I prefer my 3 channel Mesa Dual Rectifier to my MK III & MK IV

Samhain

Banned
mesa_dualrectifier.jpg

I know that seems contrary to forum opine but its true.

Not surprised in the least…. There isn’t a single mark recorded tone I prefer over a recto, not once. And I’m talking true mark series tones, that were literally just the mark, not the combo stuff like Metallica did etc.

I like the sound of them, but back in the day I thought they had a mushy gain that gave shitty playing a pass..
I wanted the fast and sharp response of the Mark.. Did it pay off??

Definitely preferred my Recto over a few marks, couple C+'s and a IV, in a band mix. Everyone agreed and there really wasn't much of a contest honestly. Marks are too focused and sharp for me, in a nutshell. Still enjoy them, but not the endgame for me.

I’m sure you’ve heard it, but check this out for some killer Mark IV. tones.

one of my favorite albums, always has been! Absolutely love this tone, I thought it was a triaxis though and/or a mark 3? Either way, I’ve always loved This tone, probably my favorite mark series strictly tones. I love lamb of god but to me their tone is more in their vibe and songwriting and it just fits, vs just the actual tone by itself. Not sure how much I’d like it with any other players. Same with dime: I love his tone, but it’s dime playing ya know?

on that note, dead heart is still a pinnacle to me and many others and it’s phenomenal. It’s hard to compare politics of XTC to it though because obviously the song writing and more importantly the tuning was completely different. I’d like to hear politics slightly remixed, to especially remove too much of the rumble on the palm mutes/ low end, with some multiband compression etc. that would be sick with just a touch of it I think.

I have a tremoverb and a iic+. Some days, depending on the guitar and what I'm playing, I definitely prefer the tremoverb. Some days the other way, but I can definitely see preferring the MW. I'm actually surprised at how versatile rectos can be, particularly the MW and T-verb. I can cover a massive amount of ground with that T-verb and a few pedals.

What PCB revision and serial is yours?
I cant stand my three channel, worst amp ive ever heard :/
Its around 2012 or so. I didn't write the revision down last time i was in the chassis.
Ive never had an issue with the amp, its outstanding.
Like Soldano's alot has to do with the speakers.
Im not a fan of V30's. I use a quad of 1978 G12M 25 watt/75hz Blackbacks.

I think I have the revision before yours, 2004 or so. I think that is the worst one.
I have a mark ii, iii and v, impossible to like the DR with those around sadly

one of my favorite albums, always has been! Absolutely love this tone, I thought it was a triaxis though and/or a mark 3? Either way, I’ve always loved This tone, probably my favorite mark series strictly tones. I love lamb of god but to me their tone is more in their vibe and songwriting and it just fits, vs just the actual tone by itself. Not sure how much I’d like it with any other players. Same with dime: I love his tone, but it’s dime playing ya know?

on that note, dead heart is still a pinnacle to me and many others and it’s phenomenal. It’s hard to compare politics of XTC to it though because obviously the song writing and more importantly the tuning was completely different. I’d like to hear politics slightly remixed, to especially remove too much of the rumble on the palm mutes/ low end, with some multiband compression etc. that would be sick with just a touch of it I think.
Oh, it could be a Triaxis through a III, I may be mistaken. I‘m pretty sure I read somewhere that it was a IV, and it sure sounds like it could be one. Anyway, it’s definitely some nasty Mesa tone. I totally agree about the tone being somewhat player dependant. The attack of those players you mentioned are definitely bringing out the best of their chosen amps.

The MW Dual I had was a beast but so were the MKIII blue and green stripes. I liked the MKIII much more for thrashy stuff over the Recto but Recto over MKIII for DM type riffage. I liked the green over the blue stripe.

I love the Mark IV. When I plug into it I just think "this is good" like I dont have to boost it or do anything crazy with it. I am really digging it more than ever since getting the KSR 4x12 with redbacks and creambacks. Ive never played a Dual Rec in person though only digital representations(Kemper, QC, Helix, etc, etc). I know its not the same but those usually turn me off so much that I dont even want to attempt to get one. And I really dont want to figure out which version to get. Thats one thing I hate about Mesa in general, they have 50 different versions of the same amp that can vary widely in tone (2ch vs 3ch, Dual, Triple, Single, Coliseum, stripes, A,B, Rev C,D,E,..) its a lot to decipher.

Back