Sykes Whitesnake

Great stuff
I’m kind of surprised that the opening of that solo is a bit choppy. In the mix it sounds amazing

also kind sad how he didn’t even stick around in the project for the videos or tour& basically disappeared from that Huge success
It wasn’t necessarily his choice. Coverdale fired him after the record was cut.
Sad for us that we didn't get to see John on the tour . When I first saw the video for Still Of Night I thought WTF who are these guys LOL then I started recognizing them, I didn't know John and the rest of the band were fired. Notice that DC not only fired John but stole his blond hairstyle , I bet his was a breath of fresh air for him not having the share the spotlight with John on that 87/88 tour.

Yeah, he fired the whole band, but I thought he fired Sykes separately from the other two, more or less. I thought it was mainly because Coverdale was out of commission for awhile with throat problems or something, and Sykes wanted to move on without Coverdale, was tired of waiting on him. Even brought up the idea of replacing Coverdale. Ultimately, that was what got Sykes fired. Whatever the reason was, Coverdale still, to this day, has NEVER replaced Sykes. He’s had some great guitarist in the WS lineup, but what he and Sykes did was pure magic.
Going off memory here but Bob Rock (or it might have been Adrian not 100% sure) told a story on a podcast that he was in the room next door when Coverdale and Sykes had a huge blow up over the phone..it had something to do with Coverdale wanting Sykes to redo a solo on "here I go again" from memory. Sykes flew back from England to confront David about it and thats when he got fired... Adrian Vandenberg was it the studio recording a new solo for it when Coverdale and Sykes were arguing in another room ... here what Adrian said

So you were there when they actually broke up?

"Well, yeah. Apparently, John Sykes was in England at the time, and David let John know that the cooperation didn't work anymore.
"So, I was working in the backroom when John Sykes and David were arguing; it was quite a historic event, especially looking at it afterwards. At that particular moment, nobody could have predicted the immense success of the record so, yeah, I'm still really proud to have been a part of it all.
"I just bought a cheap-ass Japanese Stratocaster copy or something, and David asked me to play the parts on 'Here I Go Again,' and I did. So it was quite a strange experience to watch the song go all the way to No. 1 on a cheap Japanese guitar.

Is there any known recordings of Sykes using his Jose Arrendondo Marshall's?

What amps did he use on Slide it In album? 1984 Saints and sinners album 1982?

Going off memory here but Bob Rock (or it might have been Adrian not 100% sure) told a story on a podcast that he was in the room next door when Coverdale and Sykes had a huge blow up over the phone..it had something to do with Coverdale wanting Sykes to redo a solo on "here I go again" from memory. Sykes flew back from England to confront David about it and thats when he got fired... Adrian Vandenberg was it the studio recording a new solo for it when Coverdale and Sykes were arguing in another room ... here what Adrian said

I believe the story goes that Coverdale was finishing up the record and Sykes got wind that he and the other guys were being replaced, and drove down there and David stormed outta there in his car.

He doesn't play on the Saints and Sinners album , wasn't in the band at that time . He played on the US version of the Slide It In album but my ears are only hearing him throw a few licks in various songs , supposedly he overdubbed some rhythms but I don't hear any solos that sound like him

I've heard Dave Friedman say there is the jose blended in on the 87 album but I don't really hear it.. Pretty much all Bob did to get the tone is create a Wet/Dry rig for John. He just took the signal from the Boogie and ran it thru a DDL (delay) and some Modulation and ran that signal into a second cab and then miked both cabs. If you haven't run wet/dry or a stereo rig at home you need to try it....you get a MASSIVE tone at very very house friendly volumes. happy ears and happy wife = win win

I've heard Dave Friedman say there is the jose blended in on the 87 album but I don't really hear it.. Pretty much all Bob did to get the tone is create a Wet/Dry rig for John. He just took the signal from the Boogie and ran it thru a DDL (delay) and some Modulation and ran that signal into a second cab and then miked both cabs. If you haven't run wet/dry or a stereo rig at home you need to try it....you get a MASSIVE tone at very very house friendly volumes. happy ears and happy wife = win win

interesting. i have a SPX90 im sure i could do something similar with, might have to experiment with that

Didn't Keith Olsen produce WS '87 ? Was Bob Rock working for Keith at the time ?

VERY cool. It's amazing how many subtle nuances are lost or buried in the mix. The stuff we would think of as nosie or errors become apparent, so cool to hear this and understand more about how they made it.

Are you sure it was done in the room ? The left/right split I mean ? A lot of times they do it on the desk so it only went to tape. It's cleaner that way, kind of like the difference between putting effects before the amp vs in a loop.

That was very cool to hear. As other have stated, I just heard a bunch of parts I have not been playing correctly. lol!

Didn't Keith Olsen produce WS '87 ? Was Bob Rock working for Keith at the time ?
Yes Keith produced it (with Mike Stone) ... Mike Fraser was the studio assistant and he worked for Bob as his assistant also, so Mike contacted Bob when they just could not get a good guitar tone

Are you sure it was done in the room ? The left/right split I mean ? A lot of times they do it on the desk so it only went to tape. It's cleaner that way, kind of like the difference between putting effects before the amp vs in a loop.
The way Bob described it, it sounded like he walked into the room with the amp but who knows. I think the fact there were separate mikes makes it easier to choose what ever blend you want

And wasn’t there some quote from Zakk Wylde that he (Zakk) used the same small Marshall combo amp on No Rest For The Wicked that Sykes used on 87 ?

Dear OP thanks for putting this up!

a few things:
is that clean part a rockman? sure sounds like one,
notice all the noise from the amp ,all the extraneous string noises and "mistakes"
none of that shit would last a second in the pro tools / daw it to death world we now live in and as a result the track would have less character and performance mojo.
Thankfully we got to hear and see the fully realized sykes on the first blue murder album,
In another minute we just might get syops this year i know you fuckers are holding your breathe :hys:

And wasn’t there some quote from Zakk Wylde that he (Zakk) used the same small Marshall combo amp on No Rest For The Wicked that Sykes used on 87 ?
I thought Sykes only used a Marshall on the solo for Is This Love. Could’ve swore I read that somewhere years ago.

yes Zakk did say this. I think there is a lot of "chinese whispers" (known as telephone in the US??) type stuff going on here..things getting lost in translation from one person to another

Back