Fractal Audio Axe-fx +, -, ? and now Kemper KPA has arrived.

DADA

After owning an Ultra for more then 1,5 year I thought sharing some experience. Because this post would be deleted immediately from the Fractal Forum I am forced to post it here and other not FAS controlled sites.

This is my personal opinion and is no statement in any kind.

The Good
- Breakthrough product no doubt, but every new customer should be warned. The learning curve to get a decent sound out this apparatus is steep and long for the average guitar dude. It is like doing a study computer programming but then without a teacher. Is that a problem NO but be sure, despite the AFX Wiki, that you are willing to spend a huge amount of time trying to learn the thing. Time you will not play your guitar. And believe me in the end you will only use a handful of its possibilities.
- It works great with the MFC-101.
- With the right equipment it sounds really good and it is very flexible.
- The company continuously improves the software till a new version comes out.
- Some helpful users on the forum.

The Bad
- The price is completely over the top. OK back in 2008 it was ground breaking technology and it was a small company with a low turnover. But with the AFX II the price had to come down.
- To get your complete rig with active wedges or amp and cabs plus the MFC-101 you can buy a very nice new car. It is very very expensive so be warned.
- Seeing it as a computer (which it basically is) the AFX II is an upgrade from one processor to two processors and some hardware upgrades and new software. The Ultra would also be possible to host the new software when some unused possibilities were dumped from the eprom. Will not happen because it is now absolete and therefore has died.
- Lifetime updates was by me and others interpreted as long as I lived. That was dumb thinking because updates for the Standard and Ultra stopped on the moment the new AFX came out. So the 11R solution is not that bad.
- No instructional DVD or official Youtube help to get you going faster. Or a country based helpline (dreaming).

The Ugly
- The launch of the II is a bit of an disaster and an use of the huge demand by increasing the price even further.
- If you live outside the US then there is no priority for you having one. You will have to wait for at least 6 to 9 months. US customers can have them immediatly if they are willing to pay an extra 400.
- Because of this "high demand" the company now calls themselve "boutigue" to gett away with their policy and price tag.
- The forum in itself is a good direct marketing tool. BUT having moderators, administrators and the owner himself that like to piss, preach and laugh at people is the best way to ruin your own business. Never never ask a critical question or you will be threatend with pm's and banned.
- To get the full advantages via FRFR you will need the best and therefore the most expensive solutions available. This means at least $4000 -5000 per wedge.

The Cure
- Act like a professional company and not like a bunch of techies.
- Exchange some moderators with some with better attitude towards your customers. :thumbsup:
- Steep up production. The longer people have to wait the larger the chance is they turn away.
- Lower the price of the next product line. Better would be to lower the AFXII price and stand for the consequences doing so.
- Stop with tube based amplification as a side product. This makes the “no tube” solution a questionmark. :thumbsup:

The new Reality
- It looks like a product has arrived wich will force the Fracal Company to become mature fast. It is the Kemper profiling amplifier. A serious competitor with stellar sounds and even the possibility to profile all the amp sims and cabinets from your axe-fx. The future is very very interesting. At last a solution where YOU decide which amps and cabinets you want instead of the company.
- Again the thinking is to have a technical move towards the Kemper thread by making a new "modeling feature" in the AFXII. It looks like they got scared.

2007: Axe I best modeller, far ahead of any other modeller.

2011: Axe II "just another" modeller. Competition is on pair or better (who knows that exactly:) X50, S-Gear, amplitube slo 100, rockerverb,..

2015: It'll be outdated like any other piece of digital gear. TigerSharc's power is nearly depleted (40% per amp). Intel based modellers don't have that ceiling.

2019: The axe II will just be a faint memory, no one will remember any details :) Digital gear always fades away :)

steve_k":3oq0khks said:
That was an objective post....fair and balanced reporting. Why would it get deleted?

Because it IS a fair, obejctive and balanced post. Not allowed at FAS.

I have and Ultra and recently picked up the Axe II. I didn't think there was that much of an improvement in the Axe II. Sure it had some extra features with the USB and phones but other than that
it wasn't a huge difference in sound quality above the Ultra. I think most people didn't use the potential of the Ultra let alone need a dedicated processor for amp and effects.
The USB recording was nice but if you changed to a different preset there was a buzz in the audio stream for about 5 seconds then went away.
This unit will have it's share of bugs and it should be interesting to actually read some valid reviews of what other people think.
I will keep the Ultra as it's a great unit and let the rest of the people go through the extended beta tester program.

First post yes, long time visitor.

I hope phisk and DADA have more to offer the forum than just bashing Fractal? New users and all posts to bash a company, interesting. Freedom of speech is welcome here...trolling is not. If you are here just to cause a shitstorm that you couldn't complete elsewhere, then please take your garbage elswhere. This applies to bashing any company or individual.

Mark

Mark Day":3bfzdb7l said:
I hope phisk and DADA have more to offer the forum than just bashing Fractal? New users and all posts to bash a company, interesting. Freedom of speech is welcome here...trolling is not. If you are here just to cause a shitstorm that you couldn't complete elsewhere, then please take your garbage elswhere. This applies to bashing any company or individual.

