Dark Theme Option Please - My Eyes are Killin' Me!

Monkey Man

Super Moderator
I'm OK during the day but at night the squinting and burning has slowly been eating away at me.

I've looked everywhere in my Control Panel and in the forum itself but can't see any option to change themes. I thought phpBB at least had blue, bottle-green, silver and dark themes to choose from by-default. I'm pretty sure the option to switch themes was there in v2 and possibly before that. Not sure which version the board's currently running.

Anyway, if it's there but I just can't find it, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

If it's not there, please could an admin enable it or consider upgrading to a newer version of phpBB? I'm certain I'm not the only one around here with tired eyes.

Thank you! :thumbsup:

Bump...

Winter's settin' in early by the feel of it and the dark hours are extendin', so the eye-hurt is a-growin'...

Help please! :doh: :LOL: :LOL:

Yeah, it's especially-obvious at night, particularly when I switch from any other forum as I scatter my Monkey Goodness™ around the interwebs.

It's an assault on the visual senses. :LOL: :LOL:

Monkey Man":3f61o606 said:
I'm OK during the day but at night the squinting and burning has slowly been eating away at me.

I've looked everywhere in my Control Panel and in the forum itself but can't see any option to change themes. I thought phpBB at least had blue, bottle-green, silver and dark themes to choose from by-default. I'm pretty sure the option to switch themes was there in v2 and possibly before that. Not sure which version the board's currently running.

Anyway, if it's there but I just can't find it, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

If it's not there, please could an admin enable it or consider upgrading to a newer version of phpBB? I'm certain I'm not the only one around here with tired eyes.

Thank you! :thumbsup:
:student:

Now that we're on XenForo, I was hoping to see a basic choice of theme option in my preferences. Alas, I can find nothing.

Hopefully this will be added in the near future...

Thank you Nico.

I saw in another thread that you're hoping to rest up a bit and then tackle it. No major hurry, mate. I mean, it's not like some of us haven't been waiting years thanks to the old phpBB board. :thumbsup:

I've built a very quick dark mode (you can change selection at the bottom left of pages). Please let me know what you think.
Again, this was really quickly done and I'm not a designer but I'll ask our design team to improve this (as well as the default style).

It's definitely just-fine for now, mate. Thank you! :cheers:

Matter of fact, it'll probably do in the long run as well. It's not like we required anything special; just a means of getting rid of the glare. :student:

As a bonus, the old board's emojis really pop against the dark background and look spectacumalar. :thumbsup:

Just wanted to say that I'm used to the new "black" version of Dark Mode now.

Took a little while, but it's just-fine IMHO. Thanks again, Nico.

Thanks for the feedback. Change is always difficult when you're used to something ;)

This style is much more consistent that the one I did quickly when migrating.

Back