Torpedo Reload?

So, let me see if I get it. You can plug your guitar into the Reload, send that signal to the DAW. That signal from the DAW back to the Reload that is then sent to you amp. You can go from the amp (the speaker signal) and into the Reload as attentuator and out of that to your speaker cabinet....AND you can also send a line or mic level signal from of the attenuated amp to the DAW for use with the Torpedo plug-in.

So it's a reamping device and an attenuator/load box with a line out feature for using DAW cab sims?

Do I have it right?

You have it right, a swiss army knife for guys with amps, the Reload does a bunch of things. At NAMM, we're showing the attenuator aspect because that's the easiest to illustrate on the show floor but the box does so much more.....especially beneficial is the matching of a dry track from your DAW to the input of a tube amp....lots of companies claim to do this and Guillaume has done it right....any studio that does any guitar work will love this box and get one or more.

More to follow,

Andy

sysexguy":30pzqbcy said:
You have it right, a swiss army knife for guys with amps, the Reload does a bunch of things. At NAMM, we're showing the attenuator aspect because that's the easiest to illustrate on the show floor but the box does so much more.....especially beneficial is the matching of a dry track from your DAW to the input of a tube amp....lots of companies claim to do this and Guillaume has done it right....any studio that does any guitar work will love this box and get one or more.

More to follow,

Andy

Please note too that the Reload will offer a choice of 4, 8, and 16-ohm impedance, in order to really adapt to ANY amps you may have.
We are going to make the Tech Specs more complete once we have passed the NAMM rush. :D

Keep it up, Two Notes is out there for you!

Romain

Interesting. Hope to see hear some audio samples soon.

Whenever you get the chance, what method of reducing the speaker signal level to a line level are you using? Is it OPamp or transformer, or just resistive? Is it optimized to work with the Two Notes plugin anyway? And of course, the big question...how much?

Rogue":18f8bip0 said:
Whenever you get the chance, what method of reducing the speaker signal level to a line level are you using? Is it OPamp or transformer, or just resistive? Is it optimized to work with the Two Notes plugin anyway? And of course, the big question...how much?

We are using an operational amplifier, for its high audio quality, low noise, and overall excellent efficiency. It is also fail-proof, which will secure your setup even in case of an inversion of your speaker cable (which is not the case with most other types of attenuators on the market).

The Torpedo Reload is precisely designed to work with the PI-101 WoS, yes.

As for the price, well... To be announced. :)

Could you please explain how the amp-Reload-cab set up works in a live situation, when you simply want to knock off some dB's.
Is it like an Aracom or does it reamp like a Ultimate Attenuator?

/Ulf

same principle as the UA, but with a completely different order of magnitude wrt build quality and components.

Andy

Here is the NAMM 2013 presentation of the Torpedo Reload :

One of the most important aspects of this new attenuator is that it offers absolutely real-speaker impedance to the amplifier: 4, 8, or 16 Ohms, and not some artificially high (e.g., 30-Ohm) impedance which would be in effect crushing the amp's tone down.

What exactly is this reamplifier brought up by tokyo tapes? I don't know how the UA works, so this is new to me.

Also about the line out for the amp signal to DAW, I've been having problems getting a good signal to the DAW. Either by Countryman DI and Alex Attenuator line out, the signal is just kind of thin. So I'm real curious about this output of the reload. Is it thinned out like other methods I've tried, or is it specially optimized for sending the "right" signal to the DAW?

And of course, it would be replacing my Alex, so the level of transparency under heavy attenuation is important to. So it goes from -6db to full load?

Looking forward to seeing more about it in the coming months. I'm hoping it is the "solution" I've been looking for.

Rogue":12vqf6b2 said:
What exactly is this reamplifier brought up by tokyo tapes? I don't know how the UA works, so this is new to me.

Also about the line out for the amp signal to DAW, I've been having problems getting a good signal to the DAW. Either by Countryman DI and Alex Attenuator line out, the signal is just kind of thin. So I'm real curious about this output of the reload. Is it thinned out like other methods I've tried, or is it specially optimized for sending the "right" signal to the DAW?

And of course, it would be replacing my Alex, so the level of transparency under heavy attenuation is important to. So it goes from -6db to full load?

Looking forward to seeing more about it in the coming months. I'm hoping it is the "solution" I've been looking for.

