WTB: Naylor Dual 100, 60 Super or Friedman Naked Head

thedimwitt

Wanted: Naylor Dual 100, 60 or Super Head. Not interested in combos! Anyone have one your not using? Private Message Me. I know, I missed a Dual on here last month. I’m dumb, sorry.
Long shot but what the heck, also interested in a Friedman Naked
Thanks

Last edited:
Wanted: Naylor Dual 100, 60 or Super Head. Anyone have one your not using? Private Message Me. I know, I missed a Dual on here last month. I’m dumb, sorry.
Long shot but what the heck, also interested in a Friedman Naked
Thanks
Just a thought-when they do come up, they are over 2K. You can order a new one (SD60 head) for mid 2K. I had a Michigan era SD60 combo and traded it-but now have seen the error of my ways. I'll be ordering a new one in a month or two.
Fantastic amps with the best feel out there; other than a C+ feel. IMO

Thanks for the reply. I was looking for a used one because I never actually played one. Only heard clips on YouTube. And as we all know, buying new gear is like buying new cars. As soon as you get it home, it's worth 25 to 35% less. Really didn't want to chance it if didn't have to.
But, I emailed them twice last week with no response. Do I need to call?
Again I appreciate your help!!!
Thanks

It took David a while to respond to my inquiry, but he eventually called and was great to talk to and spent a lot of time answering all my questions. We then chat back and forth by email. Not the fastest response time, but seemed very willing to answer questions once you do get a hold of him.

If I'm not mistaken I think I read that Dave Friedman helped Naylor design the high gain channel in the Duel amps.

I've always thought the Naylor's sounded great.

It took David a while to respond to my inquiry, but he eventually called and was great to talk to and spent a lot of time answering all my questions. We then chat back and forth by email. Not the fastest response time, but seemed very willing to answer questions once you do get a hold of him.
Thanks! If I don't find one, I'll give him a call next week.
Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken I think I read that Dave Friedman helped Naylor design the high gain channel in the Duel amps.

I read the same thing.

They sound great on every clip and video but never heard one in person,

Not correct,in fact Dave was very young when Naylor amps first appeared. He borrowed lots of ideas from a naylor amp. He was involved with budda but the superdrive is a knock off of a naylor preamp

Last edited:
Not correct,in fact Dave was very young when Naylor amps first appeared. He borrowed lots of ideas from a naylor amp. He was involved with budda but the superdrive is a knock off of a naylor preamp
I think you’re right about that. My Naylor is the amp I was hoping the Friedman’s would sound like

You’re right! I got that story backwards, the guy from perfect circle came to Dave asking him to mod his hundred watt Marshall to sound like his 60 W Naylor. He needed 100 W amp instead of the 60 W. That eventually became the Friedman Naked.

Last edited:
You’re right! I got that story backwards, the guy from perfect circle came to Dave asking him to mod his hundred watt Marshall to sound like his 60 W Naylor. He needed 100 W amp instead of the 60 W. That eventually became the Friedman Naked.
Yep, I believe the Naked is a Marshall with Naylor traits. I also remember reading that guys would send their Naylor to Dave F for a clean channel mod. Pretty sure Dave F assisted Dave King( Naylor owner) with adding certain mods that are now available to the Naylor. But not 100% certain.

Danny Russell designed the Naylor Superdrive 60. Joe Naylor owned the shop/company in Detroit at that time. After about 3 years, Joe decided to sell Naylor Engineering to Kyle Kurtz. Kyle enlisted Dave Friedman to develop the clean channel for the Duel series. This was around 1996. Guy Hedrick designed the reverb circuit for the Electraverb series.

Billy Howerdell went to Dave Friedman and had him mod his '78 or '79 JMP with the Superdrive 60 preamp and a clean channel which was pretty much what the Dual 60 was at the time. The difference is mainly the power section is a Marshall JMP power section running EL34's.

I've had about 10 Superdrive 60's, a Duel 100 (made by Dave King) and I had Friedman do the APC Mod (Naked) to a '79 JMP 2203. I've owned that Electraverb 60 Tri-Tone custom that has been sitting on Reverb for about 10 years now as well. I also owned one of the first 20 Superdrive 60's.

The Naked is geared more toward lower tuning stuff, like where Billy tunes to for APC. It sounds good in that realm, but it didn't sound great with stuff tuned up higher. The Dual 100 was a nice amp. The cleans were pretty much the same as the Naked, but the dirty channel was the smoother Naylor tone. The Superdrive 60 or Superdrive 100 is where it would be at for me.

There is one main difference in the very early ones and everything from then on: The first ones didn't have the stacked gain pot for the dual-stage gain control. To me, they didn't quite sound as full, but the tone was the same and all. The stacked gain thing added a tad bit of fullness to the amp, and I can hear it on all of the newer ones that have it.

Dave King is a great guy, and I wouldn't hesitate ordering from him. I plan to order 2 within the next year. I hope this helps answer any of your questions.

Danny Russell designed the Naylor Superdrive 60. Joe Naylor owned the shop/company in Detroit at that time. After about 3 years, Joe decided to sell Naylor Engineering to Kyle Kurtz. Kyle enlisted Dave Friedman to develop the clean channel for the Duel series. This was around 1996. Guy Hedrick designed the reverb circuit for the Electraverb series.

Billy Howerdell went to Dave Friedman and had him mod his '78 or '79 JMP with the Superdrive 60 preamp and a clean channel which was pretty much what the Dual 60 was at the time. The difference is mainly the power section is a Marshall JMP power section running EL34's.

I've had about 10 Superdrive 60's, a Duel 100 (made by Dave King) and I had Friedman do the APC Mod (Naked) to a '79 JMP 2203. I've owned that Electraverb 60 Tri-Tone custom that has been sitting on Reverb for about 10 years now as well. I also owned one of the first 20 Superdrive 60's.

The Naked is geared more toward lower tuning stuff, like where Billy tunes to for APC. It sounds good in that realm, but it didn't sound great with stuff tuned up higher. The Dual 100 was a nice amp. The cleans were pretty much the same as the Naked, but the dirty channel was the smoother Naylor tone. The Superdrive 60 or Superdrive 100 is where it would be at for me.

There is one main difference in the very early ones and everything from then on: The first ones didn't have the stacked gain pot for the dual-stage gain control. To me, they didn't quite sound as full, but the tone was the same and all. The stacked gain thing added a tad bit of fullness to the amp, and I can hear it on all of the newer ones that have it.

Dave King is a great guy, and I wouldn't hesitate ordering from him. I plan to order 2 within the next year. I hope this helps answer any of your questions.
Was waiting for you to set the record straight lol

Awesome info! Much appreciated! I’m curious how did the SuperDrive 100 compare for you to the 60? Is the 100 considerably bigger, tighter or more robust sounding? Did you notice any differences in tone between the Michigan or Texas made versions? I’ve got a Michigan made 1995 SuperDrive 60 (#72 I think)

Thanks for the info! What models are you ordering? Also if I'm reading your post correctly the Dual Series sounds different than the Super Series? And if so what is different in the overdrive channels?
Thanks

Back