H@rd3R Korn Kontent

Markedman

Edit;
There are some quite brutal guitar sounds on this record, the tone in Harder in particular. What kind of amps were you using in the studio?
“We used some combo amps from a company called Budda. We used that combination with the [Mesa/Boogie] Triple Rectifiers, the Diezels and we used a Friedman on a few of the songs. We’ll run three amps into a selector, so essentially, when you hear a left or right guitar, you’re hearing three amplifiers blended with different mic positions on three different cabinets. So you’re hearing a Mesa, a Friedman, a Diezel all going through separate cabinets.

Brutal Boogie Rectifier tone, with Diezel, Marshall and Vox amps added in. They also love the Boss Metal Zone distortion pedal. These guys, Munky & Head, have their amps set up so that when they switch sounds, or channels, it's a different amp. Brutal brutal & more brutal. I'd love to be a fly on the wall while they recorded. I loved Korn at first listen and I think that "The Nothing" is their best album, by far.

Last edited:
I was a huge fan of the first 2 albums when they came out. Issues was okay. After David Silvera left, I was done. He was the groove of that band. A lot of musicians rip on Korn now, but if they would go back and listen to that first album with an open mind, it was heavy as shit.

Very heavy.
Seen them a few times now live.
I have a few DVDs too.
'Falling Away From Me' is probably my fav song of theirs.

Last edited:
I met Head about 11 years ago in an airport. Had a great chat with him. I can't say I was a Korn fan while they were HUGE, but after meeting Brian, I started listening to all their stuff. The texture of their music and all the dissonance - creepily brilliant. I'm a big fan of Korn now. They have changed over the years, but I think we all have. They released their first album almost 3 decades ago!!

I bought the Tool album the same day and I haven't been able to listen to it without falling asleep, it pales in comparison to the Korn album.

Thier 13th album, their best yet!! Here's the release concert -

Awesome video!! Korn has been my favorite band since the first time I heard Blind back in the mid 90's. I've seen them live maybe 19 times I think and they never disappoint.

KoRn is like, the prototypical cornerstone posterchild band of 90's and early 2000's Nu-Metal.

Having said that I never considered myself a fan but I did see them live in the early 2000's and they absolutely killed it. They're surprisingly awesome live. It's easy to see how they got so big after seeing them in their element.

I really bonded with Life is Peachy back in the 90's. Got the CD from one of those BMG 12 CD's for a dollar mail order deals!

It made the little JL Audio 10" sub in my tiny hatchback boom. :)

So, I've had this album for awhile. I think it is the best album ever by any band ever. It is the best guitar tones, lyrics and song composition I've heard.

My favorites include Who's Next, Diary of a Madman, Master of Puppets, Hotel California, Holy Diver, Reign in Blood, Overnight Sensation, Abby Road, The Dark Side of the Moon, Toxicity, Physical Graffiti, Blood Mountain, Heaven and Hell, etc.

"The Nothing" is tops overall. Perfection Absolute in its totality.

I use to manage a portfolio for Brian before he went off the deep end. His financial advisor had him sign a band promo for me. Sadly I misplaced it somewhere. Glad to see he’s been back and healthy.

So, I've had this album for awhile. I think it is the best album ever by any band ever. It is the best guitar tones, lyrics and song composition I've heard.

My favorites include Who's Next, Diary of a Madman, Master of Puppets, Hotel California, Holy Diver, Reign in Blood, Overnight Sensation, Abby Road, The Dark Side of the Moon, Toxicity, Physical Graffiti, Blood Mountain, Heaven and Hell, etc.

"The Nothing" is tops overall. Perfection Absolute in its totality.
Blood Mountain... (y)

Korn have gotten some pretty cool tones over the years. First two albums are supposedly Ross Robinson's modded Marshall (possibly an Elan Metalhead), Follow the Leader may be Rectifiers and a Morin M120 at NRG Studios, and Michael Beinhorn told me that Untouchables was Diezels and Marshalls through a Marshall 4x12 setup on chair. :LOL:

Back when they first came out, I fucking hated them with a passion. I was right in the midst of my Vai/Dream Theater fanboi days and if there wasn’t shredding on an album, I didn’t give a shit. I hated Tool at this time, too. o_O

I joined a band around then and they wanted to play “Blind”, ”Faggot” and “Clown”, I started enjoying them a little more but still hated the way the guitars sounded. Then I remember seeing the premier for the “Got The Life” video and thinking the guitars sounded GREAT. We went to see them as “Got The Life” was getting really popular and I remember thinking that night, due to the energy in the room, that they were on the verge of being fucking huge. Shortly after that show they released the “Freak On A Leash” video and just blew up.

