Dual/Triple Rec. Multi-Watt or Badlander 100

Texhex

I have a 50W 5153 and a 90W Mark V and am considering a Dual/Triple Rec Multi-Watt or a Badlander 100. The rectifier sounds more like what I would want but, and I hate to admit it, that Badlander 100 is growing on me.

I worry that the rectifier might to be too flubby and scooped but boosted it seems like it would just be killer. I want the more modern version of the Mesa (i.e. the Multi-Watt) and really don't care between dual or triple rec. The more forward mids of the Badlander and it's features are very appealing though and it really does sound great but I think it may be a little too close to the 5153 (maybe not though, 5153 might be more compressed I think).

Mostly play thrashy type std. E tuning, occasional drop D, Les Paul w/ a JB through V30/GB mixed cab or G12K-100s or Reactive Load/IR/Headphones.

Can't decide...

Pretty good comparisons here: (excellent work BTW Kyle!)

And here:

I would take the triple probably if I could only have one. I don’t think it’s scooped as much as low mid focused and since you have a 5150 it should compliment it well. The badlander is also cool though I’d like a lot more time with one

Sounds like you already know the differences between the amps very well. The Triple would provide more contrast to what you already have than the Badlander, and sound bigger, beefier, but the Badlander also may possibly send one of your current amps packing depending on taste. The Badlander is tighter, more midrangey and surprisingly nice clean. Both would do you very well I think, but I’d personally rather have a Rev F or earlier Triple over the multi watt version

I think the best way is to buy one and try it out...then return it to try the other if the first doesn't scratch the itch. Or if you can find a store that has one nearby, which is difficult these days. KBs video is a great comparison.

I would think an OD808 into a multi watt Dual or Triple Recto would match anything the Badlander can do. The Multi watt Rectos are pretty killer. Find one at Guitar Center and use their return policy if you don't like it. Much safer than buying used on Fleabay or Dickverb.

I would think an OD808 into a multi watt Dual or Triple Recto would match anything the Badlander can do. The Multi watt Rectos are pretty killer. Find one at Guitar Center and use their return policy if you don't like it. Much safer than buying used on Fleabay or Dickverb.
It can’t imo. Even with the tightest boost my Triple Rev F/C is not as tight as my Badlander, but maybe close enough depending how discerning you are and if you even want the tightest sound. Defintiely a much fatter, rich sound still than the Badlander, but in person the Badlander has a unique sound that the other Recto’s don’t have that either you will like or not. The clips are good, but not the full story. I can see why the Badlander isn’t for everyone, but at very loud volume I think it’s very impressive and fun to play, much more so for me than the other Recto’s I’ve tried and that fun to play thing doesn’t really come through in clips. Not really at all like a vintage amp, but still very satisfying for my taste

Last edited:
It can’t imo. Even with the tightest boost my Triple Rev F/C is not as tight as my Badlander, but maybe close enough depending how discerning you are and if you even want the tightest sound. Defintiely a much fatter, rich sound still than the Badlander, but in person the Badlander has a unique sound that the other Recto’s don’t have that either you will like or not. The clips are good, but not the full story. I can see why the Badlander isn’t for everything, but at very loud volume I think it’s very impressive and fun to play, much more so for me than the other Recto’s I’ve tried and that fun to play thing doesn’t really come through in clips. Not really at all like a vintage amp, but still very satisfying for my taste
Agreed with everything said here. The Badlander is not a Recto with a different EQ curve. It's just a different amp in feel and sound all together. Really gotta try it to get the whole picture.

It doesn’t really come through in the clips, but the Badlander is one of the tightest I’m I’ve played, but still not stiff or unforgiving. The only amp I have that’s tighter still is my ccv, but not by a ton

The EQ knobs are also more sensitive on the Badlander than other Recto’s yet at the same time it’s easier to dial in than other Recto’s. As long as it’s loud and the presence is up high it should sound good. The fact that Louis Torres hated it is further confirmation that it’s a great amp in my book haha

Last edited:
It doesn’t really come through in the clips, but the Badlander is one of the tightest I’m I’ve played, but still not stiff or unforgiving. The only amp I have that’s tighter still is my ccv, but not by a ton

The EQ knobs are also more sensitive on the Badlander than other Recto’s yet at the same time it’s easier to dial in than other Recto’s. As long as it’s loud and the presence is up high it should sound good. The fact that Louis Torres hated it is further confirmation that it’s a great amp in my book haha
He's made plenty of great amps sound terrible. I'm pretty sure his recording method is the primary culprit, but not the only culprit. Haha.

