Best 6L6 poweramp?

AdamB

So, like every other person here, i'm getting axe fx gas!

But i'm wondering what poweramp to pair it with if i did get one. My favourite powervalves are 6L6, so any power amp with those would be a good place to start, but i'm open to suggestions... :)

I've been looking at Mesa 2:90

VHT's are always popular too

Cheers in advance,

Adam

AdamB":2oysk0bs said:
Where can you get the VHT black beauty?

I can't find much about them

Pretty sure you won't be able to get one.

I think it was a limited edition French release.

There might only be 5? 10? 20? in existence

Here's a pic. It's the 2 space black power amp.

P1010916.jpg

"VHT Black Beauty -2562- :

Ampli de puissance 2x50w en 6L6 (le seul !), pour un son plus US, mais sans la brutalité des KT88....!
Une série limitée exclusivement construite pour Audio Tube Tech, alors ne trainez pas...

That's the one!

Bit better for me too seen as i'm in the UK. Going to give them a call..

Anyone have any experience with the Mesa 2:90?

The 2:90 in my opinion is fantastic. I've had the current one I own for almost three years now. I like the 2:90 over the 2:100 because to my ears it sounds a bit smoother and clearer.

If i ended up going with a mesa, i'd want to stay away from the rectifier labeled 2:100

Only Gene, with 6547896548956342 different 6l6 power amps to choose from he suggests the uber rare overseas only black 2562 :LOL: :LOL:

Digital Jams":11zo2dcg said:
Only Gene, with 6547896548956342 different 6l6 power amps to choose from he suggests the uber rare overseas only black 2562 :LOL: :LOL:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

But seriously, I think the Rivera TBR-5 is probably the most badass poweramp that takes 6L6's without any kind of mods.

guitarslinger":z3f0imx9 said:
Digital Jams":z3f0imx9 said:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

But seriously, I think the Rivera TBR-5 is probably the most badass poweramp that takes 6L6's without any kind of mods.

Curious - What makes the Rivera that special to you? I ask honestly as I've no experience with separate power amps but am intrigued by the pre/power-amp rack approach.

Back