Charvel Custom Shop

Gitfiddler

Any dislikes with the finished product (whether you placed a custom order or purchased through a store)? I read something in another thread about the wrong number of frets, but I am interested in build quality, flaws, tone, etc.

Worth the cash?

If it's the same story, the wrong number of frets was on a Masterbuilt Jackson. I've had several CS Charvels and they've been great guitars.

'Worth the money' is very subjective - are they 3 times as good as an import version? Probably not. But then is a 10k Suhr 4 times better than a Pro series? Probably not. You're paying for exclusivity, specs and so on.

Get a Chubtone. Charvel Custom Shop Quality for half the price... As far as I'm concerned, they have taken the mantle of the California Hot Rod guitar shop...

Who wants to wait 2+ years for Charvel to build you a bolt on guitar? As far as I understand, very few stores can even order from the Custom Shop now... they are basically not taking orders, except from The Music Zoo...

Steve

I've been getting some outrageous quotes from the Charvel custom shop (like over $5k and 2 years for a simple no-frills guitar). I get the impression that they really don't want to take orders.

I have several CS Charvels, they are some of my absolute favorite guitars in my collection. I have yet to get one that wasn't a very nice player or was dull sounding, the necks feel fantastic. Only one has had a notable quality issue, the trem cavity wasn't routed exactly right and was interfering with the Floyd's performance (sticking a bit). Fortunately my tech was able to do a little bit of extra routing (inconspicuous, still hidden under the Floyd) and it turned out fine.

All were existing guitars purchased through dealers, not through me placing custom orders. I've tried to get a quote on a custom, and similar to what was said above, wasn't happening, actually never heard back.

Tone Jones":3h58012p said:
sah5150":3h58012p said:
Get a Chubtone.
What's their story? The "about" page on their website is blank. Curious whose parts they use and their background in guitar building.
Send 'em an email through the site. I'm sure they'll get back to you. Curt is a great player and has owned tons of the original Charvels and as a long time music shop owner has worked on and built countless guitars. Chubtone Guitars is his (and his partner Matt's) twist on the original California hot rod guitars and as someone who has owned many original and new Custom Shop Charvels, I can say that these are every bit as good.

Steve

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the chubtone website recently and dig what they are doing. I will reach out to them

Rock Bodom":exw2e88y said:
I have several CS Charvels, they are some of my absolute favorite guitars in my collection. I have yet to get one that wasn't a very nice player or was dull sounding, the necks feel fantastic. Only one has had a notable quality issue, the trem cavity wasn't routed exactly right and was interfering with the Floyd's performance (sticking a bit). Fortunately my tech was able to do a little bit of extra routing (inconspicuous, still hidden under the Floyd) and it turned out fine.

All were existing guitars purchased through dealers, not through me placing custom orders. I've tried to get a quote on a custom, and similar to what was said above, wasn't happening, actually never heard back.

I definitely agree that the Charvel customs are absolutely top shelf, which makes the troubles with custom ordering that much more infuriating.

sah5150":2fc28qli said:
Tone Jones":2fc28qli said:
sah5150":2fc28qli said:
Get a Chubtone.
What's their story? The "about" page on their website is blank. Curious whose parts they use and their background in guitar building.
Send 'em an email through the site. I'm sure they'll get back to you. Curt is a great player and has owned tons of the original Charvels and as a long time music shop owner has worked on and built countless guitars. Chubtone Guitars is his (and his partner Matt's) twist on the original California hot rod guitars and as someone who has owned many original and new Custom Shop Charvels, I can say that these are every bit as good.

Steve
Cool thanks!

I have a few custom shop Charvels from The Music Zoo. All have been flawless. There is nothing like owning a Strat head Charvel. Plus, resale values hold up on them.

I wouldn't wait 2 years for anything if that is really the turnaround time. I'd buy one already made and for sale to forgo the waiting part.

CS Charvel is good top stuff!

psychodave":pbxuvluc said:
I have a few custom shop Charvels from The Music Zoo. All have been flawless. There is nothing like owning a Strat head Charvel. Plus, resale values hold up on them.
I dunno, man... The Music Zoo Nitros and PrePros hold a decent resale value, but I've seen people get decimated on plenty of other Charvel CS guitars. At any given time, I see a few of them sell for $1500.

Steve

If it were my cash I would get a LUXXTONE, made by the top guy at charvel and you can have it totally custom, even the art work on it. Nothing plays like my luxxtone, not even my knaggs.

I'll add that I bought a Chubtone and it's better than my Mike Learn graphic Charvel, I can't stop playing it.

Gitfiddler":11q4sf8m said:
Any dislikes with the finished product (whether you placed a custom order or purchased through a store)? I read something in another thread about the wrong number of frets, but I am interested in build quality, flaws, tone, etc.

Worth the cash?

They are definitely worth the cash!!! I ordered mine via Chubtone back in 2015. No issues as Curt was on top of it. I heard his guitars are awesome!!!!

Attachments

• Charvel.jpg
    Charvel.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 2,956
sixty-niner":gyui4xo6 said:
If it were my cash I would get a LUXXTONE, made by the top guy at charvel and you can have it totally custom, even the art work on it. Nothing plays like my luxxtone, not even my knaggs.
When did Jerry Bizon work at Charvel?

Steve

sah5150":2162p3nv said:
Tone Jones":2162p3nv said:
sah5150":2162p3nv said:
Get a Chubtone.

Steve

After reading your review about Curt's new venture I ordered mine in Oct and received it today. Between you and Curt I fully trusted ordering site unseen due to both of your's past experiences with all kinds of Chavels.

It is a home run. It is as good as any CS Charvel or Lee Garver neck I have played and it cost less than half what Charvel would have charged and probably $6-800 less than other builders on this site. Curt has put the super strat market on notice with his attention to detail and pricing.

I will post a review soon with pics.

Scotty

NaturalBornBoy":2ukgfx8n said:
So Curt is done with custom order Charvels? He won't order for anyone??
They won't take his orders. He's tried... Two year backlog, not taking more except for the Zoo...

Steve

Back