JerEvil's 2021 Home Studio Gear Updates thread!

JerEvil

Jumped in and went with a new Neve R10 and a couple mic pre’s. I’ve been wanting to start incorporating hardware into my recording and mixing situation for a while now. I have a pair of Tonelux MP5A mic pre’s coming and hopefully they’ll be in this week.

Looks so lonely! Lol! Got my eyes on a few other pre’s, a Wesaudio Bus Comp and maybe the Rupert Neve 542’s for tape emulation.

EDIT: 2/9/21
So I have a lot of stuff I am planning on adding and honestly, having a LOT of fun doing this and getting new recording gear. Also, I have been getting some great advice from folks here and other places. Figure, may as well document the updates/additions.

Here's a couple unboxing vids. Will do some dedicated vids on the pre's for sure.

Last edited:
You've entered the 500 series rabbit hole. Best of luck keeping your sanity. :giggle:
Yeah, this is why I refused to buy microphones for so long. I had a collection of guitar amps when I didn't even play guitar. I got a pedalboard and cracked out on that. Now I'm buying mics left and right. The last thing I need is to get into outboard gear. I'm already going nuts collection plugins!

You've entered the 500 series rabbit hole. Best of luck keeping your sanity. :giggle:
Yeah, this is why I refused to buy microphones for so long. I had a collection of guitar amps when I didn't even play guitar. I got a pedalboard and cracked out on that. Now I'm buying mics left and right. The last thing I need is to get into outboard gear. I'm already going nuts collection plug
Oh man I KNOW this is going to get f*cky! Between the 500 Series and now Synergy, I’m in dangerous territory.

FFS I had ONE e609 for like 5 years. Then like 3 months ago I bought:
• SM57
• Beyer 201TG
• sE VR1
• Royer 121 clone
• Sennheiser 421
• Lewitt MTP440

I need to slow the roll a bit!

Get a vintage unidyne 57, thank me later. Also I’d be curious to hear clips double tracked panned hard left and right with the two notes studio and the mic pre in the signal chain, and without the mic pre in the chain if you ever are extremely board and have some free time :)

Also a 1073 clone will be probably more than you’ll ever need, but I guess it doesn’t hurt to have more pre’s.

I’d like to get a 500 rack going too but I could see how that’s a big rabbit hole
Same. Not fucking doing it. Way to take one for the team Jer @JerEvil
Ha! I’m here for you guys! Lol!

I would like a nice 1073, eq and 1176 type comp just to have one legit channel so I feel like I’m not missing on anything
Yeah I’m need a 1073 for sure

Get a vintage unidyne 57, thank me later. Also I’d be curious to hear clips double tracked panned hard left and right with the two notes studio and the mic pre in the signal chain, and without the mic pre in the chain if you ever are extremely board and have some free time :)

Also a 1073 clone will be probably more than you’ll ever need, but I guess it doesn’t hurt to have more pre’s.
I’ll have to look up the Unidyne for sure.
Also I plan to exactly run the Studio this way. I’ll make comparison clips for sure.

Ha! I’m here for you guys! Lol!

Yeah I’m need a 1073 for sure

I’ll have to look up the Unidyne for sure.
Also I plan to exactly run the Studio this way. I’ll make comparison clips for sure.

Jerevil, check out this comparison video to hear the differences, there’s a reason why these are flying up in price . The unidyne sm57’s are brighter ( in a good way) not nearly as congested , and don’t have that 3/4K midspike the new sm57s do. The top end sounds like Van Halen, simple as that. I’ve got some killer comparison clips as well on my Marshall and Mesa cabs.

Oh man I KNOW this is going to get f*cky! Between the 500 Series and now Synergy, I’m in dangerous territory.

FFS I had ONE e609 for like 5 years. Then like 3 months ago I bought:
• SM57
• Beyer 201TG
• sE VR1
• Royer 121 clone
• Sennheiser 421
• Lewitt MTP440

I need to slow the roll a bit!
I just got a pair of those sE Voodoo mics. I really like it so far. I'm about to do drums with them soon. I got a SM7B recently and haven't even used it yet.

Once I start making money with this stuff, then I'll come back and look at this thread again.

Well you've gone and done it now.... welcome to the money pit. I have about 4K worth of recording gear and preamps I bought and barely used. Best of luck with your addiction.

I just got a pair of those sE Voodoo mics. I really like it so far. I'm about to do drums with them soon. I got a SM7B recently and haven't even used it yet.

Once I start making money with this stuff, then I'll come back and look at this thread again.
HA! I literally went a bought an SM7B yesterday! LOL! 😜

Well you've gone and done it now.... welcome to the money pit. I have about 4K worth of recording gear and preamps I bought and barely used. Best of luck with your addiction.
Ha! I am praying I don't end up in the same situation!

Finally got these guys unpacked and loaded into the chassis. Man, really nice difference running the pair with the Torpedo. Will hook up some mics for some vocal tracks tonight.

sID5H9Ol.jpg

X0Lhc2Ol.jpg

The Tilt EQ is REALLY nice for quick top end/bottom end adjustments

I'll add these to the OP as well, but finally have a full proper channel strip sorted PLUS and additional pre.

Here's the compressor. It came in few days ago:
Rg4CE1ul.jpeg

And just got the EQ today:
T8ato6Bl.jpg

And here's everything in so far...
F6qonF0l.jpg

The pre's make a really nice difference, especially on the Torpedo. I keep them "always on" with it. The "Tilt EQ" on the pre's makes a nice touch for tracking and just adding a little girth or air depending. When I am doing bass or vocals, I remove the second one from the Torpedo and then run Pre > Comp > EQ as a chain.

Tried the Pre/Comp the other day when the comp got here as a bass chain and it was awesome! Going to keep this rack all guitar, bass and vocal tracking stuff. Will do another for mix bus and various "other" needs. Looking at some full size hardware as well.

Back