NGD and looking for some Charvel parts

nigelpkay

After being inspired by the recent Charvel Gang documentary, I went on the hunt to complete a guitar that started out with a USA rosewood neck from the USA Pro Mod Wild Card series that I had from a previous frankenstrat. I tried marrying it with an MIM So Cal body but it just never seemed to gel for me.

Recently I lucked out on Reverb finding a fairly local to me USA Pro Mod San Dimas body from the same Wildcard series, the matte black single humbucker body. They look great together but I want to replace the chrome hardware and Korean floyd. I’ve already switched the chrome Dunlop strap lock buttons with black ones, but don’t really want to go all blacked out so I’m thinking a brass volume knob and a 1984 Floyd Rose that is black with the brass fine tuners.

Finding it hard to find these parts though, Floyd Roses seem to be sold out most places, and replacement knob sizes and types seem all over the place. This USA Pro Mod knob seems slightly larger than the typical Jackson style knob, and slightly smaller than the knobs on the recent MIM Charvels. Seen a few brass ones on Ebay and Reverb but the size of them isn't clear.
Thanks for any guidance!

charvel.jpg

I like the way you are thinking with the 1984 FR with brass fine tuners. I bought a set of these last year and they are great quality. This might work well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333137771059
I have these on 2 of my 3 USA Charvels. Honestly I’d look for an old Kramer Focus, swap the original Floyd out for the 1000 and re sell the Kramer. They all came with original Floyd’s.
But short of that, the 1000 is actually pretty nice; I’ve gigged one of my USA Charvels hundreds of times without any issues. I’ve swapped them since for originals but I’ve honestly not noticed much difference, other than flutter which I really don’t do.

Thanks, yes I saw those brass ones online for sale and was hoping someone else had tried them first. I’ll probably go with that one.

My only problem with the 1000 Korean floyds is that the bar always wiggles, it’s a huge pet peeve and I can’t stand it. I bought an original FR for my other MIM Charvel and the bar is solid.

Thanks, yes I saw those brass ones online for sale and was hoping someone else had tried them first. I’ll probably go with that one.

My only problem with the 1000 Korean floyds is that the bar always wiggles, it’s a huge pet peeve and I can’t stand it. I bought an original FR for my other MIM Charvel and the bar is solid.
I have used the brass fine tuners. I actually have a set sitting in my parts box.

The issue for me is not whether they work or not… they work. It is what you have to do to install them.

Ever notice how the factory installed fine tuners only back out so far then stop? That is because the tuners are staked. In other words the threads are intentionally deformed at the bottom of the fine tuner so they cannot back all the way out.

The correct way to remove the factory installed fine tuners is to cut them off and doing that really requires you to remove the fine tuner tension plate (which requires removal of the sustain block).

When you install new fine tuners you have to stake them or they will be able to back all the way out (and potentially get lost).

I did not stake my brass fine tuners and was able to take them off without destroying them when I restored the bridge back to factory configuration with new black fine tuners (which I did stake).

This is a cool as fuck guitar.

I don't know where to buy a vintage OFR but Warmoth has gold/brass/black in stock for market price.

Where did you find that 1984 OFR?

Reactions: PDC
It's not vintage it's brand new, I got it from a seller on Reverb or Ebay. Floyd Rose is out of stock of them last time I checked.
https://floydrose.com/products/frt1984
Yeah, I had no idea Floyd Rose sold them direct now. LOL. I see their selection and how it's all sold out.

The brass knobs are way cool. I'm a fan of OFR in a big way. I have 4 guitars with the 1000 and a couple with 80s Floyds. They all seem to wear the same, and have the same problems with the bearing on the saddle getting gummed up. German Floyds are what we want, but I don't hear a difference.

Anyway. Cool build. I'd love to have that guitar. Did it come with the direct-to-body pickup mount?

Yeah, I had no idea Floyd Rose sold them direct now. LOL. I see their selection and how it's all sold out.

The brass knobs are way cool. I'm a fan of OFR in a big way. I have 4 guitars with the 1000 and a couple with 80s Floyds. They all seem to wear the same, and have the same problems with the bearing on the saddle getting gummed up. German Floyds are what we want, but I don't hear a difference.

Anyway. Cool build. I'd love to have that guitar. Did it come with the direct-to-body pickup mount?
It’s a body from the Charvel USA wildcard series in 2010. I believe it’s Wildcard 3. Stock it would be a maple neck, but I had rosewood neck from the same series (Fiesta red wildcard based on the paint scraping on the neck heel).
The pickup is stock JB direct mounted into the wood. I’ve been thinking of changing it to an RTM or BKP Holy Diver but I quite like it as is.

I have used the brass fine tuners. I actually have a set sitting in my parts box.

The issue for me is not whether they work or not… they work. It is what you have to do to install them.

Ever notice how the factory installed fine tuners only back out so far then stop? That is because the tuners are staked. In other words the threads are intentionally deformed at the bottom of the fine tuner so they cannot back all the way out.

The correct way to remove the factory installed fine tuners is to cut them off and doing that really requires you to remove the fine tuner tension plate (which requires removal of the sustain block).

When you install new fine tuners you have to stake them or they will be able to back all the way out (and potentially get lost).

I did not stake my brass fine tuners and was able to take them off without destroying them when I restored the bridge back to factory configuration with new black fine tuners (which I did stake).
Man that is really good info to know. I was thinking about replacing some black ones with brass - forget that now!

Back