New 5150?

PurityS.L.G

NEW 5150.jpeg

This was posted on Wolfies Twitter. If you zoom in, you can see the EVH logo on the bottom right of the cab and the head it seems. 3 power switches too. I wonder if this is the model they've had James Brown working on...

I know EVH is releasing a new amp. I have a soft "Don't say anything!!!" gentleman's agreement though...

Well shit man, spill the beans!! LOL I'll personally just say that I found out through my aunt's boyfriend's cousin's half brother or something!

I'm curious to see if it will be a straight up 5150 or 5150ii or whether it will build upon one of those or the evh amps.

Just another reminder of his passing. EVH Fender will still release new gear but it's not going to be the same for me somehow. That amp and cab look very interesting though.

Looks interesting. They have done a bunch of small variations on the same thing so far. Would be cool if this one is a different design. The original EVH 100 is a great amp but has its downfalls like evreything else. The stealth 6l6 100w went to far with gain/compression IMO. I was considering trying the EL34 100w version but Im assuming its not much different .

Just another reminder of his passing. EVH Fender will still release new gear but it's not going to be the same for me somehow. That amp and cab look very interesting though.
Eddie did a lot of great things for us guitar nerds. I’ve been wanting to pick up one of the 5150 Standard guitars, but they’re literally out of stock at every single place. I want to see EVH’s line of gear to continue to be sold even if Eddie isn’t here. So far, Fender has done a pretty good job with EVH guitars. I hope it continues.

Reactions: LCW
Eddie did a lot of great things for us guitar nerds. I’ve been wanting to pick up one of the 5150 Standard guitars, but they’re literally out of stock at every single place. I want to see EVH’s line of gear to continue to be sold even if Eddie isn’t here. So far, Fender has done a pretty good job with EVH guitars. I hope it continues.
+1

Very interested to see what flavor/ground this amp covers. Loved the Peavey 5150 1 but hated the 5150 II. The live videos from 1998 in Australia are good examples of the II's wonky mid/high voicing.

The early IIIs seemed to have the wonky mids too, but I don't have a ton of experience with them.

With JB on it--and pure speculation judging by the cosmetics--makes me wonder if they are doing a better/upgraded version of the 5150 1.

Very interested to see what flavor/ground this amp covers. Loved the Peavey 5150 1 but hated the 5150 II. The live videos from 1998 in Australia are good examples of the II's wonky mid/high voicing.

The early IIIs seemed to have the wonky mids too, but I don't have a ton of experience with them.

With JB on it--and pure speculation judging by the cosmetics--makes me wonder if they are doing a better/upgraded version of the 5150 1.

Just FYI the wonky mids were fixed with the 5150 III 100w Stealth and 100w EL34 heads.

Just FYI the wonky mids were fixed with the 5150 III 100w Stealth and 100w EL34 heads.

Were they? If I understand what he's talking about he means the change from a 1nF/470k treble peaker after the red channel first gain stage on the original 5150/6505 circuit to a straight 500pF on the II/+ variant and all of the EVH amps. This gives it that weird "choked" mid thing because it's high-passing a massive amount of low end/low mids out of the signal early on - it makes them really tight but loses a lot of richness.

EDIT: I should add, that and one other change (that has minimal sonic impact) are literally the only differences between the 5150 Mk1 and Mk2 red channel circuits.

Back