How many G-Major users in this forum, we can share our experience and may be patches too..

GLydian

Hi Everyone,
I am a G-Major user for more than 4 years. I am using G-Major with FCB1010 and my own software (GLydian) to control the G-Major form my computer. I love G-Major for its transparent sound. But I hate the hardware interface specially the control knobs which does not respond sometimes. it is so difficult to modify patches with the unpredictable behavior of these knobs and buttons. Thats why I wrote this program to control G-Major thru my computer.

I am continually updating and improving this software and sharing it with whoever want to use it. I have published this software in yahoo group but planing to move here as my permanent place to publish my upgrades and talk about issues and feedbacks. Mainly because I see this place has good moderation and I don't see spammers. G-Major yahoo group is getting bombarded with spammers. I am not against frees peach or anything but as a principal I don't like supporting to make a stage for spammers by publishing my work there. I checked out Harmony Central forums, but it seems very high traffic place, I tend to west my time every time I go there :doh:.
If I have enough audience here in this group, I can request any existing GLydian users in yahoo group to come here for new updates and discuss about it.

So I would like to see how many of you guys use G-Major in this group.
Just reply to this thread if you are a G-Major user or/and like my idea.

GLydian

I would like to know more about your software. I use the G-Major and I would love to get some kind of spreadsheet or something to keep track of my parameters.

I've got all my controlling down to program changes, so the RFX MidiBuddy gets the job done for me.

:|::QBB:
cvansickle":bc543 said:
I would like to know more about your software. I use the G-Major and I would love to get some kind of spreadsheet or something to keep track of my parameters.

I've got all my controlling down to program changes, so the RFX MidiBuddy gets the job done for me.

I uploaded the latest version of the program here in sticky at the first thread.
This is newer than the versions in Yahoo group, I just built it today.
I don't want people here to go and register in Yahoo group too just to get my program. But for some time I will be replying to both groups.
Will see how people here respond.

finstah":5895f said:
does your group and software include G-Force users as well? :D
No :(
Because GLydian does not support G-Force.

T.C. Electronics does not publish their SysEx message format for G-Major or G-Force.
But few years back some one called "DowntownPauly" reverse engineered the SysEx message format for G-Major :thumbsup: .
But G-Force SysEx message format is still unknown.

I may need some help soon, I just got this today.

gmajor001.jpg

My gmajor should be here in Saturday :) What do I need to connect it to the computer? One of those midi/pc game port cables?

4nkam":ccc20 said:
My gmajor should be here in Saturday :) What do I need to connect it to the computer? One of those midi/pc game port cables?
Hi
There are some MIDI interfaces for G-Major discussed in yahoo group theread:
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/G-Major/message/3730
Come back here to talk about it when you get it.
GLydian

Hi everyone. I'm a new member and have had my G major now about two weeks and love it. I use a Behringer FCB1010 midi board to control it and my Marshall JVM410H all at the same time and it's great! My question is, what parameters of the G major can I control with the two expression pedals on the midi board? I haven't tried it yet, but I know you can work the whammy with the expression pedal, but is there anything else?

Thanks for any tips!

timbo":84cbb said:
Hi everyone. I'm a new member and have had my G major now about two weeks and love it. I use a Behringer FCB1010 midi board to control it and my Marshall JVM410H all at the same time and it's great! My question is, what parameters of the G major can I control with the two expression pedals on the midi board? I haven't tried it yet, but I know you can work the whammy with the expression pedal, but is there anything else?

Thanks for any tips!
Recently I had to answer same question in G-Major Yahoo group. Here is what I had to say
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/G-Major/message/3751

Hi,
I am not a pro player, so some pro may help you better. But recently I had to play with G-Major Modifiers little bit, just to understand how a G-Major user would use it, so that I can design a better interface for GLydian to use Modifiers. And found it really useful. Here is what I can say about Modifiers.

In G-Major certain parameters of certain effects can be controlled by midi pedal or expression/volume pedal. You do it using those so-called modifiers. You can define 4 modifiers in GLydian, since you have FCB1010 you can use the two pedals in it as M1 and M2 etc. If you have another Volume pedal you can connect it to GM and assign that also as M3 or M4. These assignments are globle and you do it using MOD menu.
Then you go to any patch and click on Mod button select any Modifire for eg select M1 and press the Adjust knob(Adjust knob is the inner knob of the right side encoder wheel and knob)now you can select available parameters which can be assigned to any Modifier. This is kind of wired interface and very confusing to a starter.

