More Fortin silliness...

Sounds like a waste of energy
Not really. When a previous poster says 'he stole some designs from small builders' I guess he's never heard of Marshall. Hint: they're kind of a big deal. His 'ZUUL' is the stolen noise gate design from the Marshall JCM 800 KK. His other amps, 'Meathead' etc etc all are ripoffs of Larry amps and Driftwood? I think? Or another Eu designer.
Either way, as I do agree that Mike is a nice guy (had a Ceriatone Cali mod that the PT shit the bed; he helped my tech navigate his mod) it still doesn't excuse the blatant rip offs that he performed to launch his brand. Honestly, if you read the back n forth that he did with Larry on Metro forum? Larry was answering very specific circuit questions on how a couple features, not seen yet on any modded or stock amps actually worked..Girth and Tight maybe? I forget. But it was very obvious what had happened after Mike's own amp line came out..and those specific features were now on Fortin's amps under a different name.

Not really. When a previous poster says 'he stole some designs from small builders' I guess he's never heard of Marshall. Hint: they're kind of a big deal. His 'ZUUL' is the stolen noise gate design from the Marshall JCM 800 KK. His other amps, 'Meathead' etc etc all are ripoffs of Larry amps and Driftwood? I think? Or another Eu designer.
Either way, as I do agree that Mike is a nice guy (had a Ceriatone Cali mod that the PT shit the bed; he helped my tech navigate his mod) it still doesn't excuse the blatant rip offs that he performed to launch his brand. Honestly, if you read the back n forth that he did with Larry on Metro forum? Larry was answering very specific circuit questions on how a couple features, not seen yet on any modded or stock amps actually worked..Girth and Tight maybe? I forget. But it was very obvious what had happened after Mike's own amp line came out..and those specific features were now on Fortin's amps under a different name.
Larry's designs are "bite and punch" and Fartins are "girth and grind" 🤔

And they are literally 1:1 copies of Larry's very idiosyncratic circuit

If you're ever in the Pacific Northwest you're welcome to come over and play mine🤷‍♂️ you wouldn't be the first - on rig talk or TGP. When you're in love, you wanna shout it to the world.
Can I get in on that action?? Haha!

I had nothing but positive interactions with Mike. He modded my Peavey VTM120 for me a little over 10 years ago ( I just recently sold it) and for 10 years a good number of really cool amps came through my room but only that VTM stayed. It was exactly what I wanted during that whole time. Now I pretty much just want a crunch tone and it doesn’t even need to be particularly tight.

I don't think he copied Driftwood. They came out after his amps and imo was't that special of an amp anyway. I offed mine very fast once I heard it next to my IIC+ and Wizard. What I don't like about these Fortin's is that not only are all their stuff rip offs, but they seem to also consistently sound worse than what they're copying and still ask very high prices for them

Can you provide schematics of both designs and show that they are a exact copy?
As @Racerxrated said, it was in the metro amps forum. Larry explained the designs in exhaustive detail before they came out in Fortin's amps.
Can I get in on that action?? Haha!

I had nothing but positive interactions with Mike. He modded my Peavey VTM120 for me a little over 10 years ago ( I just recently sold it) and for 10 years a good number of really cool amps came through my room but only that VTM stayed. It was exactly what I wanted during that whole time. Now I pretty much just want a crunch tone and it doesn’t even need to be particularly tight.
Sure man! You in the PNW?

Well at least he has good taste in what he copies, but maybe not the best execution. Haven’t tried a Steavens or Larry myself though

It always baffled me how many used to refer to him as an amp genius, guru or innovator, but I don’t really know anything about tech stuff, so who knows

Well at least he has good taste in what he copies, but maybe not the best execution. Haven’t tried a Steavens or Larry myself though

It always baffled me how many used to refer to him as an amp genius, guru or innovator, but I don’t really know anything about tech stuff, so who knows

They are both literally my two favorite high gain amp makers of all time :ROFLMAO:

The people who refer to Fartin as a genius are people who don't know anything about tech stuff, generally.

They sound unbelievably terrible compared to the “originals”... if he was ripping off my designs and his “copies” sounded THAT BAD, I’d be pissed just over THAT!

Also the Meshuggah was beyond terrible as well... what a flop of an amp, feel sorry for whoever jumped on that train... sheesh

They are both literally my two favorite high gain amp makers of all time :ROFLMAO:

The people who refer to Fartin as a genius are people who don't know anything about tech stuff, generally.
Well the one that pops first in my mind as calling him a genius was literally the amp/guitar tech of Meshuggah. He called him a genius in one of the premier guitar video interviews. Was one of the dumbest things I’ve heard actually, but I’ll just give him the benefit of the doubt that he was just being nice

Well the one that pops first in my mind as calling him a genius was literally the amp/guitar tech of Meshuggah. He called him a genius in one of the premier guitar video interviews. Was one of the dumbest things I’ve heard actually, but I’ll just give him the benefit of the doubt that he was just being nice
He is certainly a genius at hype, marketing, and stealing other people's hard work.

He is certainly a genius at hype, marketing, and stealing other people's hard work.

The industry is all borrowed and copied designs. Using just one example of this is Mesa Boogie directly copying, among many other amp manufacturers from the Soldano SLO circuit. Think about how much money Mesa Boogie made from a circuit that they copied. And yet we still go proudly buy that $3k piece of gear from them.

The industry is all borrowed and copied designs. Using just one example of this is Mesa Boogie directly copying, among many other amp manufacturers from the Soldano SLO circuit. Think about how much money Mesa Boogie made from a circuit that they copied. And yet we still go proudly buy that $3k piece of gear from them.
Yep. The banality of evil can be a persuasive fallacy.

This is true..but the difference here lies in the blatant nature of his ‘questioning Larry’ in a long ago conversation on Metro forum I believe. Asking circuit specific questions; after or before he received 2 Larry amps. 6 months later, Fortin amplification is born. Other amp makers have sued over the same thing. But every single product is a copy of an already existing product. At the very least Fortin could say ‘loosely based on’ and then name the original.

Back