IF Egnater Made a Power Amp...

Line out
ground lift
built in ISO
MIDI switchable so we can go from 6L6 to EL34 with our feet
rear mounted bias pot and contacts. Better yet, a digital read out so we can get the bias at a glance.

spongebob1.gif

I actually cant believe there isnt a poweramp already. I mean, look at all the opportunities for customers:

1) Everyone who buys an M4 needs a power amp (assuming they dont have one already) and would probably buy a matching Egnater one if available.

2) Alot of guys who use preamps are always looking for the best power amp. Right now, its basically only the VHT. There isnt alot of good competition. An awesome Egnater power amp would sell huge to guys using M4s, IE4, Fish, CAE 3+, etc.

3) It can be used to help build the brand. Look at this... a guy gets an E2 and the power amp. He finds out later hed rather use 4 instead of 2 modules live. No problem. He sells the E2 and gets an M4 with minimal change to his rig. For a MOD 50 user to do this, its much more of a pain. You need to sell the whole head, then buy an M4 AND a power amp (see point #1).

I just cant see it being anything other than a huge opportunity.

I think it would do well but there is more competition than just VHT. There are a bunch of Mesa amps both in production and out of production that sound GREAT with the M4. There's the Randall, Marshall, Carvin. There are options. That said, Egnater would have an opportunity to add things like I suggested that would set it apart.

Dave

From an economic standpoint, I don't see why more companies don't put out 1U 20-30 watt stereo power amps with bells & whistles.

I think a lot of aversion to rack preamps is that you are almost obligated to spend $1000 + on a "good" power amp (I'm talking NEW, not used). It's less complicated just to buy the head version--if there is one.

While I know many here would pay whatever if an Egnater power amp was offered, given the success of the Rebel line I really think Egnater could have a win with a small 20/20 type stereo power amp with the Egnater options at ~$400 - $600.

Maybe just me, but, again, with the E2 coming out and small amps in vogue right now, it just seems the way to go and would be a perfect compliment to the E2 for the masses.

On a more serious note
I don't gig but have my Egnater in my guitar repair workshop - so I dont need huge power amps, but it wasn't easy finding exactly what I wanted so I had one made:

So now I run my Egnater M4 through a single ended 10w power amp that runs Just a single power tube- I currently use a 6CA7 but can use an EL34 /6L6 or a 5881

It sounds seriously good at volumes that could still get me evicted but also sound great scaled back
I was determined to use large bottle tubes in it rather than EL84s which are great but have a more compressed tone to my ears
This sounds huge and totally REAL to the type of amps that I want to sound like
Here she is:
Slavestar10W014-1.jpg

Note - I had all the controls and sockets put on the front because of how it sits next to my rack
The Piranha is wired up via the mixer but I usually use my EGGIE for everything these days
P1050086.jpg

It's pretty simple inside
Heres some pix with a 5881 tube inside - swapped it for a 6CA7
goldstar_slave1.jpg
goldstar_slave_01.jpg

I would love a stereo version of this !!

I do own a Marshall 9100 50/50 if I wanted to go and gig or rehearse louder

seriously, what better way to make a MODULAR system more MODULAR than giving the user power amp choices or poweramp modules that might have different wattages, options, or tube selections.

i mean, EG is all over the preamp modular deal :) it fits right in with who they are to make poweramps as modular as their pre's.

is that subtle enough?

I was talking about this earlier and I think I would like...

1 space
ability to use 4 different types of tubes (6550, EL34, 6L6, EL84, etc.) in any configuration mono/stereo (MIDI)
pentode/triode and hi/lo power modes
power scaling
direct out

Essentially the ultimate M4 counterpart. Each module can be assigned to a different tube or combination of tubes. Would 4 separate power sections for dual stereo be overkill? Say I want to run 2 preamps in an A/B/Y setup and out to 2 stereo or 4 mono cabs. Or 2 mono one stereo. It would need to be bigger I guess, but that would take care of me I think. :LOL: :LOL:

chode7":39u0qxkj said:
I was talking about this earlier and I think I would like...

