention I bought a D-Moll before the Herbert but turned around and sold it pretty fast. I sometimes like to play Metal on a single coil Strat (Fender American) and even with the DiMarzios in there it just didn't get the beefy crunch the Herbert or the EVH 5150 III (and ONLY those two) amps provided! So regarding improvements on the D-Moll I would say crank the saturation and balls and chunk. For the Herbert, there is absolutely nothing you could do to make that amp better. It just... "SINGS!" :rock:

Also to Herr Diezel, I did get the stickers with each head but it would be VERY cool if Diezel Swag became available once more. I realize time and resources may be limited for this sort of stuff, but those of us who shell out 4k for an amp (plus 1.5 k for the matching cab) would surely love to brag about our purchases by rocking (and providing Diezel Amps FREE promotion - technically we'd be paying YOU to promote YOU!) Diezel T-Shirts, Snapbacks (baseball caps), etc. I believe you had them before. You should bring them back! I get all kinds of questions about the lone, black and white Diezel sticker on the back bumper of our modest 2002 Green Honda Accord whipping around Los Angeles!

Rezamatix: I was just on Sunset Blvd. last weekend and saw the Schecter Hellwin at Sam Ash and Guitar Center had only a Herbert and an Engl Powerball and Soldano SLO-100, the Hagen is gone! I saw it a few months back when we drove up from Orange County but it was gone before I could test it out. That geezer on You Tube who is cool as hell and shreds for an older dude takes about a Hagen and dissects and discusses its innards has me very curious to test one out! I own the Herbert and have played my friends Einstein and the D-Moll I owned but I'm dying to play a VH4 and Hagen, maybe even add one! :D

Peter Diezel":r5oc4qn2 said:
Thanks Mike :thumbsup:

What can we do better on the Herbert ?
I mean sound wise.

Cheers,
Peter

MikeToddOnline":r5oc4qn2 said:
Mr. Diezel:
For the Herbert, there is absolutely nothing you could do to make that amp better. It just... "SINGS!" :rock:

This is EXACTLY it. Herbert may just be the perfect amp :rock: :rock:

GtarLover you got it man, the Herbert IS the perfect amp!
I mean sure I still need to try Vh4 and Hagen but out of the three Diezels I have played it is NOTICEABLY superior to Einstein and D-Moll, and nothing else (except EVH 5150 III even came close!).

I do still need to try an Uberschall, the Hellwin, maybe some other Engls but I really doubt anything would near the Herbert except maybe the newer VH4s or a Hagen.

As for the D-Moll comment, I don't know. I tried to mess with it for weeks and with a single coil guitar it just has no balls. Im sure with a Humbucker it's fine, but with my Herbert, even a single coil Strat sounds MONSTROUS!!! That's my true test of an amp. How does a STRAT sound through it. A Les Paul Custom (provided you can play well) is going to sound decent through pretty much anything.

Engl?
There is no need to try Engl?
Why are they so popular in the USofA?
All these amps you listed are high class, but not Engl. The only one Engl I found to sound good is the Blackmore. This is a masterpiece.
Even the Morse sig I listened at his clinic sounded ok, but not more.

Bato":1fw6ba9l said:
The only one Engl I found to sound good is the Blackmore.
Yea, that's because it is the least ENGL-sounding ENGL and has great mids and is overall an under-appreciated amp. :D :LOL: :LOL:

Bato":1fw6ba9l said:
Some guitarists from the States once explained to me that ENGL is the "uber secret" insider's tip in the States where allegedly Diezels are widely more popular so ENGLs are the "rare" ones. I found it hard to believe but who am I to argue with international brand perception... :confused: also the Mud-ball 2 seems to be the go-to for all those mud-core "music" styles.
Plus Rammstein posed with some engls sometimes, I think.

