AxeFX Ultra Rig Question

ghosty999

So I've built a small portable AxeFX Ultra and I'm using the rear input for output of my Line6 Digital Wireless.

The Ultra didn't have instrument level input on the back till the AxeFX 2, but some folks say it's still useable and flat response if you send a good signal into it.

The G55 Wireless has a balanced XLR output has 150ohms output impedance. The rear line inputs on the Ultra have 10k input impedance and 1M on the front input.

Is this my best option below? A few folks have said a DI would not solve my issue.

I don't have the rig at the moment so I can't test, will be getting it back soon.

Cheers!

MUmelfr.jpg

If they are close to each other dont over think it, just use the 1/4" on the wireless to the 1/4" on the Ultra..

The gain drops like crazy and sounds flat and weak using that technique
Straight from the manual:

“To connect to an instrument amplifier or other audio equipment with a quarter-inch connector such as a signal processor or effects unit, use a quarter-inch to quarter-inch instrument cable; this output is also mic level.”
Its mic level so gonna need something to convert to instrument or line level...

Last edited:
Yeah, it´s not the impedance since 150 into 10K should be fine, it´s gotta be the level that´s too low. It´s fine going into the front, I presume?

Yeah, it´s not the impedance since 150 into 10K should be fine, it´s gotta be the level that´s too low. It´s fine going into the front, I presume?
Totally fine going in the front. The rear input drops the gain and volume. Obviously ruins all the gates I created too.

Are you going in with something else in the front? Otherwise it´s obviously not a big deal to bring the cable around that way, certainly easier than boosting the mic level up to the line vicinity. But in the end I guess most any clean boost or preamp will do.

Are you going in with something else in the front? Otherwise it´s obviously not a big deal to bring the cable around that way, certainly easier than boosting the mic level up to the line vicinity. But in the end I guess most any clean boost or preamp will do.
No, I'm running a rack system so no front inputs. However when I run the exact system through the front, it runs perfect.

I'm getting alot of mixed messages from the forums including:

- It's fine, just use it (clearly incorrect)
- Just boost the input volume (already max on the G55)
- Use a DI (not exactly solving the issue)
- Use the Balanced XLR our of the G55 to the rear of the AxeFX (seems best thing to test first)

No, I'm running a rack system so no front inputs. However when I run the exact system through the front, it runs perfect.

- Use the Balanced XLR our of the G55 to the rear of the AxeFX (seems best thing to test first)
Its mic level, doesnt matter which connector you use on the G55. You need to use the front input on the Ultra or just get a preamp or Wireless that outputs line level if you are stuck using the rear input...

Well, I still think your best bet is going into the front from the wireless. It wouldn´t be the first rack to have a cable coming round to the front, even the big Bradshaw racks sometimes used patchbays (in Bob´s vocabulary they´re "thru" jacks) or just a gap between units to connect the front and back sides of the racks. Seems like a small price to pay to avoid a headache.

Boosting the input volume with an additional piece of gear is the only thing that will get you the results you want from the back input.

Well, I still think your best bet is going into the front from the wireless. It wouldn´t be the first rack to have a cable coming round to the front, even the big Bradshaw racks sometimes used patchbays (in Bob´s vocabulary they´re "thru" jacks) or just a gap between units to connect the front and back sides of the racks. Seems like a small price to pay to avoid a headache.

Boosting the input volume with an additional piece of gear is the only thing that will get you the results you want from the back input.

I might need to get the drill out then!

As always, the rack ends up being 1U short... and another 1U short and so on into infinity :D

Trying to think back to my days using the Ultra (it's been awhile), not sure if this is related, but did you set the I/O button on the front to "Analog Rear" and try that? I always ran it set to the front because there was a thought there was some "special sauce" to the front input that sounded better, but I remember there was that I/O setting as well.

Back