Wizard W800 gutshots

Medical equipment and airplanes are exempt from the RoHS mandate.

What?
You got some backup on this? The whole RoHS compliance thing was implemented well over a decade ago.
You talking stuff that was already in service prior to the new standards?

My one and only mesa doesnt have that ribbon crap.

My III doesn't have any but the modern multi-relay stuff?

markvgut1.jpg

I know what you mean, it can be a struggle. When I take the chassis out of the head shell and look at it, at the construction, wire and solder and electric stuff, it just F’ing sits there. What’s a reasonable amount of time to wait for it to do something? There’s also these weird holes in the black faceplate next to the turning knob things on the right, it says ‘input’ and ‘hi’ ‘low’? Why would you even need those ? What a waste of money, could probably shave a ton of $$$ if those holes were eliminated.

I understand, when you’ve got no real idea of what you’re looking at or for, it’s gotta be hard to tell the difference.
Let me be clear for you - comparatively, that’s an average amp build, as opposed to something like this:

I understand, when you’ve got no real idea of what you’re looking at or for, it’s gotta be hard to tell the difference.
Let me be clear for you - comparatively, that’s an average amp build, as opposed to something like this:

What makes that great... because the wires run parallel and make right angle turns. lol I'd be more concerned about quality solder joints/components over anything. Not that I can tell one way or the other on any amp. Also, not sure how you can tell how an amp sounds by a pic of the amp guts.

Since we're talking about Wizards vs other amps, you pay more because Rick build it. Every amp is masterbuilt by the guy who designed it and who has the experience and pedigree and the client base that the average internet garage builder doesn't. Not that those people can't make a nice amp, they just don't have the pedigree/rep/client base to command more $ for their time. If you don't like the cost, don't buy it. Noone is forcing anyone to buy it.

Not sure who laid out the pads on the underside of the PCB but I think they may have been tripping while doing it.

Untitled.png

Dude, it was the location that confused me. Usually they are on the main PCB with a series resistor,
and not on the power supply PCB.

Like this:

View attachment 85753

You're just referencing a typical Marshall layout. The other components in this photo ARE the power supply and bias. In the amp you asked about before, the power supply and bias were just on another board due to the layout. Neither are more or less common than the other and if you know what you're looking at it shouldn't be a surprise.

The new version of the SLO has an improved layout/PCB and they even used modern relays :)

IMG_1104_web.jpg

And here's a really nice SLO PCB (technically it's a printed turret board with double thru-plating!) with very high-quality components. And guess what... it's from a *gasp* DIY'er!

pa4_by_haftelm_dbcs1ka-pre.jpg

Mako also uses high-quality printed turret boards with double plated thru-holes and flying leads. Very nice. Mako's non PTB construction is also impressive. You can tell the builder actually cares about his craft. It's a labor of love.

29234_387645670377_1909598_n.jpg

dodo3.jpg

mak2finland2.jpg

Last edited:
Let me be clear for you - I’ll cut you some slack because you’re an Aussie who prob has a few bush pigs on hold to tend to 😂

Get back to us after you’ve actually plugged a guitar into the little holes on the front of the amp and used your ears to make an informed decision. Otherwise, to paraphrase, ‘it doesn’t look like it sounds very good’ is a pretty dumb mindset.

What?
You got some backup on this? The whole RoHS compliance thing was implemented well over a decade ago.
You talking stuff that was already in service prior to the new standards?
2004 to be exact.

Exclusions
Permanent exclusions from RoHS include the following: military equipment, space equipment, equipment designed to be part of another piece of equipment falling outside the scope of RoHS, large scale industry tools, large scale fixed installations, means of transport for persons or goods, non-road mobile machinery, active implantable medical devices, photovoltaic panels, equipment for research and development only available business to business.

https://2016.export.gov/europeanunion/weeerohs/rohsinformation/index.asp

Back