Looking for an amp

I was already considering the Mesa Boogie Triple Crwon TC50, but I wanted to know if there were other alternatives or better options for what I'm looking for. How does the Badland stack up against it?
The Badlander absolutely smokes the TC50 as does the JP2C. The Triple Crown really should’ve been discontinued a long time ago in my opinion. I really am not impressed with anything Mesa/Boogie has come out with in almost 30 years now except this Badlander. The Badlander, early Revision Rectifiers, Mark IIC+’s and III’s are their best amps and imo the only ones necessary to have at one point in one’s gear quest

There very well might still be better options for you than the Badlander because we don’t exactly know your taste in tone yet, but the TC I certainly don’t think would be one of them and that’s not a new amp like the Badlander. I don’t think it matters how new the amp is. Only matters really how good it sounds

The Badlander absolutely smokes the TC50 as does the JP2C. The Triple Crown really should’ve been discontinued a long time ago in my opinion. I really am not impressed with anything Mesa/Boogie has come out with in almost 30 years now except this Badlander. The Badlander, early Revision Rectifiers, Mark IIC+’s and III’s are their best amps and imo the only ones necessary to have at one point in one’s gear quest

There very well might still be better options for you than the Badlander because we don’t exactly know your taste in tone yet, but the TC I certainly don’t think would be one of them and that’s not a new amp like the Badlander. I don’t think it matters how new the amp is. Only matters really how good it sounds
Mmm you seem biased against Mesa. That's fair, but the consensus I read is that Mesa only gets better across the years, and I saw a lot of really good reviews about TC50. What do you mean by "we don’t exactly know your taste in tone yet" ?

I'm really not familiar with most of the bands you listed. Perhaps you might be in to the Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 40? Fairly low wattage and a ton of features.

Edit: The EQ is midi controllable/saveable

Mmm you seem biased against Mesa. That's fair, but the consensus I read is that Mesa only gets better across the years, and I saw a lot of really good reviews about TC50. What do you mean by "we don’t exactly know your taste in tone yet" ?
I own 6 Mesa/Boogie amps. Clearly I must hate them. Anyway, we’ve tried to be helpful and advise. There were lots of good suggestions here. Good luck on your amp quest

OP, you're in Europe. What about Engl or Hughes & Kettner? I don't know their models as well, but I'm sure they've got something that would scratch your itch. Or a Diezel Paul?

I knew right out the gate there would be problems with: CLEAN high headroom, low wattage, small gig/rehearsal loud. 🥳

physics will always win. You can’t have your cake and eat it, too, if you’re not on Mars

Already blocked. Maybe find charveldan and give him a tuggie.
Don't understand that sentence.

I'm really not familiar with most of the bands you listed. Perhaps you might be in to the Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 40? Fairly low wattage and a ton of features.

Edit: The EQ is midi controllable/saveable
Why not, but I don't really like how H&K generally sound or look. I'll look into it if I don't see any better.

OP, you're in Europe. What about Engl or Hughes & Kettner? I don't know their models as well, but I'm sure they've got something that would scratch your itch. Or a Diezel Paul?
Doesn't Engl have subpar clean? What do you think og the Diezel? Again I don't find a lot of feedback.

I was thinking the same thing. FTG 😂
Keep it classy, as always!

So many suggestions and not one of them he would even consider.

Fuck it
2 false assumptions: most suggestions don't fit my few criterias and I considered 2 of them. Good job!

I knew right out the gate there would be problems with: CLEAN high headroom, low wattage, small gig/rehearsal loud. 🥳

physics will always win. You can’t have your cake and eat it, too, if you’re not on Mars
Since when 50w doesn't have enough clean headroom?

I own 6 Mesa/Boogie amps. Clearly I must hate them.
You litteraly said you dislike everything they've done for the last 30 years. It's called being biased. I didn't say you can't have an opinion about it, but I can't consider your opinion as being the only valuable one.

Yeah I just checked this and it seems overdone, not enough reviews and worried about the reliability. Also I don't find them used in listings anywhere and if I buy this new it will go over 2000€.
The Synergy stuff is what I would have recommended too. You don't find it used because it's a different "niche"; it's not an EVH or Marshall or any of the other mass-produced one-size-fits-all amps. Also, guys that own them apparently aren't selling them, which should tell you something.

The Synergy stuff is largely a collaboration between Fryette, Egnater, and Friedman. I'd worry less about their reliability than almost any other big-name amp.

Maybe check Ceriatone too. Nik could maybe build you a 50w Leviathan, or adapt one of the other channel switchers to your needs.

Don't understand that sentence.

Why not, but I don't really like how H&K generally sound or look. I'll look into it if I don't see any better.

Doesn't Engl have subpar clean? What do you think og the Diezel? Again I don't find a lot of feedback.

Keep it classy, as always!

2 false assumptions: most suggestions don't fit my few criterias and I considered 2 of them. Good job!

Since when 50w doesn't have enough clean headroom?

