Driftwood VS Two Notes Loadbox: All Load boxes aren’t the same.

Driftwood is cleaner and less artifact-y' for sure but I think both usable in a mix. Overall i did find the Torpedo highs to be more cutting but that is with the benefit of going back to back. Probably wouldn't bug me if that was the only mix.

As for the technology, I am not sure the load is that diff between the Live and the X. All that has been added is the IR side of things and bells and whistles. I think their reactive load is sort of set now and I am not sure they are doing much to change it.

Well they definitely should! Haha. It’s hard to show exactly what I’m getting at I think because everyone is just seeing a snapshot here with the two units and just two different clips. It’s hard to show the actual problems with the two notes as a whole unless you are actually using it and comparing it to other units like the driftwood or suhr units. The two notes has more cut here yes but it’s harsh and fake sounding compared to the driftwood. Like I said for instance it’s so much work to make the two notes high end sit right in a mix: cutting harsh highs then just makes everything dull and frail sounding, while boosting any amount of highs makes everything way more harsh. Im just always fighting it, and I’m glad the driftwood made me realize I wasn’t going nuts haha.

Well they definitely should! Haha. It’s hard to show exactly what I’m getting at I think because everyone is just seeing a snapshot here with the two units and just two different clips. It’s hard to show the actual problems with the two notes as a whole unless you are actually using it and comparing it to other units like the driftwood or suhr units. The two notes has more cut here yes but it’s harsh and fake sounding compared to the driftwood. Like I said for instance it’s so much work to make the two notes high end sit right in a mix: cutting harsh highs then just makes everything dull and frail sounding, while boosting any amount of highs makes everything way more harsh. Im just always fighting it, and I’m glad the driftwood made me realize I wasn’t going nuts haha.

You definitely aren't... Pete Thorn did a shootout a few years back of various loads and you could hear the difference night and day.

I had a Torpedo Live and a Suhr RL at the same time and definitely preferred the Suhr as a load box. What IR are you using here? Sounds great.

I had a Torpedo Live and a Suhr RL at the same time and definitely preferred the Suhr as a load box. What IR are you using here? Sounds great.

Thanks man! This is lasse lammerts tonality suite from STL tones. You can turn off everything in it and just use the cab section, or post amp effects like delay reverb and eq. I highly highly recommend it. Lasse did a total of ACTUAL 9600 captures on this. So everywhere you move the mouse on the speaker is an actual true IR of that actual position: not just an approximation like other software plugins. I knew they were fantastic IR’s, but they are just so much better now with this loadbox, I can’t say that enough. captures by one of the best ( lasse) with a great loadbox is a sure win to getting as good of, if not better tones than you could do yourself with a real cab.

This particular clip on the full mix I just posted is a recto cab with a 57, and alittle bit of a 201 blended in just barely.

We all like different things. When playing live and running direct, the Captor X built into my Revv sounds fabulous. I used a borrowed Captor X with the Triamp and sounded great as well.

We all like different things. When playing live and running direct, the Captor X built into my Revv sounds fabulous. I used a borrowed Captor X with the Triamp and sounded great as well.

True. Ultimately, another great test is to record into mic and then send your capture through the same mic preamp to generate IR and A/B them. My capture even on my old crappy personus interface was close enough for me when I compared my captured cab with the torpedo sweep. Very very close that I am satisfied even if the Suhr to my ears sounds better. I still think making your own IR's is part of the fun and when you A/B them, it really is so close that you can't complain and think you need to buy another 10 IR packs that you won't use.

I haven't listened on my good headphones yet, but there's an audible difference over my earbuds.
You definitely aren't... Pete Thorn did a shootout a few years back of various loads and you could hear the difference night and day.
If that's the same shootout I'm thinking of, it was the Two Notes (Live I think), the Fryette Power Station, and the Suhr Reactive Load. The Two Notes was my least favorite between those. I think they have some great IR's though, but it seems their load just doesn't hang with some others out there.

Excellent! Thanks for posting this man. It validated the Torpedo is garbage to todays standards. I got rid of mine around last xmas and never looked back. I have the Captor X which is a WAY better unit except the attenuation feature is useless. I still want a Boss TAE to mess around with.

