V-Plex modded to HG Jose type circuit and CCV features

scottosan

Basically started of as Super lead circuit with a Ken Fisher type 1 PPIMV. Had to work through some issues, such and a non functional presence pot and the layout was out of phase with the OT when removing the PPIMV since the wiring of the the PI plates to the MV went back the the adjacent grids/bias splitters

I converted to a circuit based on a Cameron HG Jose/CCV Hybrid Circuit. 2 gains, each with 3 way bright switch, 3 way gain voicing/structure switch and 3 way clippers and the Cameron punch circuit. Will be adding a 3 way dark switch once I get more switches in. Added a metro loop as well. 515v on the plates biased at 32ma. All Mercury Magnetics iron with 10H choke. 50’s Tung Sol in V1. Weber Legacy speakers, similar to scumback J series blue frames. Jalen Franky pickups. All clips had the same tone setting, presence 4, bass 6, mids and treble 4. All else controlled by clipper, voicing, bright, and gain controls. Recorded in just a few minutes. As usual, pardon my craptastic playing.

Medium gain plexi-ish medium clipper middle gain voicing

High gain, medium clippers, voicing left bright switches left

High gain, high clippers, voicing left bright switches left

Clean. All switches middle, no clippers

Sounds good Scott. I imagine those Mercury transformers are similar to what Cameron used in his CCV's, the voltage is pretty high at 515DCV.

Sounds nice a tight with that kerrang and aggression Camerons have.

Sounds good Scott. I imagine those Mercury transformers are similar to what Cameron used in his CCV's, the voltage is pretty high at 515DCV.

Sounds nice a tight with that kerrang and aggression Camerons have.
Yeah l, this ammonia the alpha in the room. This is my 3rd with Mercury Magnetics and another 4 with Classic tones. My last 2 MM’s had 715p orange drops and they’ve been my favorites

I have re-listened to the clips and it really sounds like alot of the pre-brad CCV's IMHO... while your previous CCV clones with the Classic tone transformers sound very good but those versus this amp with the Mercury Magnetics transformers seems to really deliver a more authentic Cameron CCV grind, tightness and tone. I also tend to agree with the "CLEAN GAIN" description of the gain structure.

What Cathode caps did you use in the this amp, just curious?

I have re-listened to the clips and it really sounds like alot of the pre-brad CCV's IMHO... while your previous CCV clones with the Classic tone transformers sound very good but those versus this amp with the Mercury Magnetics transformers seems to really deliver a more authentic Cameron CCV grind, tightness and tone. I also tend to agree with the "CLEAN GAIN" description of the gain structure.

What Cathode caps did you use in the this amp, just curious?
I reused whatever the stock ones werewere in the amp, except I used Wimas on the 2nd switchable stage. Wasn’t you that sent me the RIFAs? I can’t remember.

I reused whatever the stock ones werewere in the amp, except I used Wimas on the 2nd switchable stage. Wasn’t you that sent me the RIFAs? I can’t remember.
Cool...I just looked at your earlier pics and those are the generic Polyester foil caps, I am really impressed with how they sound as cathode caps, they definitely have the aggressiveness/clarity in the realm of the MPW polyprolpylene caps which I like as well.

Yeah I sent you those RIFA's, those have alot of clarity as well.

Back