Any of you cats know when ESP is releasing the Man to Hannah Montana MX 250? My 6 year old niece really wants one.

She said she likes their music before they started wearing make up like Britney Spears does. I said me too, just remember what Cliff would do and she immediately gave the California Howdy.

Kids say the darndest things

Last edited:
DM was remastered around 2015/16 when it was put on the "Mastered for iTunes". It wasn't publicised just fixed. Take another listen and see if you agree. It's still a loud mix but not atrocious like it was. You can more clearly hear the bass and vocals without being assaulted by the drum mix obliterating it all. I don't know if iTunes remastered it better or Metallica had to to meet the MFiT requirements. Perhaps they kept it quiet as to avoid people saying "If you fixed Death Magnetic then fix AJFA also!" :)
I’ll have to listen again . Very cool

You want terrible? Metallica gives you terrible, baby! (Skip to 3:37 for the trainwreck)

People have been complaining about Kirk and too much wah for what? Over 20 years?
You'd think he'd have taken some of it to heart by now.
As soon as he stepped on the thing he fell apart.

Last edited:
People have been complaining about Kirk and too much wah for what? Over 20 years?
You'd think he'd have taken some of it to heart by now.
And soon as he stepped on the thing he fell apart.

i blame jaymz and lars for not taking a stand and just throwing the things out, i say things because i remember watching a gear vid of theirs and kirk has three of them on stage so he never is never not within a wahs reach

I blame it on the plastic surgeon who did the hair plugs. I think he went a little too deep with the needles. Kinda like crash course in brain surgery for the new millennium so to speak

Last edited:
Kirks been letting the team down since after Justice.
He needs to go back to Satriani for lead help and stop listening to a shit drummer construct his leads. Every lead from the Black album on has been forgettable wah wankery.

Kirk couldn't have saved the recent records even if he suddenly developed good vibrato and ditched the wah. Lars is the biggest culprit and not just because of his sloppy drumming.

On the "making of" Hardwired and Death Magnetic videos James is going through the motions of banging out throwaway riffs, part of a process every guitarist, even James, must go through to write good material but Lars says wait a minute, puts his 'arrangement' hat on and instructs James to put that mediocre riff here and double up that shitty riff there and before you know it they're in the control room crowbarring these disjointed riffs that fall well short of Metallica grade in to a 6 minute track of nothingness.

They need to go back to writing before entering the studio and stop recording every idea or their albums will continue to sound like aimless jam sessions.

Kirk couldn't have saved the recent records even if he suddenly developed good vibrato and ditched the wah. Lars is the biggest culprit and not just because of his sloppy drumming.

On the "making of" Hardwired and Death Magnetic videos James is going through the motions of banging out throwaway riffs, part of a process every guitarist, even James, must go through to write good material but Lars says wait a minute, puts his 'arrangement' hat on and instructs James to put that mediocre riff here and double up that shitty riff there and before you know it they're in the control room crowbarring these disjointed riffs that fall well short of Metallica grade in to a 6 minute track of nothingness.

They need to go back to writing before entering the studio and stop recording every idea or their albums will continue to sound like aimless jam sessions.
Good insight. I agree

They had no problem talking openly about just jamming whatever for St Anger and then using Pro Tools to edit the jams into songs. Hence 6-8 minute slabs of total mediocre, repetitive garbage. They thought they were being spontaneous…lol

Would love to know how playing it in front of millions of fans every year is a waste. I mean hell, a dentist could have bought it to hang on the wall. Or maybe it would have been better to be owned by a red neck hillbilly, playing it in his double-wide?

Waste in that he hides the thing behind crappy tone and too much wah.
Cool it's getting played for sure but ya gotta admit someone like Joe Bonamassa would put it to better use.

It is good to see it get used and not stuck in a display case in some Bankers mansion, but it's a bit of waste as Donnie said drenched in his current tone. It's like drowning a Wagyu steak with a cup of ketchup. It would be nicer to hear it in the studio with some nice gear to really hear it's tone.

i lost interest after the abysmal ajfa came out.
What a dis that album was to a true fan boi.
They even made a video after swearing that they wouldn't.

We had free front row tickets to a black tour arena show and walked out 30 minutes in and i don't regret it.
For me there are 2 metallicas.

The cliff version and the post cliff corporate version.

