Best Friedman

I've owned the Slax and it's a hell of an amp. Channel 1 does great classic tones, and channel 2 with the gain cranked does awesome thrash. I could not get along with channel 3 though. It does not take boosts well in my experience, and has a harsh quality to it at higher gain settings. For that kind of money, I couldn't justify keeping it for this reason and sold it. Part of me would like to revisit as the good tones in that amp are REALLY good, but it's a lot of dough!

I actually had a similar problem with the Herbert MkIII (couldn't jive with channel 3).

I’ve considered trading my metroplex for a Jake E Lee signature amp. It’s the only Friedman I like TBH.

Is there a BE100 and a BE100 Deluxe, or are they the same?
I've owned the Slax and it's a hell of an amp. Channel 1 does great classic tones, and channel 2 with the gain cranked does awesome thrash. I could not get along with channel 3 though. It does not take boosts well in my experience, and has a harsh quality to it at higher gain settings. For that kind of money, I couldn't justify keeping it for this reason and sold it. Part of me would like to revisit as the good tones in that amp are REALLY good, but it's a lot of dough!

I actually had a similar problem with the Herbert MkIII (couldn't jive with channel 3).
At first I was disappointed with Herbert mk 3 . But putting 6l6s in and with time it’s amazing. I still prefer mk 1 over it . I would love to try Slax

My favorite Friedman’s were the Butterslax and Deluxe 50. Tried them all except the Jake E Lee, which possibly could be the one I’d like most. Owned for a while a Butterslax and Phil X and briefly owned a HBE/BE modded ‘78 Superlead. For the sounds they’ve got going for them I honestly much prefer my Naylor, Rev 1 Uber (over Butterslax in particular) and CCV, but I guess those are all hard to come by sadly

I will own a Dirty Shirly at some point, it's a must have for me and I am surprised nobody mentioned it as a favorite.

C
My favorite Friedman’s were the Butterslax and Deluxe 50. Tried them all except the Jake E Lee, which possibly could be the one I’d like most. Owned for a while a Butterslax and Phil X and briefly owned a HBE/BE modded ‘78 Superlead. For the sounds they’ve got going for them I honestly much prefer my Naylor, Rev 1 Uber (over Butterslax in particular) and CCV, but I guess those are all hard to come by sadly
Curious to know how much difference the Rev 1 has over the other revisions, when I had a Butterslax I found it to be superior to the Rev Blue & Twin Jet in most areas

JJ or butterslax . I’m not sure which one I wanna get . It’s between those two
Had both, liked the JJ. But I'm not out for total destruction, don't tune to drop A.

My fav Friedman for the heavies is the JJ, although I really liked the SS a lot, too.

C

Curious to know how much difference the Rev 1 has over the other revisions, when I had a Butterslax I found it to be superior to the Rev Blue & Twin Jet in most areas
I would agree. Would much prefer the Butterslax over the Rev blue or twin jet in most ways. The Rev 1 is way better. The only Bogner that’s really done it for me so far. Not generally a Bogner fan. Rev 2 also sounded a lot better to me than those 2 revisions (blue & twin jet), but not as good as the 1. Imho the slax has nothing on my Rev 1. It’s really sad that so many brands had their best versions a long time ago and then got worse with later versions. Wizard seems to be one of the few I know of that actually got better over time. Naylor seems to have maintained also also their quality of tone still thankfully since the ‘90’s

Last edited:
I've had a BE-100, JJ Jr and a BE-50. The BE-50 was my favorite. Either way, great amps one and all!

Just to play the other end of the spectrum, the Runt series - although very good sounding amps - just don't "wow" me with presence/thump/feel. The voicing was great, but just felt a little flat from what I think I was expecting. I sold my Runt 50 after a couple months because I actually preferred my Friedman modded Jet City 20 by quite a bit 🤷‍♂️

A clean Friedman pedal platform amp with lots of headroom would be interesting. Just as an excuse to name it the 'Perverted Pedal File' or something equally asinine.
That's how I think of the Buxom Betty.
Anything more than that would be like a super clean thing, like my bf Fender Dual Showman.

Owned a Butterslax and a JJ and loved both. I lean more toward the Butterslax myself but they're close in terms of crushing tone.

I have 13 amp heads . No Friedman. I think of getting Buttetslax or JJ . I have a wizard and diezels and Bogner Uberschall. I’ll never get to try one in person so I got to decide blind

Back