WTB: Naylor Dual 100, 60 Super or Friedman Naked Head

There is one main difference in the very early ones and everything from then on: The first ones didn't have the stacked gain pot for the dual-stage gain control. To me, they didn't quite sound as full, but the tone was the same and all. The stacked gain thing added a tad bit of fullness to the amp, and I can hear it on all of the newer ones that have it.

Dave King is a great guy, and I wouldn't hesitate ordering from him. I plan to order 2 within the next year. I hope this helps answer any of your questions.

Yup - I found one for sale here in Tokyo and it's an amp I always wanted to try, so I grabbed it. But then tried everything wondering why it didn't sound as full and saturated as the clips I was hearing. Sent to Dave for some mods and check the caps -- turns out it was one of those early ones and I wasn't crazy for hearing the difference.

Awesome info! Much appreciated! I’m curious how did the SuperDrive 100 compare for you to the 60? Is the 100 considerably bigger, tighter or more robust sounding? Did you notice any differences in tone between the Michigan or Texas made versions? I’ve got a Michigan made 1995 SuperDrive 60 (#72 I think)
No differences between Michigan and Texas. The differences people heard were in reference to the stacked gain pot controlling 2 stages at a time and the real early ones that didn't do that. The earlier ones sounded a little thinner and tighter.

The 100 and 60 sound the same, but the 100 is bigger sounding. It's the difference you would hear with a 50 and 100 watt amp. The SD60s plate voltage is higher, so that can have an effect on feel. I never checked it on the Duel 100. It may be lower if it's rated at 100 watts. It still sounded the same. It was a great pair with an SLO100 I had at the time.

Yup - I found one for sale here in Tokyo and it's an amp I always wanted to try, so I grabbed it. But then tried everything wondering why it didn't sound as full and saturated as the clips I was hearing. Sent to Dave for some mods and check the caps -- turns out it was one of those early ones and I wasn't crazy for hearing the difference.
Yeah, I liked those older ones. I like the newer ones too. The difference is noticeable.

No differences between Michigan and Texas. The differences people heard were in reference to the stacked gain pot controlling 2 stages at a time and the real early ones that didn't do that. The earlier ones sounded a little thinner and tighter.

The 100 and 60 sound the same, but the 100 is bigger sounding. It's the difference you would hear with a 50 and 100 watt amp. The SD60s plate voltage is higher, so that can have an effect on feel. I never checked it on the Duel 100. It may be lower if it's rated at 100 watts. It still sounded the same. It was a great pair with an SLO100 I had at the time.
Cool thanks! I’m gonna pick up my ‘89 SLO soon from tech and have been very curious to compare it to my Naylor. Both are top 5 amps for me. Naylor probably top 3 actually

Last edited:
I tinkered with Naylors for years. They're great amps. I think I remember seeing Carl Espinoza posting here. He knows the circuit inside and out.

Cool thanks! I’m gonna pick up my ‘89 SLO soon from tech and have been very curious to compare it to my Naylor. Both are top 5 amps for me. Naylor probably too 3 actually
Same here... SLO, Naylor, Ecstasy 101B, Mesa Mark and Custom Audio OD100 Classic Plus for me. I like the Fryette Ultra-Lead for downtuned stuff.

Just wondering how crazy a Naylor is? I hear it seems like a low gain to mid gain marshally thingy? Does it metal?

Last edited:
Just wondering how crazy a Naylor is? I hear it seems like a low gain to mid gain marshally thingy? Does it metal?
Mine has a little more gain on tap than a stock jcm800/jmp2203, but not a lot more, although he has higher gain option, but I heard it’s not that much more or different sounding. It responds great to boosts, especially my Klon. Like a jcm800/jmp2203, I think with a good boost, and maybe also hotter pickups if needed, it can be an awesome metal amp that’ll be plenty tight and articulate, but not a modern kinda sound really. It can get more modern with a boost like my Protone Dino Cazares overdrive, but will never be super modern like my Megalith Beta for example

Mine has a little more gain on tap than a stock jcm800/jmp2203, but not a lot more, although he has higher gain option, but I heard it’s not that much more or different sounding. It responds great to boosts, especially my Klon. Like a jcm800/jmp2203, I think with a good boost, and maybe also hotter pickups if needed, it can be an awesome metal amp that’ll be plenty tight and articulate, but not a modern kinda sound really. It can get more modern with a boost like my Protone Dino Cazares overdrive, but will never be super modern like my Megalith Beta for example

Thanks alot for ya insight !!

