2nd impressions on the Cali

maddnotez

Banned
Not that anyone cares but Im digging this amp, it is pretty unique. Getting some great sounds and the more I experiment the better I get with the dials and the more I like it.

I will say it is not perfect for me. I think inherently the amp doesn't have enough saturation compared to what I like. The frequencies are all unique and new to me and still adjusting. Top end is a bit brittle but that makes the open notes sound really good and I bet it cuts in a mix.

It is a good amp and I like it enough to where it's going to stay for a while. Want to test my new cab when it comes and I have a couple of different boosts on the way as well. Maybe I'll try an eq in the loop and I need to test in a band setting.

One thing I will praise that I haven't seen mentioned about the Cali is the clean channel. It is excellent and one of the best I have played. The down side that will never change is the shared EQ. This kind of bugs me tbh. For the price it should be a 3 channel amp with 3 separate EQ's.

The good thing is I am not gigging so it wont be a big deal.

Just wanted to update my thoughts. I will make my final judgment in a couple of weeks I would imagine. Just need to test more. Cabs, pedals, another guitar and weather or not the Monomyth knocks it out of the park. If it does I may be tempted to sell the Fortin to pay for the Skeleton Key as I do want that amp. On the flip side the Cali is very unique so who knows.

Not that anyone cares but Im digging this amp, it is pretty unique. Getting some great sounds and the more I experiment the better I get with the dials and the more I like it.

I will say it is not perfect for me. I think inherently the amp doesn't have enough saturation compared to what I like. The frequencies are all unique and new to me and still adjusting. Top end is a bit brittle but that makes the open notes sound really good and I bet it cuts in a mix.

It is a good amp and I like it enough to where it's going to stay for a while. Want to test my new cab when it comes and I have a couple of different boosts on the way as well. Maybe I'll try an eq in the loop and I need to test in a band setting.

One thing I will praise that I haven't seen mentioned about the Cali is the clean channel. It is excellent and one of the best I have played. The down side that will never change is the shared EQ. This kind of bugs me tbh. For the price it should be a 3 channel amp with 3 separate EQ's.

Just wanted to update my thoughts. I will make my final judgment in a couple of weeks I would imagine. Just need to test more. Cabs, pedals, another guitar and weather or not the Monomyth knocks it out of the park. If it does I may be tempted to sell the Fortin to pay for the Skeleton Key as I do want that amp. On the flip side the Cali is very unique so who knows.
As my tastes have evolved, I have found that I like saturation. I used to hate it, but now I hear a Larry or a fortin or other dryer amp, and I am wanting saturation. To get that nasty saturation, but still have a tight sound and clear notes is a bitch to find, but it is what I like right now. I think you may be able to get more out of that amp by cranking it and getting the power section in it a little more. The clips I heard of the amp sounded good though. I was interested in that amp for awhile. I almost bought one new. And really with his stuff, you always should buy new. His limited edition gimmick is the best try for free situation out there, lol.

Of course we care! Specially if you're liking the amp! Cause by the end of the day, that's why we're here... to have fun with gear.
And even knowing I hate Mike Fortin for not keeping his word while dealing with me, I'm still happy to hear you're digging your new amp!

As my tastes have evolved, I have found that I like saturation. I used to hate it, but now I hear a Larry or a fortin or other dryer amp, and I am wanting saturation. To get that nasty saturation, but still have a tight sound and clear notes is a bitch to find, but it is what I like right now. I think you may be able to get more out of that amp by cranking it and getting the power section in it a little more. The clips I heard of the amp sounded good though. I was interested in that amp for awhile. I almost bought one new. And really with his stuff, you always should buy new. His limited edition gimmick is the best try for free situation out there, lol.
You probably only heard Larry clips that weren't using the internal boost and without mush gain, because the Dino 962 can be the most saturated and hairy amp I've heard to this day. No Fortin amp sound no even remotely close to any Larry I've heard or played. And trust me, the Dino, when using it's "Red Boost", it's the most saturated, still musical and bouncy, without getting, not even a bit, harsh or fizzy.

Of course we care! Specially if you're liking the amp! Cause by the end of the day, that's why we're here... to have fun with gear.
And even knowing I hate Mike Fortin for not keeping his word while dealing with me, I'm still happy to hear you're digging your new amp!