1 space
ability to use 4 different types of tubes (6550, EL34, 6L6, EL84, etc.) in any configuration mono/stereo (MIDI)
pentode/triode and hi/lo power modes
power scaling
direct out

Essentially the ultimate M4 counterpart. Each module can be assigned to a different tube or combination of tubes. Would 4 separate power sections for dual stereo be overkill? Say I want to run 2 preamps in an A/B/Y setup and out to 2 stereo or 4 mono cabs. Or 2 mono one stereo. It would need to be bigger I guess, but that would take care of me I think. :LOL: :LOL:
I don't think you can realistically fit large bottles (EL34, 6L6, 6550, etc) in one rack space, could be wrong though. There's also the output/power transformers.

swimrunner":20ej2yz9 said:
I don't think you can realistically fit large bottles (EL34, 6L6, 6550, etc) in one rack space, could be wrong though. There's also the output/power transformers.

Yeah I started embellishing on my initial idea mid post. :confused: Would be nice but I sincerely doubt all that crap would fit in one space. Though the rear shot of the 20/20 looks like there's room back there.

20-20-Rear-LG.jpg

I want an Eggie power amp bad but since I just got laid off for the second time since December 15th I hope they delay release :) Only cause I don't want this available and not be able to afford it - yeah I'm being selfish :)

:D Cool then I can get rid of my RT2/50s. I will put them in my home theater rack and re tube them. :2thumbsup:

Jeff Hilligan":1ema4qm4 said:
Sit tight guys..... :thumbsup:

Awesome, thanks Jeff!!!

I really like my Randall RT 2/50, and I've been very happy using it with both my M4 and my old IE-4. Of course the VHT and Mesa power amps are great too. But I feel like there is room in the market for an Egnater power amp, or maybe even 2 different models.

I'd love to see on the one hand, a sort of souped up, industrial strength version of the RT 2/50...ie it would have the ability to switch between stereo or dual-mono configurations, swap out different tube types, etc. But I would love to have a power scaling feature like on the Tourmaster line. So maybe each channel would have a setting for power scaling. Don't worry too much about size/weight...just the ultimate in tone and flexibility.

On the other hand, it would be cool to have a simple, light-weight *mono* power amp for use in smaller rigs. A 1U amp like the Mesa 20/20 is really attractive, but it only takes EL84's and it's stereo. I'd be OK with a 2U amp as long it could take either 6L6 or EL34, and was mono so that it could be about half the weight of the RT 2/50, which is really a beast when it's mounted in a larger rack with other stuff.

Just my 2 cents worth, but very glad to hear there is something in the works!

Ok so here is the blueprint for right now!

Single rack spaced stereo and bridged mono. 30 watts a side 60 mono. Loaded with 2 pair of 5881's, presence, density, High low power switch and standy on each channel, so if one side goes down you can still use the other. Will accommodate 5881, 34's and 6v6. No 6550, or KT's. When in mono you can use dissimilar tubes so you can load the amp with a pair of 5881's and a pair of 34's like a tube mix knob, without the knob. Thats it. No room for anything else.

Proto typing beginning this month! As you all know delivery will depend on Bruce blessing it and that is a difficult task to do! I am really behind this for M4 and of course the long overdue E2. Sit tight and I will keep everyone informed when they will be in production and when we will be taking orders.

Jeff Hilligan":1rodylz7 said:
Ok so here is the blueprint for right now!

Single rack spaced stereo and bridged mono. 30 watts a side 60 mono. Loaded with 2 pair of 5881's, presence, density, High low power switch and standy on each channel, so if one side goes down you can still use the other. Will accommodate 5881, 34's and 6v6. No 6550, or KT's. When in mono you can use dissimilar tubes so you can load the amp with a pair of 5881's and a pair of 34's like a tube mix knob, without the knob. Thats it. No room for anything else.

Proto typing beginning this month! As you all know delivery will depend on Bruce blessing it and that is a difficult task to do! I am really behind this for M4 and of course the long overdue E2. Sit tight and I will keep everyone informed when they will be in production and when we will be taking orders.
Will this be a GC thing Jeff!

6550's !!!!!!! :no: I thought you guys give the 34's a bad rap? :confused: one space would be nice for a small rig but I think the tone/power would lie in a VHT 2/90/2 type like amp with an added blend knob,high low power, midi switching/mute Egnater biasing setup. Personally I never liked a single space power unit when most pre amps are 2 spaces, looks unbalanced. Would look good with a E2. What about heat? would it be deep enough for the heat to rise and disperse with out heating up other units ? or would It need a blank space between pre amps? just my 2 cents.

I wouldn't mind just seeing a poweramp version of the poweramp in the Tourmaster, with the 100/50/20/10 watt options, the nice master volume and so on.

Back