Online amp demos

mooncobra

There are a couple guys, that no matter what amp they play, it sounds exactly the same. It’s the oddest thing I’ve ever seen. Literally, exactly the same!! And one of the demo dudes, no matter what amp played, regardless of how bad ass the amp is, makes it sounds like a box of sizzling 🐝’s.

how is that even possible?

I saw an amp I was looking forward to hearing and sure enough, the sizzling box of 🐝’s was back in full force!! Whoa!! I didn’t even know such a thing was possible!!!!

Last edited:
I know what you mean. Sometimes it's more like a check mark just to make sure the amp can get "that" sound.

Reactions: PDC
The worst sounding clips I heard were from Louis Torres’ YouTube channel. Ola’s never sounded good to me either. I’m though getting started trying to make clips myself and it can be surprisingly hard to not get a buzzy/harsh sound for some reason, so I feel for those guys a little, but I’m a total newb and still figuring it out

rezas vids suck

He’s also a complete fucking tool, so that doesn’t help either.

also there is nothing wrong with sticking a 57 on a Cab: most of your core favorite tones start out this way, and get knocked into play with ( often) non drastic EQ. Some of yours favorite tones are often just great riffs: seriously, think about it. Our brain can’t differentiate often between great playing and “great” ( opinion/subjective info) tone. What NEEDS to happen is guys working on their craft, and learning HOW to mic an amp properly.

and I’ll say it: Fluffs tone is absolutely fucking terrible: pure garbage: his tone was better 5 years ago, but man if I never had owned or played the amps I have or have had and had no way to hear them but through his videos, I would’ve never bought any of them.

He’s also a complete fucking tool, so that doesn’t help either.

also there is nothing wrong with sticking a 57 on a Cab: most of your core favorite tones start out this way, and get knocked into play with ( often) non drastic EQ. Some of yours favorite tones are often just great riffs: seriously, think about it. Our brain can’t differentiate often between great playing and “great” ( opinion/subjective info) tone. What NEEDS to happen is guys working on their craft, and learning HOW to mic an amp properly.

and I’ll say it: Fluffs tone is absolutely fucking terrible: pure garbage: his tone was better 5 years ago, but man if I never had owned or played the amps I have or have had and had no way to hear them but through his videos, I would’ve never bought any of them.

I am
Not a fan of fluffs tone or playing, but that’s just my opinion.

also there is nothing wrong with sticking a 57 on a Cab: most of your core favorite tones start out this way, and get knocked into play with ( often) non drastic EQ.
Of course. A few years ago these youtube channels tend to do full mix demos and with EQ and processing, but people complain about that too. Now people complain about the can of bees when they do straight up playthroughs.

The worst sounding clips I heard were from Louis Torres’ YouTube channel. Ola’s never sounded good to me either. I’m though getting started trying to make clips myself and it can be surprisingly hard to not get a buzzy/harsh sound for some reason, so I feel for those guys a little, but I’m a total newb and still figuring it out
How do you go about recording your amps? Your clips sounded great!!

thanks man!! i just put a dynamic mic on the edge of the cone about an inch out and thats really about it, its just learning what works in mix and how to eq and compress to get there, and its not always the prettiest tone on its own that works. the best way to learn is just start recording over backing tracks like this one and A/B it with the original. im sure youll find whats sounding good in the room might sound like total shit recorded

https://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/play/metallica/sad_but_true_(8).htm

Of course. A few years ago these youtube channels tend to do full mix demos and with EQ and processing, but people complain about that too. Now people complain about the can of bees when they do straight up playthroughs.
Yeah I decided to say fuck it and keep showing full mix clips. That’s how I use amps. I record (some could say poorly) more than anything else these days and that’s what I tend to now buy amps for.

I’ll still do an un-fucked with Playthrough but I like to show stuff in a mix.

Can’t make anyone happy these days so may as well do what you like!

thanks man!! i just put a dynamic mic on the edge of the cone about an inch out and thats really about it, its just learning what works in mix and how to eq and compress to get there, and its not always the prettiest tone on its own that works. the best way to learn is just start recording over backing tracks like this one and A/B it with the original. im sure youll find whats sounding good in the room might sound like total shit recorded

Yeah I haven't gotten around to EQ'ing or compressing yet. I'm trying to get a good raw sound without doing anything of that stuff first. I'm actually getting close to being happy with what I'm getting. The thing that's missing is just that they don't sound as fat or loud as the clips I like of gear demos on YouTube, but maybe that could be from them EQ'ing or doing other things to it afterwards. My recordings all come out pretty quiet for some reason even when I set the gain up high for the mics

Yeah I haven't gotten around to EQ'ing or compressing yet. I'm trying to get a good raw sound without doing anything of that stuff first. I'm actually getting close to being happy with what I'm getting. The thing that's missing is just that they don't sound as fat or loud as the clips I like of gear demos on YouTube, but maybe that could be from them EQ'ing or doing other things to it afterwards. My recordings all come out pretty quiet for some reason even when I set the gain up high for the mics
What are you getting at your Master fader? I usually hit about -6db

I notice some guys shit being louder than mine as well but that’s about what I aim for.

What are you getting at your Master fader? I usually hit about -6db

I notice some guys shit being louder than mine as well but that’s about what I aim for.
I think I had it at zero. Again I'm a complete newb with recording and don't know much yet

I think your mic'd shit sounds fkn awesome. You capture the types of tones and settings that I usually strive for but are way better at it than me and with fkn mics! Always looking forward to your clips dude :cheers:

Back