1976 Super Lead with S.I.R. #34/36 Mod

EddyLenz

Hi Everyone,

I finished the mod in this awesome amp and I really like the result. There's just something about an old JMP that always gets me :D
And if anyone is sad because I "butchered" a vintage amp... this one already had holes for an FX loop on that back :p

This one still has the original Mustard Caps and I also left in the original Mustard .68 Presence Cap, although I normally have .1 Presence for this mod, but it sounded awesome like that, so I didn't want to change it.

I know that there's a lot of history behind these mods, especially the #36, and this is just me trying my best to make it sound like I think it should.

What do you think about it?

Cheers,
Eddy

First of all, I can't believe you butchered a vintage amp!

Second, I don't really take it personally, I think it sounds great! I have tried that circuit before.. for what it does THAT sound, it's awesome but after a while I think that really pushed nasal mid shoved down your ears gets a bit old and fatigues me. Where did you get the spec? It sounds like it might have a bit more cocked mid push than the original AFD circuit but regardless sounds great and obviously your playing helps that. An amp only sounds as good as the person playing it I always say.

For the record, I still feel Sweet Child O Mine is a cocked wah on the neck pickup with the tone slightly rolled back. Would make sense given the use of the wah on this song. When I listen to the track, it's not gained out and sounds even thinner than yours. Doesn't really matter though.

First of all, I can't believe you butchered a vintage amp!

Second, I don't really take it personally, I think it sounds great! I have tried that circuit before.. for what it does THAT sound, it's awesome but after a while I think that really pushed nasal mid shoved down your ears gets a bit old and fatigues me. Where did you get the spec? It sounds like it might have a bit more cocked mid push than the original AFD circuit but regardless sounds great and obviously your playing helps that. An amp only sounds as good as the person playing it I always say.
Haha, thanks!
I started with one of the schematics that are around and tweaked it from there till I liked it.
It sure isn't a sound that I would use all the time, but it definitely has its place.

For the record, I still feel Sweet Child O Mine is a cocked wah on the neck pickup with the tone slightly rolled back. Would make sense given the use of the wah on this song. When I listen to the track, it's not gained out and sounds even thinner than yours. Doesn't really matter though.
Yeah, I did have a bit too much gain dialed in for that tone. I personally don't think it's a cocked wah though, but who knows :D

It's almost unfortunate for Slash that his best work was his first work but listening to his later stuff shows he's got a great ear for his tone and actually is a solid rythm player and riff writer. Where he has lost the magic is on the leads. He sort of lost the magic after Illusion in my opinion. Live, he bores me with the same extended solos over and over again. We get it man, but you ain't Yngwie.. give it a rest.

:p
It's almost unfortunate for Slash that his best work was his first work but listening to his later stuff shows he's got a great ear for his tone and actually is a solid rythm player and riff writer. Where he has lost the magic is on the leads. He sort of lost the magic after Illusion in my opinion. Live, he bores me with the same extended solos over and over again. We get it man, but you ain't Yngwie.. give it a rest.
I used to think he was so so until I bought the first Snakepit cd. That fucker could play at that period or it was someone else. :eek:

Back