Old G12T-75's.........wasn't expecting this !

troublehead

I scored a quad of 25 year old 75's and loaded them in a Mojotone 4x12 Straight. They sound fantastic and nothing like the recent 75's I have used in the past. Smooth as butter on the highs and nice tight lows. What I really wasn't expecting is that the cab is noticeable LOUDER than the exact same cab loaded with Vintage 30's. I thought my ears were playing tricks on me so I "X" patterned a pair of the 75's with the Vintage 30's and the old 75's actually overpower the V30's.

What is going on here???

001-6.jpg

I think when those speakers are broken in hard they can sound really good, especially with some volume. A local guy who I saw play often had one of the best tones ever and he used 75's, but he played at ear bleed levels.

thats what I have in my demo 412. people cant believe it those.. they are older. I think I bought them from a guy at paul reed smith who is a member here. I love them.

danyeo":1ufh85bb said:
I think when those speakers are broken in hard they can sound really good, especially with some volume. A local guy who I saw play often had one of the best tones ever and he used 75's, but he played at ear bleed levels.

I don't know.....I always thought the same about the volume thing. But these sound great even at practice volume. And the character doesn't change much as I crank them up. I'm really loving these.

75s are great all-around speakers. I just sold my T75-loaded JCM900 1960A cab to my other guitar player and his sound has never been better. I've still got the 1960B cab and love it (though I'll admit, it pales next to my G12-30 silver label Uberkab). I definitely prefer the 75s to V30s when it comes to a nice, flat or slightly scooped tone. The V30s seem to force more of their character onto the listener than the 75s do.

75's, old or new, actually sound killer with a flat out CRANKED Marshall. I borrowed a cab with 75's for a gig and was expecting the worst due to my past experiences with them, but with the amp cranked loud as hell they sounded fantastic!

I might have to revisit these speakers. I have a pair in the garage that havent seen the light for 10 years. Last time I checked...I hated them. I thought?

75's sound good somedays and not so good on other days. They f with your head that way (more so than other speakers IMO).

Want.
Whenever I see G12T75's for sale I always check to see if they are those early ones.

I'll get in on some 75 love. Just for the fun of it I plugged the Pitbull into my Sunn reissue 4x12 w/75's. I noticed a marked difference when I pushed it. I think that has more to do with the 50w power section than anything, but nothing on earth compares to the thud of a pushed 4x12. :rock:

-EDIT (Except more pushed 4x12's!) :rawk: :m17:

psychodave":2zndzl2n said:
I've always liked the 75's. I have an older quad that sounds great. :rock: A few years ago I got some "tone bras" and put them in front of the 75's. Holy shit, they sounded killer.

Kenny used 75's and we how great his tone always was. And didn't you buy a cab from him with 75's?

guess i'll jump on in the 75 bandwagon as well. both my a and b cabs are loaded with them. picked up some promo material from celestion that suggested they sounded good with distorted and overdriven tones for hard rock. after running a pedalboard rig through a decent sounding clean amp (carvin x 60 w/6L6's) i can't say that i disagree. :thumbsup:

jcj":3mak09iu said:
Shit, I like 75's better than Greenbacks....always have :LOL: :LOL:

+1000. I've always said that and then would get blasted on these forums. I have an older quad too. I never could understand the hate. People say they are "scooped". I don't hear that. I rotate back and forth between the 75's and 65's.

Schaf

Hint, find some really old ones with the vents on the back. Those have more mids and character to my ear.

So are their actual verifiable differences with the older ones versus the newer ones?

I have liked the few G12T-75 speakers that I have had, provided I used a Marshall through them. The mesa mark IVA I have does not get along well with G12T-75's.....

I remember when I was I selling my old JCM 800 1960A cab from the 80's w/ 75's in it. I took it to Guitar Center for a potential trade until they offered me half what they told me over the phone - complete BS since the cab was mint. Anyways for grins while there I plugged it in side by side with a new one - my old one sounded 100x better than the new one. No spikey high end, smooth and warm compared to the new 1960A.

Back