You litteraly said you dislike everything they've done for the last 30 years. It's called being biased. I didn't say you can't have an opinion about it, but I can't consider your opinion as being the only valuable one.
I don’t dislike their more recent stuff, they sound decent enough, they just don’t sound nearly as good as the amps they used to make. Same is true with new vs old Marshall’s, Vox’s, Fender’s and others. It’s sad but true. It’s like their current amps are the from concentrate version of orange juice and their vintage ones are the fresh squeezed version. Try the vintage versions and you’ll be spoiled by how much better they are. It’s like being taken out of the matrix. Hard to go back afterwards. I have no idea where you read about Mesa/Boogie amps getting better over the years. Ask most guys here and they’ll tell you the same. Did you read some magazine article or something implying that Mesa/Boogie’s have gotten better? Or maybe a Mesa/Boogie dealer/salesman said that? You’d be hard pressed to find any knowledgeable/experienced guy tell you that the recent Boogie amps can hold their own with something like an old Mark IIC+, Mark iii or early Rectifier. The Bad Lander was one surprise for me and a newer amp that I still felt sounded very good. I very rarely recommend any non-vintage amps, but this is one of them. You can of course make all sorts of counter arguments about all the advice given here, but ultimately you’re just going to miss out on a great time and great tonal experience, while we enjoy our amps. A lot of guys here had good suggestions and you don’t seem to like any of it, so you may be on your own

I am baffled at being so afraid of 100 watts. The volume knob works both ways mate. Get the Mesa Triple Crown 100. It has separate channels and is available used within budget and can be dropped down to a couple watts and everything in between until your nuts drop.

I love mine, I think it kicks ass. My Badlander 50 is cool and kicks ass. Buy a PRS Archon, I love mine and it kicks ass. You have tons of options to pick from and have been given a bunch of great choices in this thread.

I am baffled at being so afraid of 100 watts. The volume knob works both ways mate. Get the Mesa Triple Crown 100. It has separate channels and is available used within budget and can be dropped down to a couple watts and everything in between until your nuts drop.

I love mine, I think it kicks ass. My Badlander 50 is cool and kicks ass. Buy a PRS Archon, I love mine and it kicks ass. You have tons of options to pick from and have been given a bunch of great choices in this thread.

there is a really good comparison vid between the archon and the TC100 out there on YouTube land that is really good.

I so badly want the archon 100 and am bummed out they discontinued them

Narcissistic cunt. Just get an AxE fX and fuck off.
Imagine being so childish and insecure that you start insulting me (narcissist? of all the insults you could said to me I am genuinely intriged about this one) because I politely declined your recommandation, and at no point did I complain about it for anyone else. It's really funny (and baffling tbh) to see you guys completely loose your mind over something like this.

He’s just gonna make a counter arguement that there’s not enough feedback yet about how good they are or that you’re biased against real amps
Nope, there's cleary enough feedback, but I tried this approach and don't really work for me.

I’m biased against needy new members that start shit just to use the classifieds.
I don't know at point I started shit and I don't know what classifieds are.

Already blocked him.
Cool story! Good continuation!

I don’t dislike their more recent stuff, they sound decent enough, they just don’t sound nearly as good as the amps they used to make. Same is true with new vs old Marshall’s, Vox’s, Fender’s and others. It’s sad but true. It’s like their current amps are the from concentrate version of orange juice and their vintage ones are the fresh squeezed version. Try the vintage versions and you’ll be spoiled by how much better they are. It’s like being taken out of the matrix. Hard to go back afterwards. I have no idea where you read about Mesa/Boogie amps getting better over the years. Ask most guys here and they’ll tell you the same. Did you read some magazine article or something implying that Mesa/Boogie’s have gotten better? Or maybe a Mesa/Boogie dealer/salesman said that? You’d be hard pressed to find any knowledgeable/experienced guy tell you that the recent Boogie amps can hold their own with something like an old Mark IIC+, Mark iii or early Rectifier. The Bad Lander was one surprise for me and a newer amp that I still felt sounded very good. I very rarely recommend any non-vintage amps, but this is one of them. You can of course make all sorts of counter arguments about all the advice given here, but ultimately you’re just going to miss out on a great time and great tonal experience, while we enjoy our amps. A lot of guys here had good suggestions and you don’t seem to like any of it, so you may be on your own
Ok maybe you're not biased against Mesa but maybe you're biased against modern sounding amps since you rarely recommand non-vintage amps? I'm not looking for a vintage sound personally, the music I listed should make it obvious. Would you say the badlander is in this category?
Also I've read about the Mesa quality over forums but maybe I gave it too much credit, I just wanted to let you know, that's all.

The Synergy stuff is what I would have recommended too. You don't find it used because it's a different "niche"; it's not an EVH or Marshall or any of the other mass-produced one-size-fits-all amps. Also, guys that own them apparently aren't selling them, which should tell you something.

The Synergy stuff is largely a collaboration between Fryette, Egnater, and Friedman. I'd worry less about their reliability than almost any other big-name amp.
Yeah maybe it's a good solution, but isn't there anything more practical or simple?

Plenty of good suggestions here. I don’t really understand what wattage you are after if 90w is way too much and 35w isn’t loud enough. You seem very confused my guy
I never said 35w wasn't loud enough, I actually asked if it would give me enough headroom.

The thing is I already have a 100w and there's too much inconveniences. It's like having a Lamborghini in a country where every road is limited to 90 km/h. You recommandations look interesting tho.

Back