Once they got their production down I enjoyed them so much more. Follow The Leader is a fucking GREAT album and they generally have several songs on each album I love. I think I’ve seen them 6 or 7 times now, the last time being sometime in 2019 with Alice In Chains and man, they just fucking SLAY live.

I’m also a huge fan of Ray Luzier and while I can understand some being bummed with Silvera gone, I’ll take Luzier any day. That dude is such a fucking beast and just goes off live. I could literally just watch/listen to him and be totally happy.

Glad they’ve all seemed to get their shit together. They were pretty crazy with the partying and not in the Pantera kind of fun partying, more like the “I already feel like shit so I’m going to do a bunch of meth and scream at people” kinda way. The 2nd or 3rd time we saw them, with Rob Zombie, we were right in front of Head in the front row. That dude was so fucked up onstage that night it didn’t even look like him. He was playing fine, but his eyes were that color I always refer to as “opiate blue”, which is kinda grey. Xanax and opiate users often have them (I’ve peered out from behind them plenty times myself).

Really, they’re probably the one band next in line to take over when Metallica’s done, as far as being the biggest rock/metal bands out there.

Back when they first came out, I fucking hated them with a passion. I was right in the midst of my Vai/Dream Theater fanboi days and if there wasn’t shredding on an album, I didn’t give a shit. I hated Tool at this time, too. o_O

I joined a band around then and they wanted to play “Blind”, ”Faggot” and “Clown”, I started enjoying them a little more but still hated the way the guitars sounded. Then I remember seeing the premier for the “Got The Life” video and thinking the guitars sounded GREAT. We went to see them as “Got The Life” was getting really popular and I remember thinking that night, due to the energy in the room, that they were on the verge of being fucking huge. Shortly after that show they released the “Freak On A Leash” video and just blew up.

Once they got their production down I enjoyed them so much more. Follow The Leader is a fucking GREAT album and they generally have several songs on each album I love. I think I’ve seen them 6 or 7 times now, the last time being sometime in 2019 with Alice In Chains and man, they just fucking SLAY live.

I’m also a huge fan of Ray Luzier and while I can understand some being bummed with Silvera gone, I’ll take Luzier any day. That dude is such a fucking beast and just goes off live. I could literally just watch/listen to him and be totally happy.

Glad they’ve all seemed to get their shit together. They were pretty crazy with the partying and not in the Pantera kind of fun partying, more like the “I already feel like shit so I’m going to do a bunch of meth and scream at people” kinda way. The 2nd or 3rd time we saw them, with Rob Zombie, we were right in front of Head in the front row. That dude was so fucked up onstage that night it didn’t even look like him. He was playing fine, but his eyes were that color I always refer to as “opiate blue”, which is kinda grey. Xanax and opiate users often have them (I’ve peered out from behind them plenty times myself).

Really, they’re probably the one band next in line to take over when Metallica’s done, as far as being the biggest rock/metal bands out there.
I actually went to Church here in my hometown last week on Good Friday and Head was here to tell his story. He spoke for about 45 mins of how fucked up he was all the time. He said he was basically drunk or high from age 15 on, until around 33 when he found God and got clean. Plenty of people mocked him back in the day for that but whatever it takes to save your life along with his daughter who was basically abandoned when he was out touring with Metallica. He had to learn how to be a Dad and not kill himself at the same time. Much respect to him.

I actually went to Church here in my hometown last week on Good Friday and Head was here to tell his story. He spoke for about 45 mins of how fucked up he was all the time. He said he was basically drunk or high from age 15 on, until around 33 when he found God and got clean. Plenty of people mocked him back in the day for that but whatever it takes to save your life along with his daughter who was basically abandoned when he was out touring with Metallica. He had to learn how to be a Dad and not kill himself at the same time. Much respect to him.

Yeah, I've read his book and watched the documentary he did with his daughter recently. Good stuff and it's cool to see him trying to pay it all forward by being just a generally good dude.

I was a huge fan of the first 2 albums when they came out. Issues was okay. After David Silvera left, I was done. He was the groove of that band. A lot of musicians rip on Korn now, but if they would go back and listen to that first album with an open mind, it was heavy as shit.
So true.
The Silvera guy was the taproot.

I saw Korn on their first tour of Florida when they played a very, VERY Small Club, There was so much low end you couldn't make out any of the other instruments, it sounded terrible. They were Amazing however. Nicest people you could ever meet and had the best stage presence at the time. i saw them again a few Months later in Atlanta and they sounded amazing in a slightly larger venue.

This song really sucks IMO. That whole "harder and harder and harder" part is just... bad.

Back