Reverb Amp Buy Gone Bad

Here are the pics:

A Triple Recto shipped in a 24X24X36 box... perfect fit! Not. Packing material: bubble wrap, poly batting like you'd find on the back panel of a 4X12 cab, and lets sprinkle in some random peanuts for fun! Foam corners... who needs those!
nhFb82O.jpg

45v9QHR.jpg

JzFypEj.jpg

BTJMOaT.jpg

CqvxYfG.jpg

0fy9osH.jpg

4tVN8hT.jpg

m8LpJE9.jpg

KBzwEgt.jpg

Any rust on the transformers? Nope no rust.
tP3jL0s.jpg

Serial number in the low #3000s... yep #3700 is in the low #3000s? In what system of prime numbers?
LW3MXrg.jpg

Why I don't recall Rectos having jacks added near the power tubes from the factory? Mod... to access a bias pot... could be...
CDrvuC9.jpg

Ij0fQ4A.jpg

Maybe I should wrap the power chord plug so it doesn't bounce around and smash the power tubes... nah... it'll be fine.
ZMMYF4v.jpg

When did Mesa start adding bias pots? And poorly executed to boot.
ONJu6go.jpg

Black FT filter caps... Ummm Don't recall Mesa ever using those?
jhHDZaL.jpg

9cibHkG.jpg

Here's a copy of the messages back and fourth before I paid for the amp:

Me:
Hi, I had a few questions about your Rev G Triple Recto:
1. Can you message me a few more pics. Some closeups of the front, back, and transformers would be great.
2. Any rust on either transformer?
3. Any rust, tarnish, or pitting on the chrome chassis?
4. Any repairs, mods, or issues with the amp? Do all pots/switches function normally?
Thanks.

Seller:
Don't have anymore photos at the moment. Amp is in my rehearsal room that i won't be at til Friday. No rust, mods or repairs. Functions perfectly.

Honesty... gotta love it.

Then after sending him pics and confronting him that he lied to me and misrepresented the amp:
Seller:
Amp was packed properly. A busted preamp tube is going to happen from time to time when being shipped literally across the country. Outside of being a amp repairman, it is not realistic for someone to know that there is different caps than the originals. The amp is 26 years old. I'm sure it's had a few things done to it in it's time. I thought it said 31XX instead if 37XX. It's still a rev G and has no impact on the value. I stated the amp was in good condition. Not mint or excellent. I sold the amp as is. I'm willing to pay for the preamp tube as fedex most definitely won't.

SMH... almost beyond words... I would expect this from GC Used... definitely not acceptable from a forum member, through Reverb or not. Not acceptable from Reverb, either. I do hope you let them know what happened.

EXPcustom":35frgw4i said:
Not to derail this thread but anyone else notice that rusty transformers sound good, or is it just me?

Not sure but there is nothing like a good rusty trombone!

Out this guy already!

ChurchHill":3gt3putw said:
SMH... almost beyond words... I would expect this from GC Used... definitely not acceptable from a forum member, through Reverb or not. Not acceptable from Reverb, either. I do hope you let them know what happened.

Yep. Already contacted reverb support and sent them pics too. The seller refused my refund request, and told me the amp was sold as-is. Basically to pound sand. PP claim filed as well. Why can't we all just get along? I mean really WTF. His rep is worthless now. I hope the money he made was worth it.
:no: :no: :no:

I don' think he can refuse your refund request, just as LanierP where the guy waited like 10 weeks to file a PP claim and then got his refund and did not sent the amp back then sold it on ebay.

He did misrepresent the amp when you specifically asked about rust on the chassis and transformers. Looks like he is going to take it back regardless.

Wizard of Ozz":yqw04oo7 said:
Then after sending him pics and confronting him that he lied to me and misrepresented the amp:
Seller:
Amp was packed properly. A busted preamp tube is going to happen from time to time when being shipped literally across the country. Outside of being a amp repairman, it is not realistic for someone to know that there is different caps than the originals. The amp is 26 years old. I'm sure it's had a few things done to it in it's time. I thought it said 31XX instead if 37XX. It's still a rev G and has no impact on the value. I stated the amp was in good condition. Not mint or excellent. I sold the amp as is. I'm willing to pay for the preamp tube as fedex most definitely won't.

While I'm inclined to agree with the Caps statement, I wouldn't expect any random dude to know about that kinda stuff.. He still lied about the very obvious mods, rust, serial, and having the right shipping materials. One thing the seller forgot about:

Items sold "As-Is" are excluded from your shop return policy. You are still obligated to write accurate and detailed descriptions, provide good photos, and deliver "As-Is" items to the buyer in the described condition.

Taken right from Reverb's policies, the dude lied about the Amp so it was not delivered "As-Is".

Edit: A gift for anyone who is interested: https://reverb.com/ca/item/13888363-mesa-boogie-triple-rectifier-rev-g

These few sentences and those pics "should" make this an open and shut case.....
From this:
"No rust, mods or repairs. Functions perfectly......."

To this:
"The amp is 26 years old. I'm sure it's had a few things done to it in it's time"

If the seller has any integrity and honestly didnt realize there was a mod for a bias pot, he should then have ZERO PROBLEMS taking it back as he CLEARLY misrepresented it, whether he knew it or not. Packing job wasnt great but the kicker is the misrepresentation. Really shitty on the sellers part to refuse return. :thumbsdown:

Just curious, what the issue with a little rust on the transformer? Iron does rust quite easily.

