What boost do you guys like in front of Soldano amps?

Mr. Willy":e7qda2vx said:
maddnotez":e7qda2vx said:
They're super expensive but my buddy has the King of Tone in front of his SLO and it sounded incredible.

The first time I tried the SLO was his with no boost and tbh I didn't really like it. I thought wow, what is the craze about.

With a different cab and the KOT boost it was completely amazing.

I was talking to a friend of mine who also owns a SLO about boosts, and he said he liked the KOT a lot with it. Said it didn't mess with the core tone too much but added something really awesome to an already cool tone.

FWIW, I have an EP Booster, stock TS-9, and a Fulltone OCD. I don't care for any of those with my SLO. The EP Booster is cool, but it'd be better if had more eq options. The TS-9 just sounds too boxy and colors the tone more than I like. The OCD does ok on the lp mode, but that pedal is more of a creamy distortion pedal than an OD and doesn't really make the tone or feel better. I'm in the same boat as you. The tone of the SLO by itself is great, but I like a good boost more for how it feels than how it sounds. I'm still on the lookout for a good one for my SLO.

Yeah I hear you. It's the bass cut in the pedal then bringing it back up on the amp that I like with the OD-808 and the stock SD-1. Between the two I probably prefer the SD-1 by just a tiny bit. The SLO has a reputation with a lot of people as a really bright amp, which I don't get. I mean, you can dime the treble and presence and MAKE it bright, but I do not find it overly bright. I'm usually playing it through Scumback BM75 speakers, which are the Scumback version of the old blackback era greenbacks. They are greenback type speakers, but certainly not dark speakers. They are really cool speakers with all of my amps really. To me the SLO has a lot of low mids and just a thick, saturated sound with lots of lows and mids. The boost pedals that cut that bass and low mids back and push the front of the amp just really help the tightness and feel to me. I don't add any drive or gain with the pedal and have the overdrive on the SLO at about 3 and that is plenty of gain for me when boosting the front end of the amp.

I'm getting curious about the Cusack Screamer and VFE Focus though.

I'm still curious about the VFE and Cusack pedals, but I tried experimenting with some other pedals last night and so far I keep coming back to the $45 bone stock SD-1. Go figure. The damned thing just works!

I have a Soldano HR25 and have had really good results with a klone (BYOC silver pony) boosting the normal channel and overdrive channel. I like boosting the normal channel more than the overdrive channel, as I think the overdrive channel is pretty saturated already once the gain is about 2.5 and beyond.

I have also use a Maxon OD-808 and Kingsley Jester Boost function. Both worked well. Haven't tried the Timmy with the HR25, but I would like to.

Boss OD-1 into my SLO.
I modded it a bit by increasing the low end a touch on the pedal.

Man, it seems like there is about 10,000 flavors to try. For what I'm after any boost with a good bass cut is a good place to start. I'm very curious about the VFE focus or standout.

blackba":7v70y7ux said:
I have a Soldano HR25 and have had really good results with a klone (BYOC silver pony) boosting the normal channel and overdrive channel. I like boosting the normal channel more than the overdrive channel, as I think the overdrive channel is pretty saturated already once the gain is about 2.5 and beyond.

I have also use a Maxon OD-808 and Kingsley Jester Boost function. Both worked well. Haven't tried the Timmy with the HR25, but I would like to.

Yeah the Maxon OD-808 works well with my SLO too.

The Salvation Audio Tonewheel does the trick for me....It leaves the liquid-feel to the tone but tightens it up just the right way for me...

I use Xotic EP Booster. My amp sounds dull without it. Once you turn it on it's hard to turn it off again. Xotic offers quality products.

Boss SD-1

1642880536050.png

I have an Xotic EP boost which is nice in front. Then I have a boss eq which I push the 800 up much like Tom Scholz for some specific songs. Then an Mxr eq on the front of the amp.. not sure I will use it or not in that position. Have not experimented enough with it yet.

Revisiting this: the ONLY boost I’ve liked with my SLO (have only tried OCD, EP Booster, and TS) is a Friedman Buxxom Boost. It is BAD ASS with the SLO. Doesn’t change the character at all, but you can really goose the front and tighten the low end. I can actually do thrashy gallops with this boost. Totally takes the SLO to a different level. I use the Buxxom wo the EQ. I imagine any high quality clean boost that allows for cutting the bottom will be exactly what you’re looking for. My SLO is a ‘92.

Here’s an interesting new clean boost. I’m toying with the idea of having two clean boosts on my board. That would give me three different flavors of gain without changing the character of the amp.

Back