What boost do you guys like in front of Soldano amps?

Jayy

I'm just curious what other guys are using for a boost and what they like (or don't like) about it. I had always been a guitar straight into amp guy and never used boosts before, then just recently discovered using a Maxon OD808 and a bone stock Boss SD-1 as a boost. I've been doing the typical thing with level up, gain off or very, very low, and tone knob somewhere around noon or a little above. Those two pedals have a bit of a different sound and flavor from each other, but either one is great. I've been setting the gain on my SLO's overdrive channel at about 3 and hitting it with the boost. It has done awesome things for tightening the lows on the amp up and tightening up the feel. :rock:

So what do other guys like as a boost for any of the Soldano amps?

I got the Hot Rod 25. Amp is great on it's own. I usually keep the Gain around 7 or 2:00. When I want to really rip w/ lots of sustain, I lower the Gain to noon, hit it with either a Maxon SD-9, Ibanez TS 808HW, or a Klon KTR. My old SLO I used to hit with a Fulltone FD-II. All great boosts as are the ones you're using.

My first couple SLOs I just used an EQ pedal, mids bumped a bit to tighten. Now I use an OD1X, tightens but is very open and doesn't compress much.

Cool. Thanks guys. I'm going to have to start researching pedals to use as boosts more. I think what the SD-1 and the OD-808 are giving me that I like is the higher level hitting the amp for the compression and sustain, but just as importantly (maybe more importantly) the low cut inherent in the SD-1 and the OD-808. That cutting the lows going in and then using the bass on the SLO's tone stack to bring the bass back up after the drive is really doing it for me. I don't need the boost for drive or gain whatsoever. The SLO has more gain available than anyone sane could ever need, IMO. The boost just gives my SLO the tightest, heaviest thump and feels great and is much more articulate than without it. Some of my other amps I feel no need for a boost in front at all, but with the SLO I think it's pretty awesome!

I used an od808 and Keeley red dirt but recently switched to an fx8 and really like the bb pre model

I ilke the mxr custom badass modified od. The tube screamer types are to middy and not fat enough. The slo is already very middy so this just fattens up the gain and sustain. I dunno works for me

halebox":3l55p8fi said:
I ilke the mxr custom badass modified od. The tube screamer types are to middy and not fat enough. The slo is already very middy so this just fattens up the gain and sustain. I dunno works for me
Too many mids, definitely, I dropped the amps mids to 2-3 and then hit the boost pedal.

I was actually so-so on the SLO until I boosted it, then amazeballs. Loved it, like the best modded Marshall ever.

Racerxrated":3tvwhdkw said:
halebox":3tvwhdkw said:
Too many mids, definitely, I dropped the amps mids to 2-3 and then hit the boost pedal.

I was actually so-so on the SLO until I boosted it, then amazeballs. Loved it, like the best modded Marshall ever.

Yeah, me too. I drop the mids to 3 or 4 with the OD808 and the SD-1. I also feel it's a lot more like a modded Marshall when boosted. I also like the crunch channel with the gain on about 7 and the SD-1 level dimed, tone knob at about 1 o'clock, and turn the drive to just barely on, maybe 8 o 9 o'clock. It sounds pretty sweet on the crunch channel, but the overdrive channel with gain on maybe 3 and drive off on the pedal is better.

I am not a huge fan of boosts on many amps. In fact I think some amps sound worse with them. I don't boost my SLO.

I have a 100 Watt Avenger & The Boosts I have used are: Maxon OD-9, T.C. Electronics Distortion/Booster (the original one), T.C. Electronics Spark Boost, Way Huge Green Rhino, MXR Overdrive/Boost Model MC402. a Custom Boost from Amp Man Mods, Boss SD-1.

My Favorites are the Spark Boost, Green Rhino & the Maxon OD-9. The Avenger seems to Really Love Clean Boost Pedals.

Take your pick man, but I'd suggest using a pedal that doesn't screw around with the low end too much. I like the low end of Soldanos. Pedals like the Maxon OD820, Klon KTR, Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive, Hermida Zen Drive, or any pedal with an EQ that lets you have some control over the low end are good. Tube screamers work great too. I didn't like the Fulldrive or DS-1 with any Soldano because they cut the low end or something, and the DS-1 has a harsh high end. If you turn the tone knob up or down very much on the DS-1, it sounds worse, so you're pretty much stuck with it around the noon mark. The Decatone may be the exception. It's kind of a darker amp in a way, has enough of low end, and a little more compressed or something, but it just seems to work with all kinds of overdrives/boosts. It's the kind of amp that doesn't need any pedals, but always benefits from them.

They're super expensive but my buddy has the King of Tone in front of his SLO and it sounded incredible.

The first time I tried the SLO was his with no boost and tbh I didn't really like it. I thought wow, what is the craze about.

With a different cab and the KOT boost it was completely amazing.

RockyStar":3cqdyes4 said:
I am not a huge fan of boosts on many amps. In fact I think some amps sound worse with them. I don't boost my SLO.

SLO has plenty of gain, agree added distortion layers shit around the signal. Use a clean boost for volume and work the guitar technique. Found this out with a Cornish NB-3 (correct way). Another alternative is turn up louder and use the volume control on the guitar.

maddnotez":2tgda9z4 said:
They're super expensive but my buddy has the King of Tone in front of his SLO and it sounded incredible.

The first time I tried the SLO was his with no boost and tbh I didn't really like it. I thought wow, what is the craze about.

With a different cab and the KOT boost it was completely amazing.

I was talking to a friend of mine who also owns a SLO about boosts, and he said he liked the KOT a lot with it. Said it didn't mess with the core tone too much but added something really awesome to an already cool tone.

FWIW, I have an EP Booster, stock TS-9, and a Fulltone OCD. I don't care for any of those with my SLO. The EP Booster is cool, but it'd be better if had more eq options. The TS-9 just sounds too boxy and colors the tone more than I like. The OCD does ok on the lp mode, but that pedal is more of a creamy distortion pedal than an OD and doesn't really make the tone or feel better. I'm in the same boat as you. The tone of the SLO by itself is great, but I like a good boost more for how it feels than how it sounds. I'm still on the lookout for a good one for my SLO.

Back