Speakers for a "BIG" 2x12 sound

D-Rock

What speakers do you recommend to make a 2x12 sound....BIGGER?

I always use 4x12s, and could never get close to that big, spread out sound when using a 2x12 cab.

I have an EVH 2x12 that I'd like to change the speakers out of. The 70th Anniversary GH30s just aren't doing it.

I've ran V30s and some variants but they didn't work out either. I've also had cleaner sounding CL80s and Legend type speakers in 2x12s but found them stiff and chirpy sounding on the high end freqs and pick attack.

Thanks for any suggestions from those "in the know"...

Agreed, it's the entire sum of parts.

I've never used a Diezel cab so cannot comment. I've been very impressed with the Genz Benz G-Flex cabs. I replaced those speakers with a pair of G12-K85's. It sounds huge.

Another thing to think about is an open back cab. If you want more spread and depth, an open back can help out a lot.

Yes cabinet make and construction play a large role too. I've owned a few different ones, open back as well. But they've always sounded noticably diminutive in comparison to a 4x12.

I was thinking of giving G12K100s a shot thus time, but I'm not convinced they will make enough of a difference to satisfy me. But if all else fails, I bet it would sound great paired with my Recto 412

dirtyfunkg":pll1if0h said:
Agreed, it's the entire sum of parts.

I've never used a Diezel cab so cannot comment. I've been very impressed with the Genz Benz G-Flex cabs. I replaced those speakers with a pair of G12-K85's. It sounds huge.

Another thing to think about is an open back cab. If you want more spread and depth, an open back can help out a lot.

I've got two G-Flex cabs with stock speakers and they sound huge. I'd love to hear the difference between the stock speakers and G12-K85's in the G-Flex. I've got a 4x12 with G12-K85's but I don't want to pull any speakers from it.

Another option would be to find a port city cab or a pair of Mesa Theile cabs with the EVM12L.

The only downside to a ported cab is that they might get a bit boomy at certain frequencies. I've never had much of a problem with it though.

75w Creambacks. I have two in a Bogner cab. Made the cab sound much more expansive
compared to the V30s that were in it. The 65w Creambacks not so much

I'm gonna say Eminence Swamp Thang, Man O War, or Celestion g12k-100. Bigger magnets sound bigger. But, you might lose some cut through if you are in a two guitarist band. Eminence are good speakers, and you can find good deals on them. I feel they are best for a single guitarist or if you play alone at home. Just my $.02

Although cab is important as stated. I play my EVH 2x12 combo at home right, but the other day I unplugged the speaker lead and grabbed another speaker cable and ran it to my Bogner 2x12, same speakers. Sounded way more 3-D and a lot bigger.

Only a 4x12 will sound like a 4x12.

I have a couple 2x12's that sound killer. Mesa Rec and Hermida ported.
Both are fantastic and when mic'd live sound huge through a p.a.

billboogie":8gsc124i said:
75w Creambacks. I have two in a Bogner cab. Made the cab sound much more expansive
compared to the V30s that were in it. The 65w Creambacks not so much
+1. Just installed a pair of G12H75 creambacks in my Port City 2x12. Had V30s before. The new speakers sound great!

-your chasing your tail,
-like what was mentioned above, no 2x12 will sound as big as a 4x12, the ported 2x12's are closest-(GENZ Benz-ported 2x12-originally this was a George Lynch cab)-& the pricey!, but mighty!!-(Port City OS WAVE- 2x12)-fall somewhere in between
-more efficient speakers might be louder, but not bigger

As mentioned above... 2x12 is never going to sound like a 4x12.

Even the oversize 2x12 cabs that are almost as big as a 4x12 with K100 sound small and too much midrange. I've given up on 2x12 cabs trying to sound anything like a 4x12.
Two 2x12 sound nothing like a 4x12 either.

I have a Bogner OS212 with a V30 and Creamback M65 that sounds awesome to me. Still I prefer a 4x12 but I find that combo in a 212 sounds best to my ears.

It's a fine balance, performance vs tone.

I'm perfectly content with the "tone" of V30s or Creambacks in a 2x12.

But they won't "perform" in a way that I'm looking for. IE: thunderous, encompassing, concussion like at ALL volumes.

An exercise in futility I suppose.

Maybe I'll just go for "tone" and settle for the resulting performance.

Creambacks would be the ticket there I think. Probably the best consistent speaker tone out there right now imho.

I've owned so many 2x12's I lost count. Some are good like the Bogner OS, Port City, Stoneage, Mesa. But a 2x12 is just that. I do think Vertical 2x12's work better live, I used a Mesa Vertical Recto for many years and it worked great, soundmen loved the ease of getting a good tone from it with little mic tweaking.

One thing I think that does sound huge in a small package is a pair of Mesa Thiele 1x12's. One doesn't do it for me but get 2 and spread them out a few feet and they sound really big.

I put a Celestion GK-100 in a combo amp and that made the amp sound bigger than it was. Imagine it would do the same with two of them in a cabinet. Open back helps also.

Having said that, I agree with the comments above that a 2 X 12 just isn't going to get as big sounding as a 4 X 12. Been down that rabbit hole and there was always something missing regardless of what cab it was or the speakers. Don't own a 2 X 12 now because of that, but thinking about getting one again. Completely stupid and irrational based on my previous experiences, but something I'm still considering. Terrible disease this is.

Back