GLydian Promo:
So I designed GLydian interface to do this Modifier assignment part much easier way. In new versions of GLydian each Effect units parameter Dials will have a check box below it if that Dials parameter can be assigned to a Modifire. Just click on this button you will see a menu with five options (Off, M1,M2,M3,M4) and three Dials to set minimum, Middle and Maximum level for the Mofifire response curve. (This is basically: minimum is when your pedal is at minimum position what percentage of parameter value you want to set, Mid is when your pedal is at middle position what percentage of parameter value you want to set. ect ..)

Little experiment:
One extreme case example would be take Pitch shifter and assign M1 to Pan1 and Pan2 params. but make Pan1 Min 0% Mid 50% Max 100% but for Pan2 make Min 100% Mid 50% Max 0%. And then set voice one and two to a pitches one low and one high as you want. Now if you have a stereo amp setup you can here how low voice and high voice is moving from left to right and right to left at same time when you move the pedal assigned to M1. This is just an idea what weird/dynamic/dimensional sounds you can make with this units features. (I have a small recording amp called Lexicon Signature 284 with stereo power amp section)
I would also like to know how others in this forum use Modifiers in G-Major.

Thanks,
GLydian

Thanks GLydian. I'm going to download and play with your software a bit and try some things as soon as I can get some time. Unfortunately my full time job gets in the way alot.

How can I recieve a sysex dump from my gmajor in glydian? That is the method for saving all user presets correct?

I can see data transmitting in midiox so I know the unit is communicating..

Thanks for your work on the editor glydian!

supahd":9f730 said:
How can I recieve a sysex dump from my gmajor in glydian? That is the method for saving all user presets correct?

I can see data transmitting in midiox so I know the unit is communicating..

Thanks for your work on the editor glydian!

Go to "Midi" menu and then "Midi Setup" to select the MIDI IN and OUT.
After that click TxPlaying button just to see if it can receve the current patch in G-Major to GLydian.
If above all works fine,
You can use following menu operations to load all user bank presets to Glydian internal runtime library and then saving that on to your hard disk.
Patch Library->Add User Patches to the Patch Library
this will take some time and then
Patch Library->Save Patch Library to SysEx Files in your computer
I hope this will help.
Thanks,
GLydian

Hmm, I get the patch transmitted from Glydian to the gmajor, after which it shows G-Lydian on the display of the gmajor. But when I select "Add gmajor user patches to patch library" nothing happens.

If I click on patch library there is nothing in there either..

Do I need to start the bulk dump prior to importing the patches?

Am I missing anything here?

supahd":8bb7b said:
Hmm, I get the patch transmitted from Glydian to the gmajor, after which it shows G-Lydian on the display of the gmajor. But when I select "Add gmajor user patches to patch library" nothing happens.

If I click on patch library there is nothing in there either..

Do I need to start the bulk dump prior to importing the patches?

Am I missing anything here?

Ok you may need to do little bit more basic stuff first.

So according to your comment it looks like GLydian can send SysEx MIDI message to G-Major. You can test the MIDI communication in other direction by Receiving a patch from G-Major. You can click RxPlaying (Receive the playing patch from G-Major) button. This should load the selected patch in G-Major to GLydian. Now if this works, "Add User Patches to the Patch Library" should also work.
One more thing how do you know that "Add User Patches to the Patch Library" does not work. After you do "Add User Patches to the Patch Library" you should see all your user bank patch names as sub menus under the menu Patch Library->Open Patch

Now non of above works for you you need to do following:
Down load the pure Java version of GLydian. Extract it on to any folder in your computer.
Now start Windows command prompt.
From windows start bar:
Start->Programs->Accessories->command Prompt
This will open up the black DOS window. from here change the directory to the folder where you extracted Pure Java GLydian.
in this folder if you type
dir
and press enter you should see two entries as:
GLydian.jar
resources

Now type following:
java -cp .;GLydian.jar GLydian
This should start up GLydian.
Now try to perform the task in GLydian which ever did not work for you previously.
Now it should output lots of text messages on to the windows command prompt.
Please cut all those messages and mail them to me.
I may be able to find out what is wrong with your setup then.
Thanks
GLydian

P.S.
F.Y.I. There are some brief tips for all those buttons(TOOL TIPS). just move mouse over the buttons in the main control panel, you will see small tool tip pop-ups for brief period.

Back