Audio recording software for noob

Mindys87

Hey,

I just got Two notes captor load box, with purchase you get wall of sound plug in with virtual cabs and etc. Never recorded anything before or used any software. As I understand I need to get some software to launch that WOS plug in for recording my guitar. What would be the best and easiest to use option for me? I don't have any desire to produce or do any difficult stuff, just record my guitar, so it would be nice to get some software where I don't have to shake my head all the time. Thanks.

Hey,

I just got Two notes captor load box, with purchase you get wall of sound plug in with virtual cabs and etc. Never recorded anything before or used any software. As I understand I need to get some software to launch that WOS plug in for recording my guitar. What would be the best and easiest to use option for me? I don't have any desire to produce or do any difficult stuff, just record my guitar, so it would be nice to get some software where I don't have to shake my head all the time. Thanks.
Reaper is free and is a great option to start learning.

If you want easy, forget a computer, get a stand alone unit like the ZOOM LiveTrak or TEAC Model 24. You need no brains to run them. You just take the unit out of the box, plug it in, hook up a microphone, hit play and record.

With computers, you need to think about what to do, and then you get to lose everything when you push the wrong frustrating thing.

Reaper is great. Cheap and easy to use and IME as powerful as any of us really need. Your computer will limit you far faster than Reaper. $80 and free updates for life.

Never recorded anything before or used any software.

Save yourself a ton of time and find someone experienced in DAW and see if you can get them
to come over and check out your system setup and walk you through the basics.

Reaper is a great free and fully functional DAW. I started with Audacity, it's much simpler to use but eventually you'll outgrow it. I think it's worth considering for it's simplicity. It's also free. But, one thing to consider it that you're going to need some sort of audio interface in addition to the DAW, and some sort of monitoring setup, whether it's speakers or headphones, preferably designed for studio use flat-response. You can get all this pretty cheap, but it's a consider you might need to be aware of if you aren't already.

Reaper is a great free and fully functional DAW. I started with Audacity, it's much simpler to use but eventually you'll outgrow it. I think it's worth considering for it's simplicity. It's also free. But, one thing to consider it that you're going to need some sort of audio interface in addition to the DAW, and some sort of monitoring setup, whether it's speakers or headphones, preferably designed for studio use flat-response. You can get all this pretty cheap, but it's a consider you might need to be aware of if you aren't already.
Thanks everyone for advices, appreciate it a lot! Do you know if i can use wall of sound plugin, which comes with two notes torpedo captor, with reaper or audacity?

Thanks everyone for advices, appreciate it a lot! Do you know if i can use wall of sound plugin, which comes with two notes torpedo captor, with reaper or audacity?
100%

And Reaper is really outstanding with a great forum, amazingly powerful, and constantly being tweaked and updated due to its open source nature. I've used Logic, Audacity, Pro Tools - stuck with Reaper and that's been 10+ years now - zero regrets. The best DAW is the one you choose and choose to commit to - they'll all do the same things more or less, but it's your familiarity with the product and layout that makes it functional and friendly - the more you use a DAW the more it becomes yours.

100%

And Reaper is really outstanding with a great forum, amazingly powerful, and constantly being tweaked and updated due to its open source nature. I've used Logic, Audacity, Pro Tools - stuck with Reaper and that's been 10+ years now - zero regrets. The best DAW is the one you choose and choose to commit to - they'll all do the same things more or less, but it's your familiarity with the product and layout that makes it functional and friendly - the more you use a DAW the more it becomes yours.
Another cool thing about Reaper, if you learn it and gain experience..the transition to Pro Tools is pretty easy. I had used Reaper a lot and ended up recording on a Pro Tools setup and a lot of the processes were the same or close to it. So for a young person wanting a leg up in the recording game, it's a free way to gain a lot of knowledge fast on the DAW side that can later translate to recording education success.

Thanks guys, i think i'll get reaper and see how it works.
Free use of the product - create a user account on the forums and also check out their "newbies" section (don't worry - they're not at all a condescending lot over there - in fact totally helpful all the time) - and once you start familiarizing yourself with the product, send them their $70 and buy the license - seriously, $70 for (IMHO) one of the best DAW platforms in the world - with 24/7 forum support and a MASSIVE databank of every question imagineable. Also check out ReaperMania (YT) by Kenny Gioia - guy's flat out awesome....step by step easy to follow instruction, RIGHT there at your finger tips.

Ya, Reaper kicks ass. And just to let you know, its layout is highly customizable to make it work for your eyes and mental workflow...another plus that many people don't know about.

Peace
Mo

Free use of the product - create a user account on the forums and also check out their "newbies" section (don't worry - they're not at all a condescending lot over there - in fact totally helpful all the time) - and once you start familiarizing yourself with the product, send them their $70 and buy the license - seriously, $70 for (IMHO) one of the best DAW platforms in the world - with 24/7 forum support and a MASSIVE databank of every question imagineable. Also check out ReaperMania (YT) by Kenny Gioia - guy's flat out awesome....step by step easy to follow instruction, RIGHT there at your finger tips.

Ya, Reaper kicks ass. And just to let you know, its layout is highly customizable to make it work for your eyes and mental workflow...another plus that many people don't know about.

Peace
Mo

While I don’t use Reaper, I generally do a slight cringe when I see people promoting it as being “Free”. As someone who relies on DAW’s and plug-in’s daily, I think it’s important to give these companies the proper support for their work. It will only benefit the end user.

While I don’t use Reaper, I generally do a slight cringe when I see people promoting it as being “Free”. As someone who relies on DAW’s and plug-in’s daily, I think it’s important to give these companies the proper support for their work. It will only benefit the end user.
100% totally agree. What they ask for a license fee is outrageously modest - and I'm a massive fan of their platform AND the product is downright fkn powerful, flexible, vast, and super efficient - you can even run it off a USB stick forchrissakes!! THAT is "forward thinking".

Back