I’m not one for a witch hunt but I’ve always felt that Rigtalk is my worry-free place for buying gear. To protect the sanctuary that is the RT classifieds, this RT member needs to be exposed as it’s how we can police the classifieds ourselves and keep it as much of a safe-haven as possible.

Edit: just saw the name

Ok I’m going to say something here..
1) most likely the guy had no idea the amp had a bias pot mod.. ( this is a good thing and is a total asset for these amps)
2) yes the cord was a mistake ( tubes a super easy fix)
3) I have never seen a old MESA like this that didn’t have rust on the transformers ( this is not a issue in any way) it’s just the cover
4) packing is bY far not the worst I have ever seen( I see a ton of boxes all the time) no damage to the shell off the amp

5) most likely the amp was recapped at some point in its life.. not a bad thing.. also standard person would have no idea..

RACKSYSTEMS":oxc2cznq said:
1) most likely the guy had no idea the amp had a bias pot mod.. ( this is a good thing and is a total asset for these amps)
3) I have never seen a old MESA like this that didn’t have rust on the transformers ( this is not a issue in any way) it’s just the cover
4) packing is bY far not the worst I have ever seen( I see a ton of boxes all the time) no damage to the shell off the amp

how much was the amp?
The Reverb ad says $1800 plus shipping.

I agree that the seller may not have known about mods...or maybe he didn't think the buyer would notice. We don't know but we do know he's a liar. I don't mind a little rust on a transformer but that's me. If someone else doesn't like it and asks a simple/direct question and gets lied to then it's a huge issue. My Mark IV was a closet classic and no rust anywhere.

RACKSYSTEMS":r2jggr41 said:

how much was the amp?

1) He then should have stated that he wasnt sure if it was modded (since he wasnt the original owner)
2) yes, but tubes cost money.
3) Doesn’t matter. If the buyer doesn’t want rust than that’s his choice. Seller needs to answer correctly/truthfully regardless. For all we know the buyer could have used this question to see how honest the buyer actually is.
4) I’ve seen worse also, though the cord issue is enough to know that the seller isn’t too detail oriented and would keep me from buying from him in the future.

RACKSYSTEMS":1c3qtvxs said:

5) most likely the amp was recapped at some point in its life.. not a bad thing.. also standard person would have no idea..

Cmon man! Really Dave... Really?!?

1. If he did not know, then say... I don’t know. I’ve never opened it; I have no idea if it’s been modified or repaired. To flat out say: No mods or repairs is a lie. Also the black electrical tape covering the hot wire to the pot is not something most techs do. I doubt there’s black electrical tape in your amps. Also he tried to conceal the mod by bolting a jack on to the hole drilled in the chassis topside to make it look like a reverb/channel switching footswitch jack on a Mark2/3. Why try to hide the mod???

2. Just as easy to wrap some bubble around the plug or the tubes.

3. You need to see more Mesas then Dave. I’ve got around 10 right now which are older and spotless. I also just bought another 1992 Dual Recto that is way cleaner. And I asked upfront, he flat out lied.

4. We’ll agree to disagree here. That’s bad in my book. It was rolling around inside a giant box while traveling across the USA.

5. Again if you don’t know... say so. Do not lie and say it’s clean, stock, unmodified. Sad.

Wizard of Ozz":2kfc4xhm said:
RACKSYSTEMS":2kfc4xhm said:

Cmon man! Really Dave... Really?!?

1. If he did not know, then say... I don’t know. I’ve never opened it; I have no idea if it’s been modified or repaired. To flat out say: No mods or repairs is a lie. Also the black electrical tape covering the hot wire to the pot is not something most techs do. I doubt there’s black electrical tape in your amps.

2. Just as easy to wrap some bubble around the plug or the tubes.

3. You need to see more Mesas then Dave. I’ve got around 10 right now which are older and spotless. I also just bought another 1992 Dual Recto that is way cleaner. And I asked upfront, he flat out lied.

4. We’ll agree to disagree here. That’s bad in my book. It was rolling around inside a giant box while traveling across the USA.

5. Again if you don’t know... say so. Do not lie and say it’s clean, stock, unmodified. Sad.
Gotta agree with Wizard on this. If you don't know about the circuit, you can't say it's stock. At least he could offer to buy some tubes, clearly that's his fault. I will say that out of 10 or so Mesas I've owned half have had rust on the transformers, but how hard is it to take a look and inform the buyer?
As far as packing, again that's his fault and the only excuse would be if it were his first time shipping? Still his fault and one more thing...I hope you didn't pay what that asking price was....1K at most is what I see for those.
Hopefully Lowrig makes this right.

The buyer asked for specific needs and the seller said yes to all, but the delivered product wasn't what the buyer asked for.
These are not cheap items, suppose the seller didn't mean no harm and said yes, doesn't mean the buyer has to be understanding and take the item as it is.
Even if the seller didn't know the circuit, he could have at least checked if the transformer had rust or not.
Instead, he was probably too lazy/careless to even check and just answered "no rust". that alone shows what kind of seller he is.

Back