Excellent! Thanks for posting this man. It validated the Torpedo is garbage to todays standards. I got rid of mine around last xmas and never looked back. I have the Captor X which is a WAY better unit except the attenuation feature is useless. I still want a Boss TAE to mess around with.

glad you enjoyed it man. I’m sorry I can’t help it, it is absolutely pure fucking garbage, going back and reamping my guitars in old mixes, compared to the driftwood. It is just so unbelievably bad, and no EQing is going to fix this thing. It’s not ok, it’s not bad, it’s legit terrible to me now hearing it haha. My god man.

saxzamafone,

Listen to this full mix clip With the driftwood loadbox.
Nice clip mate! thanks for putting these up.
Sounds great, just had a tad too much lows coming through on my side, nothing some high pass wouldn't take care of though.

Seems a few people are mentioning the torpedo is old tech now so I'll have a little hunt around to see what's out there :)

Nice clip mate! thanks for putting these up.
Sounds great, just had a tad too much lows coming through on my side, nothing some high pass wouldn't take care of though.

Seems a few people are mentioning the torpedo is old tech now so I'll have a little hunt around to see what's out there :)

Absolutely too much low end on it for sure for that clip! But man id rather have it than not. I literally have to relearn how to mix somewhat because the frequency response is so different than what I’m used to. Definitely could’ve dropped the lows or added a touch more multiband compression than there was for sure, but damn it’s nice to really HEAR IT! Haha! Glad you enjoyed, hope it helped.

Take a listen to the full mix above.

Sounds great dude. For me it's down to this, the Suhr, captor or other one you mentioned :giggle: The two killers on this would be the cost (VAT?) and the wait time.

I honestly think one could get good tones out of each, whether I can or not is another question.

Last edited:
Sounds great dude. For me it's down to this, the Suhr, captor or other one you mentioned :giggle: The two killers on this would be the cost (VAC?) and the wait time.

I honestly think one could get good tones out of each, whether I can or not is another question.

For what it’s worth driftwood says another week and the new batch will be available directly from them :)

Found this: St Rock vs Suhr

This is a good one, good player too. I can tell you for what it’s worth, the whitechapel guys absolutely love the st rock. Zack is making an IR pack, has been for quite some time now, and uses the st rock exclusively. Producer mark Lewis ( black dahlia murder, chapel, trivium, cannibal corpse, megadeth remasters etc) has told me he loved the st rock and said it’s “ dead on” and I quote, to real cabs. So take that for what it’s worth too, the st rock is a winner for sure, but doesn’t get much notice.

Last edited:
I got the Suhr Reactive Load IR earlier this year. I'm not sure I'll record a real cab ever again tbh!!

I've tried the Two Notes Reload in the past; didn't like it as much from memory.

I got the Suhr Reactive Load IR earlier this year. I'm not sure I'll record a real cab ever again tbh!!

I've tried the Two Notes Reload in the past; didn't like it as much from memory.

Yea sounds like the suhr is a win too, would love to check it out!

This is a good one, good player too. I can tell you for what it’s worth, the whitechapel guys absolutely love the st rock. Zack is making an IR pack, has been for quite some time now, and uses the st rock exclusively. Producer mark Lewis ( black dahlia murder, chapel, trivium, cannibal corpse, megadeth remasters etc) has told me he loved the st rock and said it’s “ dead on” and I quote, to real cabs. So take that for what it’s worth too, the st rock is a winner for sure, but doesn’t get much notice.
I've been eyeing off the St Rock React after doing some more research.

I can't really find any bad words about them, all comments seem to be positive.

I'm guessing this would be a safe bet if I'm looking to upgrade my torpedo live.

Hard to find much info as they still seem pretty unknown online which is a surprise for what the product seems to be

I've been eyeing off the St Rock React after doing some more research.

I can't really find any bad words about them, all comments seem to be positive.

I'm guessing this would be a safe bet if I'm looking to upgrade my torpedo live.

Hard to find much info as they still seem pretty unknown online which is a surprise for what the product seems to be
There are number of small European companies (and one-man shows) doing pretty interesting things that don't get much attention. Their marketing is rarely great, the language barrier doesn't help, amongst other issues they face.

Shame, there's some smart guys doing cool things all over the world.

Back