Best Friedman

I've had: Slax, JJ100, 2017 BE100, BE50. Love them all. JJ100 was my favorite.

So much so that I had Dave mod an Egnater Boutikit to a JJ50 for me with some changes to make it very raw and aggressive: it's the most IMpolite Friedman out of all the ones I owned. ...To me, Friedmans can get mean and raw without being too harsh.

I have gassed for a Phil-X forever. Cool, single channel simplicity vibe. Never heard a bad sounding clip online, no matter who was plugged in. If I found the dough lying on the street and was ordered to spend it on a Friedman, Id have a Phil-X on my front porch. No doubt.

My BE 100 deluxe with sat and c45 engaged has rediculous amounts of gain- so much so that I hardly use those 2 switches...but they're there if needed

I didnt want to start a new thread but can anyone explain the BE100s and "handwired"?

I have a marsha, its all 100% handwired point to point. No pcb.

I had a BE100 2018 and it was a pcb board so I dont think its considered handwired. It may be, but the layout is printed on a black board vs the dark red old marshall style point to point.

So is handwired and point to point the real difference I am talking about? I have seen some older BE100s that were point to point. I am curious if those are pre 2016 versions or what. I am in the market for another be100 so this is something I should know.

A lot of this is marketing semantics but I think the most literal (and therefore encompassing) way to think about this is:

Handwiring is referring to a construction ‘method’ (and so it’s possible for some people to argue whether even a PCB can be handwired).

Point to point (though i think what you really mean is turret board, i doubt it’s truly PTP) i think of as a physical construction type. There is no arguing whether something is PTP or turret board - it’s either there or it isnt.

Handwiring used to be highly (probably completely) correlated with non-PCB construction but with the proliferation of PCB - and i would argue desire of manufacturers to overcome the perceived bias against PCB, many chose to emphasize the handwired aspect of their builds (even if PCB) to better associate their products with quality that had usually been reserved for turret board, PTP, etc.

Personally, I think all that should matter is the quality of components used - and the competency and care of the people doing the build, whichever method is the one being used.

A lot of this is marketing semantics but I think the most literal (and therefore encompassing) way to think about this is:

Handwiring is referring to a construction ‘method’ (and so it’s possible for some people to argue whether even a PCB can be handwired).

Point to point (though i think what you really mean is turret board, i doubt it’s truly PTP) i think of as a physical construction type. There is no arguing whether something is PTP or turret board - it’s either there or it isnt.

Handwiring used to be highly (probably completely) correlated with non-PCB construction but with the proliferation of PCB - and i would argue desire of manufacturers to overcome the perceived bias against PCB, many chose to emphasize the handwired aspect of their builds (even if PCB) to better associate their products with quality that had usually been reserved for turret board, PTP, etc.

Personally, I think all that should matter is the quality of components used - and the competency and care of the people doing the build, whichever method is the one being used.

This is very informative. However, the tone fairies cannot fit into a pcb...

Just a clip whore here gents, never even plugged into a Friedman, and being a regular on this thread for 10+ years, I should be thrown off for not. haha Outta all the clips, I say the Steve Stevens model tickles my trousers the most.
I think everyone was went in the panties when Jerry did his promo video for the JJ, and rightfully so. But I fancy Jerry's Snorkler tone on Facelift the most.

I have had a BE-100 Deluxe and currently a Butterslax and prefer the Slax a lot, personally. Tons of gain on channels two and three and the first channel is incredible for everything. Really probably my favorite channel.

Back