There is something growing in my basement

Somehow, all the amps I've built or recapped have ghosting. It's not terrible, but I have pretty sensitive ears, so it sounds very distinct to me.

harddriver":13jv2r6a said:
I'm surprised that 100uf in the PI didn't clear up the ghosting. I'm running a 50/50uf can for 100uf in the PI in my 68 and it doesn't ghost at least it's not very noticeable.

So it that Rivera an attenuator or just a load box for tapping a DI line out?
It only ghosts around one note (an E of all notes!) and I just put 220uFs in parallel with the 100uFs for the mains and that cleared up the ghosting but I don't really love the way it feels now. I'll prob try removing the original 100uFs and leave the 220uFs and see if that works. The Rivera is a load box not attenuator. That is actually how I am playing it to find the ghosting: Guitar->SuperBass->Mini RockRec->Intellifex->Rivera Hammer 120->4x12.

Rick Lee":13jv2r6a said:
Somehow, all the amps I've built or recapped have ghosting. It's not terrible, but I have pretty sensitive ears, so it sounds very distinct to me.
Yeah once you hear it you can't unhear it and you know just when the amp is prone to do it...will drive you nuts.

A quick clip using a recent Strat build with Fralin SP42 in bridge. This is just a Vibe Baby and a little Nemesis delay into the amp into the '84 cab with orig T75s sitting below it. It was very loud. I'll make a dirty clip at some point.

Another quickie. Got a new set of Jalens for my Explorer. I wanted to try @scottosan Hybrid model and it does not disappoint. This was my Sunday youtube lesson so lots of fuck ups and shitty timing. I was trying to dial in a dark/fat tone like AT gets. Just a cheap chinese TS knockoff and a Boss GEQ, into the SB (bright channel vol at about 1:30-2:00) into the PS2 and rack fx. Not that loud.

Last edited:
Wow! that sounds fantastic.... What is the Scottosan hybrid? Like a SD 59/Custom hybrid pickup?

What speakers are we hearing in this clips?

Wow! that sounds fantastic.... What is the Scottosan hybrid? Like a SD 59/Custom hybrid pickup?

Thanks!

Yes similar to the Duncan. Its his Franky/78 coils which are very similar DCR as the Custom/59b respectively except 9k for the '78. A2 tho and his A2 kicks ass.

Speakers are a mix of 70s 25W CB/CB/GB/BB in the black cab.

It’s a Franky slug coil and a 78 screw coil. So basically you get mismatched coils in regards to both winds and wire gauge. You get 2 separate resonant peaks and an unusual aggressive voicing for the deceiving lower DCR of the pickup. To my ears it’s aggressive yet thick at the same time. It’s my Goldilocks pickup. Not to hot, not to cold, just right. I’ve tried it with both A5 and A2 mags and like both. It’s going to be slightly hotter than the Duncan. For 80 or 85 dollars shipped usually within a week, not sure current pricing, it’s the best deal out there for custom pickups

Last edited:
And for this set I asked him if he could do gold screws/poles because the guitar has gold hardware. No problem, same price, still super fast.

Hey Spider your Super Bass definitely sounds tighter than a regular SB. I think you said your were running V1A 820/10uf versus the standard 820/250uf is this correct? Are you still running this shared cathode? Either way it's got a killer growl to it...

Are you running NOS mustards or Synergy/Sozo'z?

It’s a Franky slug coil and a 78 screw coil. So basically you get mismatched coils in regards to both winds and wire gauge. You get 2 separate resonant peaks and an unusual aggressive voicing for the deceiving lower DCR of the pickup. To my ears it’s aggressive yet thick at the same time. It’s my Goldilocks pickup. Not to hot, not to cold, just right. I’ve tried it with both A5 and A2 mags and like both. It’s going to be slightly hotter than the Duncan. For 80 or 85 dollars shipped usually within a week, not sure current pricing, it’s the best deal out there for custom pickups
So what it the overall DC resistance of this hybrid? 12K?

So... basically it is the Custom/59 hybrid SD pickup...

Back