Saw God Forbid/Goatwhore/Mnemic last night.

cloudnine

Not usually a show I'd hit up, but my gf is a GF fan and I figured why not. Haven't been to a gig in awhile. I hadn't heard any more than a few snippets of GF and never even heard of the other bands.

Some bands named Arsis and the Human Abstract were supposed to play, but apparently they were held up @ the border. Anyway, got there around 7 and some local band showed up to fill in. They weren't good. I don't remember what their name was.

Mnemic was next. I wasn't a real fan of what they were doing, but they did it well and looked like cool guys. The bassist looked like he was 40 and had a midlife crisis, and one of the guys was a total outsider with short hair and a weird hat. I said hi to the lead singer afterwards and he was very polite.

Goatwhore was after. They sucked. They were super Satanic wannabes - the bassist looked like a bank teller, and he had the silliest spiky armbands and shinpads. Their music was literally noise, and it went on forever. Sucked.

God Forbid surprised the hell outta me. They came onstage and really rocked the house. The mix was a little messed up - couldnt hear the leads very well unless they were harmonies. I'm not a huge fan of metalcore but these guys did it well and they are definitely the best metalcore band I've heard yet. Looked like they were having a hell of a time too, especially the guitar players - one of whom looks like Kirk Hammett. :LOL:

They were insanely tight, and some of their riffing was damn impressive. Even the almighty breakdowns they had kicked some ass and got the whole place bumpin', including myself. From what I can see they played most of the new album, and had some cool songs. I might go buy it. They were super nice guys too; they thanked everyone for coming out and Kirk Hammett (Dallas Coyle) personally thanked everyone at the front and shook hands with many including myself. Grabbed the GF a setlist that they tossed into the crowd and were on our way. Good gig! Worth the $15 American ticket price. There were only maybe 200 people there, but that was cool since it made the gig more intimate.

I wanna go see them in Monkena this weekend SO BAD! They opened for Children of Bodom last year, but I only got to see the last couple songs. Their awesome!

Jesus, 200 people?

I have seen them a couple of times and they dont dissappoint. What did you think of the Krank sound? I like it from them......

Anyway, its about time you got into God Forbid, awesome band that cant seem to get the respect they deserve.

>|<>QBB<
cloudnine":338f5 said:
Goatwhore was after. They sucked. They were super Satanic wannabes - the bassist looked like a bank teller, and he had the silliest spiky armbands and shinpads. Their music was literally noise, and it went on forever. Sucked.

I have no idea how this band is signed and how they're getting on so many tours. They're absolutely terrible. They played here some months ago and the local opener that hit the stage before them smoked them soooo bad on every level... Tightness, songs, and stage presence. Worse part of all is that they play here at least 2 or 3 times a year and they always suck.

i dont see why God Forbid is filed under MetalCore. IMO they are Metal, and thats it. Doc and Dallas are pretty badass players, and the whole band is tight as hell. and just think, most of them are BLACK! :D too little of that in rock music nowadays. i mean Chuck Berry invented Rock and Roll IMO, and now a lot of black people dont even acknowledge it. wtf?

i want to see them...hopefully theyll come to Memphis sometime soon. id like to meet em and talk about music and shit.

>|<>QBB<
CaseyCor":621a6 said:
I would LOVE to meet them this weekend. How hard is it to find them after the show?

The last time I saw them in Vancouver (At the Croatian), the singer was at the merch table chatting it up ..... he seemed pretty level headed to me which was kinda refreshing.

Didnt see Doc/Dallas, but then again, I didnt go lookin like a fanboy either.....

Cool band.
:bang:

Yeah, 200 or so people. The floor was only two-three deep and maybe fifteen wide with maybe 15 people in the pit. Most people just stood at the sides and back-ish. Maybe not even 200.

I can hear the hardcore influence.

The Krank sound wasn't bad. It was pretty "brutal" but a very full sound. Very tight.

I also liked that the guys in GF don't try to pose or be "metal" like so many bands do. It's just silly, and they just come off as dudes who love the music they're playing and don't need the fucking lameass image.

>|<>QBB<
CaseyCor":98812 said:
I would LOVE to meet them this weekend. How hard is it to find them after the show?

where i usually go to shows in Memphis the guys that play usually hang around the merch area or wherever. when i went to see Nevermore, Evergrey, and In Flames i met all the guys in Evergrey (they were drinkin' it up! cool guys!), met Van from Nevermore who was also cool as hell. didnt get to me Loomis or Chris Broderick (who was filling in for Steve) or anyone else, which i would have liked to. Anders was just walking around out back and we chilled and got some pics with him.

so far everyone ive met in bands has been cool as hell, and very down to earth and willing to talk to anyone. its nice to see that. and i dont necessarily talk about the band with the guys, its usually just BSing about day-to-day stuff, music in general, drinking...LOL i cant wait for another good show to come along!

I think it would be badass to meet them, they seem like really cool guys. I met Hetfield and Hammett in 2004, was AWESOME!

nice... and yea God Fordbid fucking rules, great bunch of cats to... they lent us there 5150 to track our album with....

>|<>QBB<
CaseyCor":cf97b said:
I wanna go see them in Monkena this weekend SO BAD! They opened for Children of Bodom last year, but I only got to see the last couple songs. Their awesome!

20 minutes from my house.

>|<>QBB<
Inearthed":c8517 said:
>|<>QBB<

I have no idea how this band is signed and how they're getting on so many tours. They're absolutely terrible. They played here some months ago and the local opener that hit the stage before them smoked them soooo bad on every level... Tightness, songs, and stage presence. Worse part of all is that they play here at least 2 or 3 times a year and they always suck.

I'm baffled by their current hype as well. So many people are ranting about them, but I haven't heard anything from them that caught me as good.

Back