ENGLS are popular in US because their website has "endorsees" like Priest and Mike Romeo and because the rest of the World copies Hollywood and Nashville and NYC and here in LA we have the "Engl Boutique" so a lot of local dudes probably shop there. Plus let's face it if you're poor which most people are, you get what you can afford. Few people except touring pros with record deals are going to shell out $4k for a Herbert whereas a mechanic or someone would be able to save $2200 for a Powerball and better still an EVH 5150 III for $1,800. I believe Peter has solved this dilemma by moving on from the D-Mol and coming out with the little fucker as I call it <3 aka Lil Fokker. Speaking of which, it's in the new MUSICIAN'S FRIEND of all things. One thing I never thought I would ever see is a Diezel Amp in a mainstream catalog but as a smart German knows, you can make more money selling a ton of Series 3 and Series 5 low end BMW than you can a few of the super high end ones. Thus, we will likely see a balance within Diezel Amps wherein those of us fortunate enough to afford Herbs and Hagens and VH4s will continue to buy them and enjoy the high end greatness while dudes on restricted budget can still dial "the Diezel" tones on the little fucker. Im not sure how the Zerrer will fare but according to Trent Reznor and others there is a huge demand for "boutique pedals" and synth boxes and gadgets so depending on the marketing those could sell real well too. If the little fucker makes up for what i felt was lacking in the D-moll and equals the 5150 III in terms of gain and clean channel headroom, etc. that amp is gonna be a monster seller! Advertising is expensive but a simple ad in Guitar World or Guitar Player may help kickstart sales. I know I spread the Diezel word when and wherever I can (to include rocking the sticker on our car around LA) and WOULD wear a T-Shirt in Acting/Modeling gigs if I HAD one (hint) :)

Kahawe do you think if we keep hinting, one day we'll see a merch tab on the Diezel site restocked liberally with caps, T's, sweatshirts and stickers? :D

MikeToddOnline":s7ar2bev said:
ENGLS are popular in US because their website has "endorsees" like Priest and Mike Romeo and because the rest of the World copies Hollywood and Nashville and NYC and here in LA we have the "Engl Boutique" so a lot of local dudes probably shop there. Plus let's face it if you're poor which most people are, you get what you can afford. Few people except touring pros with record deals are going to shell out $4k for a Herbert whereas a mechanic or someone would be able to save $2200 for a Powerball and better still an EVH 5150 III for $1,800. I believe Peter has solved this dilemma by moving on from the D-Mol and coming out with the little fucker as I call it <3 aka Lil Fokker. Speaking of which, it's in the new MUSICIAN'S FRIEND of all things. One thing I never thought I would ever see is a Diezel Amp in a mainstream catalog but as a smart German knows, you can make more money selling a ton of Series 3 and Series 5 low end BMW than you can a few of the super high end ones. Thus, we will likely see a balance within Diezel Amps wherein those of us fortunate enough to afford Herbs and Hagens and VH4s will continue to buy them and enjoy the high end greatness while dudes on restricted budget can still dial "the Diezel" tones on the little fucker. Im not sure how the Zerrer will fare but according to Trent Reznor and others there is a huge demand for "boutique pedals" and synth boxes and gadgets so depending on the marketing those could sell real well too. If the little fucker makes up for what i felt was lacking in the D-moll and equals the 5150 III in terms of gain and clean channel headroom, etc. that amp is gonna be a monster seller! Advertising is expensive but a simple ad in Guitar World or Guitar Player may help kickstart sales. I know I spread the Diezel word when and wherever I can (to include rocking the sticker on our car around LA) and WOULD wear a T-Shirt in Acting/Modeling gigs if I HAD one (hint) :)

You are right. What we need is a new website with merchandise and sound files.
Just prepare a small but very good home studio and are in touch with merchandise
shops that we can include on our new website. We also have best known users but
don´t talk about.

Cheers,
Peter

kahawe":1kbc6qk9 said:
Bato":1kbc6qk9 said:
The only one Engl I found to sound good is the Blackmore.
Yea, that's because it is the least ENGL-sounding ENGL and has great mids and is overall an under-appreciated amp. :D :LOL: :LOL:

Bato":1kbc6qk9 said:
Some guitarists from the States once explained to me that ENGL is the "uber secret" insider's tip in the States where allegedly Diezels are widely more popular so ENGLs are the "rare" ones. I found it hard to believe but who am I to argue with international brand perception... :confused: also the Mud-ball 2 seems to be the go-to for all those mud-core "music" styles.
Plus Rammstein posed with some engls sometimes, I think.