Hi Rogue,

The Reload's reactive-active attenuator offers very low output impedance, so as to drive the speaker as truthfully as can be. The sound that it gets via the loadbox is the exact amplifier's tone without any alterations. On standard attenuators the tone is crushed both by the modifications of the impedance seen by the amp, and by the fact that the speaker is driven by some wrong impedance. With the Reload, the impedance is constant and identical to a speaker's.
The embedded amp, therefore, is optimized to bring the tone over without altering it, and the Line Out is of course perfect.

We have never had "thin" signal with either VB-101 or Torpedo Live, and basically this product is on a par with those.

You will get from -6dB to full load, yes. :)

romain_gril":3pr9wwin said:
Hi Rogue,

The Reload's reactive-active attenuator offers very low output impedance, so as to drive the speaker as truthfully as can be. The sound that it gets via the loadbox is the exact amplifier's tone without any alterations. On standard attenuators the tone is crushed both by the modifications of the impedance seen by the amp, and by the fact that the speaker is driven by some wrong impedance. With the Reload, the impedance is constant and identical to a speaker's.
The embedded amp, therefore, is optimized to bring the tone over without altering it, and the Line Out is of course perfect.

We have never had "thin" signal with either VB-101 or Torpedo Live, and basically this product is on a par with those.

You will get from -6dB to full load, yes. :)
How did I miss this?

So, it has it's own power amp in it that sends that signal to the cabinet? I guess that is a clean power amp? What is the wattage?

And if one decided to go with FRFR monitors, could you load your amp with the reload, send that signal to the TwoNotes CAB, then back to the reload for amplification of the cab sim?

Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about it. Keep us posted.

So, it has it's own power amp in it that sends that signal to the cabinet? I guess that is a clean power amp? What is the wattage?

Right now it is a 6dB attenuation (25W if you put a 100W signal), but this may change in the final design.

And if one decided to go with FRFR monitors, could you load your amp with the reload, send that signal to the TwoNotes CAB, then back to the reload for amplification of the cab sim?

My head hurts. ;)

The amplification on the Reload is driven by the signal you have at the speaker input, ie the one coming from the speaker output of your guitar amp.

The basic use of the reload is to be plugged to a guitar/bass cabinet, not to an FRFR monitor. NEVER plug the line out of any product to the speaker in of the Reload, you will fry your line out (because of the low impedance of the loadbox).

guillaume_pille":n3phbzrq said:
Right now it is a 6dB attenuation (25W if you put a 100W signal), but this may change in the final design.
Right, but I was just trying to clarify that there is a power amp in the reload that sends the signal to the cab? I've just never heard it being done this way until now. I didn't know the UA did it that way either.

guillaume_pille":n3phbzrq said:
My head hurts. ;)

The amplification on the Reload is driven by the signal you have at the speaker input, ie the one coming from the speaker output of your guitar amp.

The basic use of the reload is to be plugged to a guitar/bass cabinet, not to an FRFR monitor. NEVER plug the line out of any product to the speaker in of the Reload, you will fry your line out (because of the low impedance of the loadbox).
So, the answer is no? I was just wondering if there was a way to use the Reload and CAB for FRFR purpose with using the Reload as the power.

Thanks

How much is this thing going to cost in the states?

Would a Reload (or any other TN product for that) be able to take the load from an Ampeg SVT2 Pro bass amp? It's 300w RMS in 4 or 2 ohms. It'd be so sweet to be able to record at home with headphones!

BR

Right, but I was just trying to clarify that there is a power amp in the reload that sends the signal to the cab?

There is a power amp in the Reload that sends the signal to a guitar cabinet plugged in the speaker out. ;)

So, the answer is no? I was just wondering if there was a way to use the Reload and CAB for FRFR purpose with using the Reload as the power.

The answer is no, as the power amp in the Reload expect to receive a signal coming from an amp.

I have to draw a little schematics to make this perfectly clear. ;)

Would a Reload (or any other TN product for that) be able to take the load from an Ampeg SVT2 Pro bass amp? It's 300w RMS in 4 or 2 ohms. It'd be so sweet to be able to record at home with headphones!

Well, the ideal setup would a Torpedo product handling 300W RMS under 4 Ohms, and we don't have that.

In the real world, I saw some SVT2 Pro running on the VB-101 in studios. The best advice I can give in this case: don't try to run your amp at max volume, be reasonable, monitor the temperature on the VB-101 or Live, and everything should be OK.

If you have to set your amp at max to find the sound you like, you need a 4 ohms 300W load.

Back