Speakers for a "BIG" 2x12 sound

Delta 12A the regular cheaper ones. HUGE sounding. Higher wattage speakers sound bigger if you can deal with losing speaker breakup. Always a tradeoff.

Basically choose something hogher wattage that has more bass extension. Most speakers go down to about 80, down to 60 or 40 will fatten things immensely.

ed_Sped2":1umdhdko said:
dirtyfunkg":1umdhdko said:
Agreed, it's the entire sum of parts.

I've never used a Diezel cab so cannot comment. I've been very impressed with the Genz Benz G-Flex cabs. I replaced those speakers with a pair of G12-K85's. It sounds huge.

Another thing to think about is an open back cab. If you want more spread and depth, an open back can help out a lot.

I've got two G-Flex cabs with stock speakers and they sound huge. I'd love to hear the difference between the stock speakers and G12-K85's in the G-Flex. I've got a 4x12 with G12-K85's but I don't want to pull any speakers from it.

Another option would be to find a port city cab or a pair of Mesa Theile cabs with the EVM12L.

The only downside to a ported cab is that they might get a bit boomy at certain frequencies. I've never had much of a problem with it though.

Oops! wrong quote.

I've got a pair of G12K-100s in my Whitebox closed back 212 and it sounds massive and tight.

D-Rock":1m33psv8 said:
Yes cabinet make and construction play a large role too. I've owned a few different ones, open back as well. But they've always sounded noticably diminutive in comparison to a 4x12.

I was thinking of giving G12K100s a shot thus time, but I'm not convinced they will make enough of a difference to satisfy me. But if all else fails, I bet it would sound great paired with my Recto 412

I have a pair of G12-K100s in a closed back Whitebox modern 212 and it sounds tight & huge. That said, I'm liking my new EVH 412 with EVH/Heritage greenbacks more.

Playing the cab last night, it's just too small. Even The interior volume is tiny. I had an oversized one previously and it was a bit better, but my two main 412s just annihilate this thing. And it's not a matter of sounding twice as big, they sound ten times bigger...It's just all speaker tone coming at you with the EVH. A complete wash of cold mids and highs and the lows dissappear at higher volumes. The cabinet itself adds nothing to this 2x12s sound.

I've had good look running a pair of Mesa MC-90's in various 2x12 cabs.
Big sound without the size and weight of a 4x12.

D-Rock":16foqpg3 said:
Playing the cab last night, it's just too small. Even The interior volume is tiny. I had an oversized one previously and it was a bit better, but my two main 412s just annihilate this thing. And it's not a matter if sounding twice as big, they sound ten times bugger...It's just all speaker tone coming at you with the EVH. A complete wash of cold mids and highs and the lows dissappear at higher volumes. The cabinet itself adds nothing to this 2x12s sound.

True its a small cab, my 2x12 Avatar is the opposite too big and boomy sounding. If you want big look for OS Bogner or any of the non Rectifier 2X12's Mesa has/had they always sound big...

What do you people think about the standard 4x12 compared with the oversized 4x12 ?

I have always preferred the standard... But a few weeks ago I was using a friends oversized Mesa and it sounded great.

Willing to port it? I made a 2x12 into a bass cab by adding ports to the rear of it. Sounds HUGE. Reinforcing the resonance could be awesome.

Spent about $50 to do it. Hole saw and port tubes from parts express. A simple online calculation and off you go.

D-Rock":18wpuoia said:
Playing the cab last night, it's just too small. Even The interior volume is tiny. I had an oversized one previously and it was a bit better, but my two main 412s just annihilate this thing. And it's not a matter of sounding twice as big, they sound ten times bigger...It's just all speaker tone coming at you with the EVH. A complete wash of cold mids and highs and the lows dissappear at higher volumes. The cabinet itself adds nothing to this 2x12s sound.

Of the 2x12's I have tried the Mesa Recto and OS Bogner are my favorites. Both have plenty of low end and I actually prefer them tonally compared to many 4x12's.

stephen sawall":1d8ttjcn said:
What do you people think about the standard 4x12 compared with the oversized 4x12 ?

I have always preferred the standard... But a few weeks ago I was using a friends oversized Mesa and it sounded great.

I always leaned towards the standard but years ago during an ampfest a Mesa OS Recto was about the best cab there that day among some other top of the line cabs. I've bought an OS Recto myself and my Mark IV sound awesome on it. Even for really low volumes it does great. And one thing to consider, most 2x12's take up about the same amount of floor space as a 4x12.

You should also consider the 6x12 and 8x12s sound bigger than 4x12s. :D

I had a Mesa 2x12 that sounded really big, but it almost weighed as much as a Diezel 4x12.

-bigger is better-

-SUNN 6x12 INFINITE BAFFLE-(the baffle was an inverted "V")-by far the biggest, room filling cabinet ever-

-ever tried a "detuned-cab"? my best 4x12 is detuned -(3 speaker's & 1 empty hole)- this is my WIZARD's cab

danyeo":3lmtt5zx said:
stephen sawall":3lmtt5zx said:

I always leaned towards the standard but years ago during an ampfest a Mesa OS Recto was about the best cab there that day among some other top of the line cabs. I've bought an OS Recto myself and my Mark IV sound awesome on it. Even for really low volumes it does great. And one thing to consider, most 2x12's take up about the same amount of floor space as a 4x12.

The OS cab I was using had V30 /H30... Running the IV, Tremoverb, Einstein and VH4 all sounded awesome. Both of my 4x12"s are standard size.

Just buy a 4X12. It takes up the same amount of floor space... and the weight difference isn't that much. A 4X12 will sound so much fuller and bigger than any 2X12 made... regardless of design and/or speakers.

Just buy a 4X12. It takes up the same amount of floor space... and the weight difference isn't that much. A 4X12 will sound so much fuller and bigger than any 2X12 made... regardless of design and/or speakers.
Old thread resurrected.
I was worried that if have to just live with 412 cabs and be done with it.
My bassist doesn't like big cabs in his basemwnrnt where we practice even though he has a massive four speaker bass rig.

What about something like a Stage Craft diagonal 212 cabinet?

Honestly I can get close to a 412 with my 212 cabs if I use them semi open backed. That said, I lose the tight and punchy lows. The resonance or excursion control on my Bogner actually helps make up for thr lack of high ess and lows.

Genz Benz G-Flex?
Port City Wave cab?
Stage Craft diagonal big box 212?

I also found mixing speakers for me helps. Redback/V30 is fat in my Bogner 212, or just two Redbacks. Also, K100s and CL80s. I close the backs, and crank the excursion on my Shiva.

Otherwise, I just leave my Bogner slant top 412 at rehearsal space for practice.

What about detuning the 412, running just two speakers?

Thread resurrected is resurrected so what did you end up doing D-Rock?

I agree that a 212 will never be a 412 but there is no reason to try to get as close as possible, especially when it is your own choice.

I say you have to get vertical. Either a vertical cab or get the cab up off the ground and possibly even pointed more toward your ears. Ever notice how your recordings don't sound like what you hear sometimes? The frequencies (and volume) hit your ears differently. I have a 212 up on a box and it competes well with my Mesa Trad Slant 412.

Back