Love the Blackmore! The only ENGL I would ever own. Gotta disagree about ENGL being the super secret here in US, everyone knows them and a lot of guys have been running em during the last few shows I've played. Diezel on the other hand I find to be much more rare! Nothing like rolling up to a show with one of only half a dozen Diezels in the state and tearing it up :rock:

Peter! I've seen Diezel VH4s everywhere from Tommy Lee's Atrium Studio to a NIN/Trent Reznor video. Supposedly Buckethead even has one but felt it was way too nice to take on the road! That's all the endorsement I need right there! :D Don't get caught up in merchandising and lower end amp models and pedals. To be honest, I think it would be cool if you discontinued Hagen and D-Moll and Schmidt and only sold VH4s and Herberts for the people who can afford them, and the Little Fucker ;) for the EVH/Engl/Marshall/Mesa budget crowd. Just make those three amps from here til' eternity and reward those of us who worship at the altar of Herr Diezel with just a SMALL bit of swag. Honestly even just one basic black T, basic black snapback (ball cap), and sticker would likely thrill the HELL out of present and future Diezel owners. Then again you make the finest guitar amplifiers in the World and you've come this far so do whatever your <3 tells you to do. Just DON'T go the way of Line 6 and start making too much stuff and especially don't collaborate with other companies = kiss of Death. Line 6 was SO cool when it was just three versions of the original POD and the Vetta. Then they just swandived!

HAIL DIEZEL!!!

MikeToddOnline":2t1sga2t said:

There are a ton of guys on here that own Herberts, Hagens and VH4's that aren't touring musicians or millionaires. Myself, being a lowly "mechanic", not only have in excess of $30k in tools required to do my job, and have more invested in music gear. I don't own one of those treasured amps (that only you and others in you income bracket can afford) because I have no interest in them. Not because I can't "afford" one.

If my post comes off like you struck a nerve it's because you did.

Your wording makes you sound like a real douche bag.

* My Dad (RIP) was a mechanic and a welder. So much for your "douche" theory (although in my defense at least I have clean fingernails) ;0)

* The only other mechanic I knew (and this includes my Dad) would NEVER shell out 4 k for an amp head because 90% or more (IM guessing) professional mechanics work on cars for a LIVING and for them music is a hobby.

* Granted I'm stereotyping mechanics here but the mechanics in Arizona anyway, where I grew up, are guys that are like ex cons, have Swastika Tattoos and shit, meth guys, former meth guys, not exactly the top of the gene pool. I'm sorry if I stereotyped but it wasn't meant to imply that mechanics CAN'T afford a Herbert but simply WOULDN'T shell out that kind of cash for a hobby device. I laid out my 4 k because I'm in Hollywood competing with the best Musicians in the World and I needed any edge I could get, even to get into a lame cover band. The fact that you are so defensive about your profession tells me that you are one of the rare, honest, high class mechanics and not part of the RIP OFF INDUSTRY that is auto mechanics/auto parts/automotive. Dude I DELIVERED AUTO PARTS as a summer job for years during college. That's WAY lower on the social tier than a mechanic and you could make fun of auto parts drivers all you want because the fact is, most of them didn't graduate high school and don't even have all their god damn teeth for christ's sake.

I also bore witness to the TERRIBLE rip off the whole thing is. I would take a water pump from (name auto parts store) and the ticket would say Water Pump (Wholesale $75.) We would sell it for $150 to the garage. Then the garage would charge some (likely middle class and barely able to make rent) family/wife/etc. FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS. It's an obscene mark up and while I know it's the shop owner's policy and not the mechanics, it's still a rip off. At least with a Diezel you get your money's worth. Bah. Look take what you want out of my post, I don't really care. But at least I didn't say something like all/most mechanics are douches. You probably could have retorted without name-calling as Peter noted. Then again, you were probably busy using Orange on your hands :) JK man.

Peace out potty mouth :)

Back