You probably only heard Larry clips that weren't using the internal boost and without mush gain, because the Dino 962 can be the most saturated and hairy amp I've heard to this day. No Fortin amp sound no even remotely close to any Larry I've heard or played. And trust me, the Dino, when using it's "Red Boost", it's the most saturated, still musical and bouncy, without getting, not even a bit, harsh or fizzy.
I haven't heard a lot. And I definitely wasn't trying to talk bad about Larry amps. I have a lot of respect for the guy making them and would love to try them. Just not a lot of clips out there. And could definitely be the way I hear them dialed in. Even so, they sound great. Just a little dryer than what I go for specifically.

I haven't heard a lot. And I definitely wasn't trying to talk bad about Larry amps. I have a lot of respect for the guy making them and would love to try them. Just not a lot of clips out there. And could definitely be the way I hear them dialed in. Even so, they sound great. Just a little dryer than what I go for specifically.
No worries, I didn't think you was disrespectful at all. I just wanted to clarify how a Larry Dino sound. Or one of the many sounds you can get out of a Larry Dino.
A music producer here in, specialized in Metal music, tested my Dino 962 at his studio. The way he did set up the amp he kept saying: "Never hear anything else staying this tight and clear with this amount of saturation". @VESmedic knows him too, and he probably was told about how this amp sounded.

No worries, I didn't think you was disrespectful at all. I just wanted to clarify how a Larry Dino sound. Or one of the many sounds you can get out of a Larry Dino.
A music producer here in, specialized in Metal music, tested my Dino 962 at his studio. The way he did set up the amp he kept saying: "Never hear anything else staying this tight and clear with this amount of saturation". @VESmedic knows him too, and he probably was told about how this amp sounded.

Yes, mark told me quite honestly your Larry was the best amp he’s ever heard... and as SBlue knows by now I’m sure, this is someone with, to me, an absolutely insane set of ears, who also is hugely critical of just about everything, and will call out bullshit when he sees it.... so to me, this says a lot about larry amps... especially since I knew going into it before hearing one mark was already ridiculously skeptical, to say the least...

Good to hear you’re liking it more.

What tubes are you using with it?

Also, it’s a Jose variant and a few simple small tweaks may make the amp perfect for your needs.
Had Tung Sol EL34B

The preamp tubes from left to right:

Marshall branded
Tung Sol
JJ

Might need a new thread but what would you recommend for the most gain/saturation for this amp?

Last edited:
Had Tung Sol EL34B

The preamp tubes from left to right:

Marshall branded
Tung Sol
JJ

Might need a new thread but what would you recommend for the most gain/saturation for this amp?
I like chinese 8th generations in Jose style amps. I also like Ei 12AX7 as well (just make sure V1 isnt microphonic). As for power tubes, its a crap shoot these days. I still prefer the Winged C's.... but since you're looking for more bottom end TAD might be the ticket. Maybe EH 6CA7's...

Yeah, if youre meaning any of my clips, smashed, they're almost all with the British channel on my Larry - which is basically the "crunch" channel.

the scream channel has an *insane* amount of saturation, while retaining tightness - I just don't generally use that much gain ever.

Yeah, if youre meaning any of my clips, smashed, they're almost all with the British channel on my Larry - which is basically the "crunch" channel.

the scream channel has an *insane* amount of saturation, while retaining tightness - I just don't generally use that much gain ever.
Nope... actualy talking about Mark Lewis, here in Nashville

Also. I like your clips, man. So don't take it like I am talking shit. I am sure I would love your amp, also. But you know how we get when we start evolving musically and you ears start really developing. I am in the beginning stages still of getting an ear for tone. Finally at that stage where I don't let others dictate my thoughts on what I like. I have found the voice that I like in the amp. So it is more about knowing what I like now, rather than trying to put others down; because that is far from what I am doing.

Also. I like your clips, man. So don't take it like I am talking shit. I am sure I would love your amp, also. But you know how we get when we start evolving musically and you ears start really developing. I am in the beginning stages still of getting an ear for tone. Finally at that stage where I don't let others dictate my thoughts on what I like. I have found the voice that I like in the amp. So it is more about knowing what I like now, rather than trying to put others down; because that is far from what I am doing.
Yeah man totally. That's what we all do right?

You find something that works for you - where you never plug in and don't feel inspired to write and create.

Back