Mark
:thumbsup: Well said Mark.... I think that everyone should have the right to voice their opinion on gear , no matter how good or bad but if trashing a particular company or individual is your sole purpose for coming here, Youre better off finding another place IMHO....

Kage

AxeGrinder":2sugm8bj said:
I have and Ultra and recently picked up the Axe II. I didn't think there was that much of an improvement in the Axe II. Sure it had some extra features with the USB and phones but other than that
it wasn't a huge difference in sound quality above the Ultra. I think most people didn't use the potential of the Ultra let alone need a dedicated processor for amp and effects.
The USB recording was nice but if you changed to a different preset there was a buzz in the audio stream for about 5 seconds then went away.
This unit will have it's share of bugs and it should be interesting to actually read some valid reviews of what other people think.
I will keep the Ultra as it's a great unit and let the rest of the people go through the extended beta tester program.

First post yes, long time visitor.

I am also an Ultra user. I had the opportunity to test one of the beta units while I was in LA a few weeks back and I personally thought the AxeII was significantly better in sound and feel. I also tested the USB recording and I did not experience any buzzing while changing presets. I am using a Mac and Logic Pro. Is it not possible it was an issue with your DAW or computer?

I'm very curious, what did you sell your AxeII for?

Mark

155":3any0hur said:
its called an opinion...

1-6 posts(in total post count) all relating to the same thing is not an opinion, it is an agenda. Like I said I hope they have more to offer the forum than just 1 topic.
Most new forumites enter here a little differently, no?

Mark

I sold it for the same price I bought it for, I didn't make any money on it. I am using Reaper on a MAC, never had issues with it before. That said I didn't spend a lot of time troubleshooting it.
That wasn't the main reason for selling the unit. I thought the new unit was an improvement in sound but not so much to sell the Ultra.
I have a lot of presets that I realized I would have to build over again in the II. My point was that once the dust settles and the Axe Edit is released and a converter from Ultra presets to Axe II then it would
make more sense to upgrade. I already have the mixer for the phones and the audio interface so those options were not really factored in to this.
I think with any new product there is going to be de-bugging. It's not Fractals fault as the beta testers can only catch some of the issues. The general public user base catches the rest.

If it is not absolutley postive what i say about the axe/fracal someone comes around and says: "You're not allowed to say so". - "Why?" "Because no one is allowd to say something negative about it." :doh: - :LOL: :LOL:

Dude keep the emotion out of any axe fx dicussion and everythings alright. It is just a box with some average software inside.

phisk":1czqhfg3 said:
If it is not absolutley postive what i say about the axe/fracal someone comes around and says: "You're not allowed to say so". - "Why?" "Because no one is allowd to say something negative about it." :doh: - :LOL: :LOL:

Dude keep the emotion out of any axe fx dicussion and everythings alright. It is just a box with some average software inside.

I have no problem with people voicing a negative opinion about a product. I do it. My problem is you've come here announcing that you've been thrown off another forum because of your statements then you want to restate them here. Had you been here on Rig-Talk with a few posts relating to other topics you would not see me posting about your thread. I never interfere, ever unless it is Carl or a Carl clone. What I see here is a soapbox for you because you were thrown off another forum. That is my problem, not the topic.

Mark

AxeGrinder":10lm9ye3 said:
I have and Ultra and recently picked up the Axe II. I didn't think there was that much of an improvement in the Axe II. .

I came to the same conclusion. I only owned the standard but played the Ultra at the NY Amp show last year and the Axe-2 this year. I thought it was about the same sounding setup.

I asked to remove me from fractal,tgp-forum... because you are not allowed to talk freely. At rig-talk you are. Many people get banned at fractal&co because of "opinion" :) So it is nothing special that my accounts are not there any longer.

I said many things through the years about the axe neg./pos./neutral.

steve_k":h9fyhdoa said:
That was an objective post....fair and balanced reporting. Why would it get deleted?

Steve thanks for the compliment.

I hope it is possible to have some unbiased opinions and experiences from other users about this topic. At least free of depedency and emotions.

Mark I understand your concern but my intend is not to troll. BTW you got me into the AFX and I am still greatfull for that.

Axe I has been shockingly awesome when it was released.

Axe II is an Ultra+ for me. The step isn't as big as expected. It has got the features the Axe I should have had: usb, headphone...

G2 modelling is better, but that's subtile.

phisk":12kow4v1 said:
Axe I has been shockingly awesome when it was released.

Axe II is an Ultra+ for me. The step isn't as big as expected. It has got the features the Axe I should have had: usb, headphone...

G2 modelling is better, but that's subtile.

Playing the devil's advocate here, have you tried the AxeII yet?

BTW, I would like to make something perfectly clear here. I could care less if someone doesn't like the AxefX or a Soldano or a Marshall JCM800 or a Herbert. I dig my AxeFx, I have an AxeII on the way. I also dig my OD100se+ rig, I dig Herberts, I dig Dave Friedman's stuff, dig the Cameron, I even like Mesa Rectos. I understand perfectly that folks may or may not like an AxeFx. If they don't, then that is totally fine, I hate ketchup on my hotdogs too.

The reason I interjected in this thread was NOT because someone had an negative opinion on the AxeFx, it is solely because of the ensuing shitstorm this thread will inevitably cause, started by a few "new" forumites.

Mark

Back