Looking for a pick that doesn't aggravate arthritis

Dang...I just aged myself with that title. But, I'm having an issue in my right index finger lately (most likely early arthritis). I am wondering if there is a pick that is more ergonomically designed to reduce stress when chugging away?

What exactly is the pain? I get little nagging pains occasionally but if I take care of it, it has always gone away. By take care of it, I mean that I stop doing whatever it is that is aggravating it. Not stop playing, but the specific movements.

There are certain ways of playing that are just harder on the hands/joints. I try to NOT play that way so I can hopefully keep playing until I'm dead. Relaxing is a big part of that, I used to play so tensed up but I'm much more relaxed now. Just from making a consious effort to relax.

What exactly is the pain? I get little nagging pains occasionally but if I take care of it, it has always gone away. By take care of it, I mean that I stop doing whatever it is that is aggravating it. Not stop playing, but the specific movements.

There are certain ways of playing that are just harder on the hands/joints. I try to NOT play that way so I can hopefully keep playing until I'm dead. Relaxing is a big part of that, I used to play so tensed up but I'm much more relaxed now. Just from making a consious effort to relax.
The pain is specifically in my index finger knuckle, and I think it's from grasping the pick with tension and digging in.

The pain is specifically in my index finger knuckle, and I think it's from grasping the pick with tension and digging in.
I get that one too. They way I hold the pick puts a sideload on the tip of the finger and repeated movement makes the knuckle hurt. For me it was about relaxing, not holding the pick so tightly, and learning how to get a really strong note with minimal tension/effort. I also try not to move that thumb/finger/pick combo, keep it still and move my wrist. I wasn't moving it visibly but I can feel a difference.

I get that one too. They way I hold the pick puts a sideload on the tip of the finger and repeated movement makes the knuckle hurt. For me it was about relaxing, not holding the pick so tightly, and learning how to get a really strong note with minimal tension/effort. I also try not to move that thumb/finger/pick combo, keep it still and move my wrist. I wasn't moving it visibly but I can feel a difference.
Thanks for the advice!

I think it's from grasping the pick with tension and digging in.

I think you're 100% right and I'm not sure a different pick size/shape/material would help.

Not knowing anything about the chug chug style I'd bet a doc would tell you:

"Reduce the amount of tension you're using and dig in less hard." :ROFLMAO:

I think you're 100% right and I'm not sure a different pick size/shape/material would help.

Not knowing anything about the chug chug style I'd bet a doc would tell you:

"Reduce the amount of tension you're using and dig in less hard." :ROFLMAO:

Yeah...exactly! The conversation with a doc would probably go something like this: "What makes it hurt? ....then don't do that!"

Try these tick picks
1649283881138.png

Everyone is pointing to super thick picks and once you figure out how to use them they do reduce pressure and excess movement. Chicken Picks work for me

I recently discovered the DAVA brand of picks which has a rubber overmolded textured surface, and also the Mojo Picks from Fender which is basically their normal pick sandwiched in a rubber grip!

This might be something that’s worth seeing a sports medicine doctor about. Ideally one with a lot of experience working with musicians. I had a nasty bout of tendinitis in my left hand last year and between the SM doc and OT/PT I was able to avoid surgery and my hand/wrist finally feels normal again.

This might be something that’s worth seeing a sports medicine doctor about. Ideally one with a lot of experience working with musicians. I had a nasty bout of tendinitis in my left hand last year and between the SM doc and OT/PT I was able to avoid surgery and my hand/wrist finally feels normal again.
That's great news!

I'm another vote for " thicker picks " you don't have to go super thick but thicker I definitely think would help ... I use Purple Plectrums ... the ones made of Ultem sound great against the string ... glassy and super smooth ... the ones made of UHMW-PE are great also ..... SUPER durable ... the points on these last forever ... the Ultem points don't hold up to those and will round up a little quicker ...
https://www.purpleplectrums.com/from thier site ... mentioning hand pain :
A word on our picks…
You might be asking why you should try a Purple Plectrum pick. Well, if you don’t want to sound like everyone else, why would you play what everybody else is using? To expand on the custom shapes we mentioned above, you will notice that our picks are considerably thicker than most other pick manufacturers. Our thinner picks are around 5mm while the thicker picks go up to 25mm depending upon the model! The thickness in the “body” of the pick (where you normally hold it) being thicker allows your hand to relax. This is helpful not only if you have any type of hand fatigue, carpel tunnel, etc., it is equally nice if you want to maximize your tone while minimizing the effort to achieve it. The “tips” of the pick are expertly beveled/sharpened to promote perfect contact with the strings. The material along with the tip (or “tips” if you are looking at the Blade, Mythos or Aphaia models) allow the pick to glide across the strings, with minimal “pick chirp”. The UHMW-PE material that the majority of our picks are made from is unlike anything you have ever used (UHMW-PE is “Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene”). Our custom process produces a pick that is soft to the touch while still remaining hard and sharp. The comfort of these picks is unrivaled and the tone is unmatched. Please look around the shop, read some of the reviews that our loyal customers have left and let us know if you have any questions. Welcome to the Purple Plectrum family!

Attachments

• 20230114_092831.jpg
    20230114_092831.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 53
Back