Most Underrated Amp you've played?

Vox AC30HW. That thing will do essentially whatever a Marshall 2204 will do, which is a lot of awesome stuff.

Boogie DC-10 head, jcm2000 DSL, jet city stuff
I have a DC-3 I picked up for like $400, mainly use it as a backup but it is a legit great amp. my ONLY beef with it is that the loop is a tone suck, otherwise I might just play it all the time. Thought about sending it to Mesa to see if there were any mods\fixes for the loop that would help.

Randall RG 100/80es. For the price (or what they used to cost) really nice tone.
Agree 100%, those amps kill, and not just for the Dimebag tone, you can get a good modded marshall type of tone out of one with a overdrive set as a boost.
Find the Alice In Chains "we die young" demo, that's a boosted rg80es. Sounds great, even meaner sounding than the album version IMO.

Other underrated amps are the Peavey VTM's, fricken loud amps, but great sounding, also the Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber +, not so powerful but they have great tone. Think COC "deliverance", that was recorded with a .50 caliber +, like "albatross" and "clean my wounds" both .50 cal + straight in with a LP and SG.

Last edited:
Agree 100%, those amps kill, and not just for the Dimebag tone, you can get a good modded marshall type of tone out of one with a overdrive set as a boost.
Find the Alice In Chains "we die young" demo, that's a boosted rg80es. Sounds great, even meaner sounding than the album version IMO.
Was it really a Randall RG80 on the demo? I think I hear the grind of an RG80ES or 100ES.

Bugera 333. Expectations were low and it far exceeded them. Good right out of the box and after replacing the stock preamp tubes it was a winner.

Was it really a Randall RG80 on the demo? I think I hear the grind of an RG80ES or 100ES.

Yup absolutely, that was Jerry's only amp at the time. You can see alot of old live recordings from AIC in the late 80's using a rg80es, this was right before they went and recorded Facelift. Facelift was a modded Marshall. To be honest, the RG100/80ES heads are not so underrated these days, people are catching on to how great they sound now, which is why they seem to fetch pretty high prices for mint condition ones.

Last edited:
Yup absolutely, that was Jerry's only amp at the time. You can see alot of old live recordings from AIC in the late 80's using a rg80es, this was right before they went and recorded Facelift. Facelift was a modded Marshall.
It has been said by many here that the Randall RG100ES was basically designed off of a Jose Arredondo Marshall. I remember Lynch used them live and on Tooth and Nail. I saw an old Tesla video the other day and looks like they were using them back in the day as well.

I have a DC-3 I picked up for like $400, mainly use it as a backup but it is a legit great amp. my ONLY beef with it is that the loop is a tone suck, otherwise I might just play it all the time. Thought about sending it to Mesa to see if there were any mods\fixes for the loop that would help.
Dude, I am going to catch flack for it, but I think the DC series are legitimately better sounding than rectifiers, and many other boogies.

The DC10 was tough to dial in, but absolutely sounded GREAT. Not as flubby as a Recto and not as honky as a mark series.

I'm more of a Marshall style amp guy, but if I got a good deal I would absolutely snag another DC10.

It has been said by many here that the Randall RG100ES was basically designed off of a Jose Arredondo Marshall. I remember Lynch used them live and on Tooth and Nail. I saw an old Tesla video the other day and looks like they were using them back in the day as well.
Ya, unfortunately a lot of Hair bands seemed to get Randall endorsements back in the 80's, not that Lynch has a bad tone, he sounds great. CC Deville used them for a brief time too. His Randall's had the zebra felt on them.

Back