Thanks alot for ya insight !!
Sam nailed it. My Duel 100 is from 2011, and plugged straight in there is enough gain for metal. I prefer a little more, so I’ll boost it with a Boss 7 band, flatlined, with the level slightly elevated. It wont be modern, but thick and woody, like an old Marshall, and tighter, with much more available low end. The amps voicing is extremely raw and aggressive. With a clean boost, the amp will get downright vicious. Think vintage Marshall, but tighter, with way more low end, lower mids, and the aggression near that of a Recto. I love heavy as fuck tones, and this amp delivers in spades. I rolled the dice on Sam and Tom Racerxrated’s recommendations, and couldn’t be happier with this amp. I’ve had or played most amps available and the Naylor is one of the best you can buy.

Last edited:
@Beyond Black wow... that seems nice !! I got day to day on Naylor amp popping up.. i check their website and found there are two models... the super series and duel series... i guess the duel series has more gain and flexibility ?

I'm gonna add that they love V30s...they also sound good through GBs, 65s but the V30 is a great match for the Naylor.
To me they were meh with V30’s honestly, but I’ve been spoiled I guess by my other speakers. Compared to hearing it with JBL D120F’s (also JBL’s mixed with GB’s), which really brought the amp to life or even my Gold’s or 20 watt Heritage GB’s I thought the V30’s sounded bland with it comparatively, nowhere near as good imo, but would probably still sound better than most speakers made to day with it. The old ‘60’s Alnico Blues can also bring out a real silky quality in it as well as in other amps

Last edited:
To me they were meh with V30’s honestly, but I’ve been spoiled I guess by my other speakers. Compared to hearing it with JBL D120F’s (also JBL’s mixed with GB’s), which really brought the amp to life or even my Gold’s or 20 watt Heritage GB’s I thought the V30’s sounded bland with it comparatively, nowhere near as good imo, but would probably still sound better than most speakers made to day with it. The old ‘60’s Alnico Blues can also bring out a real silky quality in it as well as in other amps
..and that's where we hear things differently. Maybe it's the Mesa cab that I have? Vs your Diezel? But for whatever reason, the V30 Traditional sounded much better than my 74(now sold) or even my original Pulsonic 72 Marshall slant...not bad by any means but VERY good with the Mesa cab. Almost perfect. My G12 65 cab also sounded good.
Funny thing though; I have my son's cheap 2x12 with the dreaded G12M-70s....which are one of THE worst speakers Celestion ever produced. The Naylor actually sounded damn good through those. Go figure.

..and that's where we hear things differently. Maybe it's the Mesa cab that I have? Vs your Diezel? But for whatever reason, the V30 Traditional sounded much better than my 74(now sold) or even my original Pulsonic 72 Marshall slant...not bad by any means but VERY good with the Mesa cab. Almost perfect. My G12 65 cab also sounded good.
Funny thing though; I have my son's cheap 2x12 with the dreaded G12M-70s....which are one of THE worst speakers Celestion ever produced. The Naylor actually sounded damn good through those. Go figure.
The cab itself could be a big part of it possibly or also the Mesa V30’s being different from the Chinese ones I have. It’s not that I think my Naylor sounds bad with my V30’s, it’s quite good actually, just not half as good as it is to me with either D120F’s, vintage blues, gold’s or having 20 watt GB’s (NOT 25’s) on top and the D120F’s on bottom. 20 is to my ears much better than 25 watt GB’s and I have myself a 25 watt pre-rola GB that I’ve not been using. If you get another Naylor I definitely recommend trying it with some combo of either gold’s, 20 watt heritage GB’s, D120F’s or ‘60’s Blues and I’m willing to bet money you won’t miss any V30’s with it. The real problem will be though finding those last 2 speakers and at a price that’s not crazy

EDIT: Gold’s I can’t say 100% for sure what you’d think, but the others I’m pretty confident in

The cab itself could be a big part of it possibly or also the Mesa V30’s being different from the Chinese ones I have. It’s not that I think my Naylor sounds bad with my V30’s, it’s quite good actually, just not half as good as it is to me with either D120F’s, vintage blues, gold’s or having 20 watt GB’s (NOT 25’s) on top and the D120F’s on bottom. 20 is to my ears much better than 25 watt GB’s and I have myself a 25 watt pre-rola GB that I’ve not been using. If you get another Naylor I definitely recommend trying it with some combo of either gold’s, 20 watt heritage GB’s, D120F’s or ‘60’s Blues and I’m willing to bet money you won’t miss any V30’s with it. The real problem will be though finding those last 2 speakers and at a price that’s not crazy

EDIT: Gold’s I can’t say 100% for sure what you’d think, but the others I’m pretty confident in
I'd love to find some vintage 20w GBs; or the vintage blues...but I'd have to get pretty lucky to find them for a reasonable cost. I'll have to fire up the D123/GB cab though when I do get another Naylor. Some amps just sound good to great with any speaker...the fact that the SD60 sounded killer with M70s tells me the Naylor is in that category.

Back