Headphone Recommendations

Just wondering what headphones other Captor X users have used and can recommend? Just now I'm using Superlux HD681B for silent practice but wondering what a decent upgrade might be.

Pretty much use what you're used to, that way the "I know what my headphones sound like" part of the equation is taken care of. If you haven't picked up any headphones in a while, it's a big investment if you're going to drop cake on 'em. To me they're one of the most important pieces of kit to own - and I own several. But what my ears are used to versus the next guy's is likely vastly different. So it's not about which are the best headphones - it's which are the best for you to know what music sounds like to your ears. And once that reference point has been established, then you'll be able to tweak things like the CaptorX to sound the way "you want it to" through the cans you're accustomed to.

My recording space is perfect for "me" - using a mixture of HS7 monitors, and higher-end Beyerdynamics (closed and open) eargoggles. Some say both those brands/models are on-the-nose in the peaky-mids department; maybe so. I find my ears are into that revealing quality. Other people with equally good ears will say they prefer the "balanced" sound of the Senns, or Focal, or whatever. Fact is - it's really personal preference - no one can say "these are better than those" when comparing similarly spec'd headphones. It's like someone saying this color is better than that color. What matters is that you get the headphones that give you the detail you want, and so you know what all things sound like exactly through those headphones only; then use them for everything as they're your "extended anatomical ears" - if that makes sense??

Peace
Unkle Mo

Pretty much use what you're used to, that way the "I know what my headphones sound like" part of the equation is taken care of. If you haven't picked up any headphones in a while, it's a big investment if you're going to drop cake on 'em. To me they're one of the most important pieces of kit to own - and I own several. But what my ears are used to versus the next guy's is likely vastly different. So it's not about which are the best headphones - it's which are the best for you to know what music sounds like to your ears. And once that reference point has been established, then you'll be able to tweak things like the CaptorX to sound the way "you want it to" through the cans you're accustomed to.

My recording space is perfect for "me" - using a mixture of HS7 monitors, and higher-end Beyerdynamics (closed and open) eargoggles. Some say both those brands/models are on-the-nose in the peaky-mids department; maybe so. I find my ears are into that revealing quality. Other people with equally good ears will say they prefer the "balanced" sound of the Senns, or Focal, or whatever. Fact is - it's really personal preference - no one can say "these are better than those" when comparing similarly spec'd headphones. It's like someone saying this color is better than that color. What matters is that you get the headphones that give you the detail you want, and so you know what all things sound like exactly through those headphones only; then use them for everything as they're your "extended anatomical ears" - if that makes sense??

Peace
Unkle Mo
Thanks, that's really helpful! I had Beyerdynamic DT880 Pros (250 Ohm ones) and I wasn't a big fan. I felt they clamped too tight for my liking and I wasn't that impressed with the sound from them although I didn't hear any issues with treble like a lot of people say about them. Might check out some Sennheiser HD6xx ones and see how I get on but actually in recent playing I actually think the Superlux ones punch above their weight for me. Just adjusting my amp a little with the Captor X really brought out a nicer sound instantly. It's definitely nice to be able to turn the amp up louder than I'd get away with through the cab and listen on headphones!

Thanks, that's really helpful! I had Beyerdynamic DT880 Pros (250 Ohm ones) and I wasn't a big fan. I felt they clamped too tight for my liking and I wasn't that impressed with the sound from them although I didn't hear any issues with treble like a lot of people say about them. Might check out some Sennheiser HD6xx ones and see how I get on but actually in recent playing I actually think the Superlux ones punch above their weight for me. Just adjusting my amp a little with the Captor X really brought out a nicer sound instantly. It's definitely nice to be able to turn the amp up louder than I'd get away with through the cab and listen on headphones!
(I still have my old DT880 Pros as well, but moved up the foodchain to DT1770 Pro and DT1990 Pro for my closed / open desk sets)

Just get something that gives you the information you want. Not all headphones are designed to make music sound "good", they're made to "reveal the music". You just need to try 'em out and see what you want. Senns are great cans - and I know a lot of people fall into the HD650 camp and are very pleased with those and their newer iterations. Play some reference music through them to establish a baseline - and compare with the same song(s) from same source when trying different cans. The right ones usually pop out pretty quick from the pack.

Back