What’s the tightest amp with the biggest low end you’ve played. ?

I’m looking into trying to find the ultimate metal tone . So I wanted to hear everyone’s opinions ! Something clear and articulate but has a ton of low end thump

I agree it’s bigger than the VH4 but it seems artificial in a sense.

Weird what our ears hear. I've played a VH4 extensively and that's what I thought about THAT amp.

I will say that none of the clips I've heard do either amp justice. You gotta play them to know.

Wizard
D60
Splawn QR
Engl Savage 120-tightest amp I ever owned

I've owned a couple Herberts and it has a deep low end, but it doesn't have near the punch/thud/thwack that the above produce. The Herbert's low end is soft compared to the above while these amps have a very hard/direct low end impact. Herbert is cool, but more compressed with a softer attack that I couldn't stay with.

6505+ is another one that is tight as fuck with a huge low end, but the low end isn't as hard/direct as the three I mentioned, but it isn't as soft/saggy as the Herbert.

Last edited:
Diezel Herbert... followed by Engl SE

but not my "ultimate metal amp". These 2 ideal amps can be mutually exclusive.

Weird what our ears hear. I've played a VH4 extensively and that's what I thought about THAT amp.

I will say that none of the clips I've heard do either amp justice. You gotta play them to know.

It's strange that clips seem to do such a poor job for the VH4, but I agree I've not heard a YouTube clip that really sounds like what I hear in the room with a VH4. There was one Tool album (the one with Vicarious) that really sounded like a VH4 to me (though I'm sure he blended a million amps to get that sound).

Wizard
D60
Splawn QR
Engl Savage 120-tightest amp I ever owned

I've owned a couple Herberts and it has a deep low end, but it doesn't have near the punch/thud/thwack that the above produce. The Herbert's low end is soft compared to the above while these amps have a very hard/direct low end impact. Herbert is cool, but more compressed with a softer attack that I couldn't stay with.

6505+ is another one that is tight as fuck with a huge low end, but the low end isn't as hard/direct as the three I mentioned, but it isn't as soft/saggy as the Herbert.

Wizard is on the short list. Playing in drop B, drop C and B standard. Assuming it holds together that low no problem?

Again, funny what our ears hear and WANT to hear. I’m influenced by Acid Bath, Crowbar, Down, CoC and that type of stuff. For me that tone is perfection. What type of music are you playing on a Wizard?

Last edited:
Aren’t most of that stuff solid state amps?

Crowbar has been, Acid Bath was a Peavey Butcher and Randall es80, Down was Randall SS, Oranges and Marshalls, CoC was a Mesa 50Cal blended with something else and Oranges for a long time now.

I’ll run a BAT Pharaoh/Quantum Mystic into the Herb clean channel, gets me there. Have an Orange Dual Dark when I wanna get really sludgy.

Deliverance, Wizard, KSR Gemini as well. The Mark III Blue Stripe gets pretty tight as well.

I didn't think the VH4 was necessarily tight, stiff yes.

I guess when I think tight,it relates to the low end and how it tracks.

Back