I was lucky to see them in a tiny club [the rising sun in yonkers] with raven on the kill em all for one tour and helped them load in.
yes i am old
James is tall and had an aggro attitude, kirk and cliff were total burnouts in a great way and Lars.....was lars - Mr hyper business hype man.
Even back then he was the band's biggest fan.
Without his hyper kinetic energy they never would have succeeded on the scale that they did?
It's his band and that's why they are stuck with his shitty drum skills.

At the Rising Sun gig they were beyond incendiary and there only about 50 people there. Raven was almost as good.
Cliff was shirtless in the denim uniform rolling his eyes back into his head while he thrashed, smoke machine blasting, Kirk with the white dress shirt on and a double flying V attack second to none.
What a night for a 15 year old me.I had fake id and looked older than i was due to my Italian heritage [facial hair and tall]
It was hot as fuck as the club's ac was not good.

YONKERS, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES

RISING SUN / JULY 29, 1983​

SETLIST​

i then saw them twice on RTL and hung out with them again.
first show at the Mid Hudson civic center with Metal Church who kicked ass and made me a fan

We hung out with them at the red roof in
James was again angry.
He was in a room with a groupie and she came out afterwards saying he couldn't get it up.
true story
Also some some poor bastard was outside with us while his GF was getting fucked by Kirk.

So it was me, my best metal pal from HS ,the cuck boyfriend and cliff smoking a fatty.
We also were passing around a bottle of Smirnoff which was later signed by cliff and kirk.
My buddy had a small walkman size tape recorder and recorded our smoking sesh with cliff.
He still has the tape....somewhere.

Cliff was wearing the dark blue walmart snorkel parka and spoke exactly like jeff spiccoli.

My pal had a denim jacket airbrushed with the monster from the jump in the fire ep and James perked up when he saw it.
"look at this shit!!!! holding it up and walking around the parking lot with it
Everyone except lars signed that jacket with a white oversized graffiti sharpie and he still has it.

POUGHKEEPSIE, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES

MID-HUDSON CIVIC CENTER / NOVEMBER 28, 1986​

SETLIST​

ENCORE​

ENCORE #2​

3-4 months later we went to L'amours in Brooklyn where they headlined.
It was one of THE BEST shows I've ever seen.

SETLIST​

ENCORE​

I could keep typing more details but by now you've got the point.
Back then I was too young to notice kirk's wah abuse and at that point it worked, for the music.

Same with lars, we didn't realize he sucked because at that point he was a decent drummer.
I think by AJFA he totally fell apart and it was obvious that he was not a natural musician or a drummer with a real pocket who took his job seriously. He was a great schmoozer and an intrepid business man which was essential for them blowing up like they did so they could puke out half baked albums that didn't retain the youthful dark twisted fire that put them on the map in the first place.
By that point Slayer had dropped Reign in blood and we knew who owned the metal drum throne from that point forward.
DAVE LOMBARDO.

It's hard to stay relevant with all that money and the machine that surrounds it when you've bottled lightning.
Kirk and James were hard core drug and alcohol addicts and to this day James still has issues large enough that they cancelled tours.
Kirk was roaming around the crowd at the Mid Hudson Civic show and came up to us and said
yo dudes, got any hard drugs"?
He remembered us from the rising sun gig,
We had a big bag of weed and offered him some but he declined as he wanted pills and powders,

He did sign my ticket stud and told us where they were staying after the show.
It is amazing that they were able to hold it together this long.
I contest that Cliff never would have let them get away with any of the crap they put out after his tragic demise as he was highly respected in that band and was quality control, knew music theory and was a renegade that had true metal from the bay area running thru his veins like Kirk.

Kirk is an easy target but don't forget he was playing a V in exodus in 79-80 doing priest and maiden covers AND TAUGHT GARY HOLT HOW TO PLAY GUITAR
He is core and as real as it gets.

Then there were the 2 times we met and hung out with Megadeth at small clubs back in the day.........................but i'll leave that for another time.

Last edited:
this show was a few weeks after the Yonkers show and it's how I like to remember them : Lou Reed, haircuts, makeup, rehab, tour therapists, french kisses, load artwork, and Lady gaga aside.THANK SATAN THEY FILMED THIS SHIT!!!

GIVE ME ALCOHOLICA!!!
MUYA A DREAM THAT DIED!!! :ROFLMAO: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk:

Back