You're right. The Badlander is just FUN to play. It's got a feel that doesn't compare with anything else. It's sorta dry and articulate, but still feels fluid and not stiff. It's kind of it's own thing and the crunch channel with a boost is a fantastic tone

He's made plenty of great amps sound terrible. I'm pretty sure his recording method is the primary culprit, but not the only culprit. Haha.

You're right. The Badlander is just FUN to play. It's got a feel that doesn't compare with anything else. It's sorta dry and articulate, but still feels fluid and not stiff. It's kind of it's own thing and the crunch channel with a boost is a fantastic tone
His channel is more entertainment for me and I’m still a subscriber. He seems like a really nice guy actually, but has the worst recorded tones I’ve heard on YouTube and his choices in gear are comical. I haven’t seen him review any great amps yet except for the Badlander which he reviewed negatively before even actually trying it. I did learn about some interesting noise gate pedals through him and he was solid there, so I’ll give him that

Yeah it’s one of the few non vintage amps that has a nice feel yet in its own way that’s different from the older amps. It does take boosts very well

Last edited:

I think it might be his studio engineer... the “Audio Ninja” that’s the cause. :poop: Ninja Sound.:yes:

I've owned all of the above & listening to what you have to say I would specifically recommend a Dual Multi-Watt. The mids sit in a better place in the mix than the Triple, in the MW. Note that in the old 2 channels I prefer the Triple. Also the MW tonally is very close to the F and the clean channel is light years better than on a 2ch.

The Badlander really is a great amp & super fun to play. But, it's not at all a Recto. I expected it to be & was disappointed. IMO clips don't show how different it really is.

Last edited:
I've owned all of the above & listening to what you have to say I would specifically recommend a Dual Multi-Watt. The mids sit in a better place in the mix than the Triple, in the MW. Note that in the old 2 channels I prefer the Triple. Also the MW tonally is very close to the F and the clean channel is light years better.

The Badlander really is a great amp & super fun to play. But, it's not at all a Recto. I expected it to be & was disappointed. IMO clips don't show how different it really is.
This is true, it really should be considered in its own category rather than being in the Recto camp. Been a while since I last tried a MW, but I don’t remember the cleans on it being as good as my Badlander, but not sure if the OP would care about that or not anyway

If I were in the OP’s shoes, I would get both a Badlander and dual/Triple Recto of some sort and sell either the Mark V or EVH, but I guess it’ll depend how specific your taste is. I have both a Badlander and Triple Rev F/C myself are they’re more than different enough to both be keepers

Well my clothes washer just shit the bed and flooded my laundry room. No amp for me for awhile... Just my luck! Thanks for the replies. Dual Multi-Watt looks like what I may hold out for, once I get some money. :(

Well that's a buzz kill :LOL:

Sorry to hear that Texhex.

Good news is you've got an EVH and Mark V so....

Do you ever run those together at the same time.

It can’t imo. Even with the tightest boost my Triple Rev F/C is not as tight as my Badlander, but maybe close enough depending how discerning you are and if you even want the tightest sound. Defintiely a much fatter, rich sound still than the Badlander, but in person the Badlander has a unique sound that the other Recto’s don’t have that either you will like or not. The clips are good, but not the full story. I can see why the Badlander isn’t for everyone, but at very loud volume I think it’s very impressive and fun to play, much more so for me than the other Recto’s I’ve tried and that fun to play thing doesn’t really come through in clips. Not really at all like a vintage amp, but still very satisfying for my taste

Nice, I haven't played one so I was just guessing. That's cool that Mesa gave it a different voice, most people who demo the Badlands say it's got a "modern" sound to it.

His channel is more entertainment for me and I’m still a subscriber. He seems like a really nice guy actually, but has the worst recorded tones I’ve heard on YouTube and his choices in gear are comical. I haven’t seen him review any great amps yet except for the Badlander which he reviewed negatively before even actually trying it. I did learn about some interesting noise gate pedals through him and he was solid there, so I’ll give him that

Yeah it’s one of the few non vintage amps that has a nice feel yet in its own way that’s different from the older amps. It does take boosts very well
What's the deal with that guy? Even the ToneKing gets a better recorded tone than that guy!

What's the deal with that guy? Even the ToneKing gets a better recorded tone than that guy!
Haha the one channel worse than his. Maybe he doesn’t actually listen back to hear his recorded tones before posing his videos? Who knows

Nice, I haven't played one so I was just guessing. That's cool that Mesa gave it a different voice, most people who demo the Badlands say it's got a "modern" sound to it.
Yeah it is modern imo, but in a good way that contrasts my other amps. Not modern in like that diplomatic way guys use when they don’t like an amp for sounding too processed lol

Some guys use to tell me that maybe I just don’t like modern amps? No not at all, I like anything that’s actually good lol whether modern or vintage. Most modern amps just fall short

Last edited:
Back